Kabbalah

Little Baron

I have read this and that about Kabbalah over the years, recently finding an interest in returning to my studies, as change begins to filter into my life. Or at least, the desire for some.

But like Moonbow, I want to study it independantly from tarot to begin with.

I have a selection of books, but in my limited knowledge, I am not sure which would aid my study the best. I also have a translation of the Torah. Is this something that can be learned from, alongside a study of the tree? Can I take enough from these resources to practice the study in my everyday life?

I suppose that what I am asking here, is does anybody want to join me on this path. Either as a beginner or a teacher that can assist with a helping hand. I joined a forum before, but it is not set out in as sophisticated manner as this one, and doesn't have sections for introductions etc. To be in there is like being dropped head first into the deep end of the swimming pool. Since I know people here, maybe a real 'beginner-style' study where we can ask questions, get it wrong on occasion and share our experiences would be more beneficial at this stage. I have read some stuff on Kabbalah but up until now, a lot of it has not 'gone in'. I think my study needs to be a little more interactive.

What do you think? And if you are more experienced, where would you recommend I start?

LB

MysticMason

The Kabbalah & Alphabets forum is a good place to start. ;)

Rav Michael Laitman is an excellent author of Kabbalah books from the introductory level and up (do a search for his books). You can also visit his helpful website at www.kabbalah.info.

Fulgour

I have found that making sketches helps
by giving a tactile appreciation of it all...

Attachments

• TREE of LIFE Worlds Circles.JPG
    TREE of LIFE Worlds Circles.JPG
    15.3 KB · Views: 185
  • Fulgour - Four Worlds with Daath.JPG
    Fulgour - Four Worlds with Daath.JPG
    16.7 KB · Views: 182
  • Minimal Pathways Version by Fulgour.JPG
    Minimal Pathways Version by Fulgour.JPG
    15.8 KB · Views: 174

Sophie

Kabbalah is much more than the Tree of Life, which is but one part of it.

I would recommend, as good intro, these books, by two of the foremost Kabbalists of the 20th Century:

- The SEPHER YETZIRAH, with an introduction and commentary by Aryeh Kaplan. One of the founding books of Kabbalah.

- The ZOHAR: The Book of Splendor: Basic Readings from the Kabbalah, edited by Gershom Sholem. Another founding book of the Kabbalah.

I would also definitely read Sholem's On the Kabbalah and its Symbolism, and its companion On the Mystical Shape of the Godhead: Basic Concepts in the Kabbalah.

In English there is a good general introduction called God is a Verb, by David Cooper, a Kabbalistic rabbi and a very good populariser. It's the best overall intro I've read.

There is a wonderful fictionalised introduction to the Kabbalah, called Le Kabbaliste, by Patrick Levy - but it's in French. I don't know if it's been translated yet.

As for where to go...well, your library and bookshop ;). If you want to study Kabbalah independently from tarot, then go to some Jewish sites, but avoid the Kabbalah Centre, which is cult-ish. One fairly comprehensive one, led by a rabbi who is also a scientist, is the Bnei Baruch World Centre for Kabbalah Studies, at http://www.kabbalah.info/

But have a look around, see what suits you best. AT has lots of resources too, and people like jmd or kwaw are always ready to answer your questions.

The thing to remember is that Kabbalah is a practice, not simply a load of arcane knowledge. That's where Fulgour's suggestion of drawing the Tree comes in. One important meditation in Kabbalah is to ascend the Tree of Life from Malkut to Kefer, from you to God. When it comes to specific Kabbalistic meditation, you can't go much better than Aryeh Kaplan's Jewish Meditation, as a teacher.

Umbrae

The Kliegman Tarot and the Tree of Life book is the best and in my opinion the only good Tarot & Kaballah book around.

There are a couple others that I urge against. One recent one was promoted by the 'author' who logged on to AT long enough to plug his book and vanish. That particular book is the worst excuse for cutting down trees I've ever ran across. even recycled pulp should hang its head in shame. It was not researched - 129 pages for $11.00 on Amazon of poor quality unsubstantiated claims, and amateurish opinions, and no knowledge of even the basics of Tarot or Tarot history. There’s a dearth of poorly researched books being thrown out because of the growth of Tarot and Kabbalah – please don’t get fooled.

Little Baron

Thanks guys.

Your responses have been very helpful.

I love your sketches Fulgour. They are great.

And thanks for all the recommendations for Kliegman. I have that book and will read it again at some point.

Fudu, that site looks very interesting, and even though I read one book by Yehuda Berg, I am keeping away from the Kabbala Centre and the family.

The books I do have in my collection are as follows. And ideas or views would be greatly appreciated until I get to buy the others that have been recommended -

Magic of the Qabalah: Visions of the Tree of Life by Kala Trobe

The Complete Guide to the Kabbalah by Will Parfitt

Kabbalah for Dummies

The Aquarian Qabalah by Naomi Ozanec

Tarot and the Tree of Life by Isobel Kliegman

10 Minute Kabbalah by Shoshana Cohen

The Torah

LB

rebecca-smiles

I just had a look on amazon for the sepher yeztirah and there are quite a few, each with different commentators, can anybody recommend those that are worth reading? (there is just so much flaky stuff out there, i don't want to end up with Madona's kabbalah!)

Sophie

rebecca-smiles said:
I just had a look on amazon for the sepher yeztirah and there are quite a few, each with different commentators, can anybody recommend those that are worth reading? (there is just so much flaky stuff out there, i don't want to end up with Madona's kabbalah!)
The one I recommended above - the one edited and commented on by Aryeh Kaplan - it's a classic.

rebecca-smiles

Thank you Fudugazi! I shall go a-looking for it....