3-Card Spread/Questions/Journals

ChaimGarciaNJ

nicki said:
I agree with geministar and the one card a day, I only started studying in October and was getting in a tizz trying all different spreads! I then decided to go back to basics I bought a good journal and tarot bible then going through my cards randomly one by one (long process, but worth the effort) I wrote down what I thought that card meant then compared the meanings from my tarot bible. This allowed me to really get to know my cards and i now repeat this process with each deck I buy. If I have time i draw one card in the morning if not then I draw it at night and then apply that card to my day and write it down. One tip is practice, practiceand practice again. Hope this has helped.

nicki

Hi Nicki,
I have never heard of a Tarot Bible? Do you mean the books that comes with the decks or are you referring to something else? I think my problem is that I'm starting to read quite a bit on Tarot and hearing so many different methods, opinions, etc. that it's starting to confuse me a bit. I feel if I just keep jumping around and experimenting with different methods that I'll never plant a firm foundation and won't grow. That's why I'm trying to come up with a basic 'gameplan' for each day so I can learn my deck and develop my intuition. Perhaps I should take the advice to simply do a one-card a day and see how that goes before trying to interpret multiple cards when I don't even know what they mean yet?

connegrl

You can just get totally overwhelmed when first starting out. Look for Umbrae's threads on 'the Process'. It explains journals and LWBs. Most of Umbrae's threads have very good advice. Reading a card a day is a great way to learn the Tarot. Daily readings seem to work best for me when my question is 'what do I most need to know today'. Its not specific to any one area of my life and gives me more practice using my intuition. There is no one right way to read or learn Tarot. What works for one, doesn't work so well for others. And opinions are everywhere! LOL Just because I like to pull three cards without positions, doesn't mean that its a good way for you to start. But it may. I didn't start that way, tho. I like to do it because of the areas of my brain that I use when I do it. Reading for your self is difficult, because you are so close to the subject. You can practice reading by using fictional characters as your querant. This is great fun. Most of all, remember that this isn't something that you have to 'get right' or learn in a set amount of time. Its a path. It will take a lot of twists and turns. And the best book out there on learning tarot is AT.

Jen

sharpchick

I draw a total of four cards for each day. Three are cards from whatever tarot deck I am using for the month - actually for a lunar cycle (unless I get a new deck, which trashes that little system) plus a card from the GoddessGuidance oracle deck.

I look at the tarot cards as giving me information about the upcoming day and the oracle card is the Goddess energy which will influence my day.

nicki

If you have search thru the books link here there is some good advice for books for beginners, I bought my tarot bible at a local store its by Sarah Barlett, it goes thru the all the cards, different spreads, phrasing questions etc, its been a god send to me.

nicki