Horary Astrology

Minderwiz

As I indicated a couple of weeks ago, I hope to do some readings shortly using the techniques of Horary Astrology. However before I start, I think I need to explain a little about this branch of Astrology, so that you know what to expect.

Most of the readings that have taken place in this forum have been based on the natal chart of the person seeking a reading – the chart that was drawn up for their exact (as possible) time and place of birth. However when Astrology developed, few people knew the time or even in many cases the date of their birth. This applied to those rich enough to employ Astrologers, almost as much as anyone else. Therefore instead of calculating a natal chart when they were asked a question, Astrologer’s calculated a chart for the time and place that they understood the question that they were being asked. The underlying idea being that the forces, energies, pressures which led to the question being asked were mirrored in the movement of the heavens – the Law of Correspondences ‘As Above So Below’. The word Horary comes from the Latin for hour and the chart is a chart of the ‘hour’ the question was understood.

What sort of questions can be asked – anything at all, so long as it is of immediate and practical need, as far as the querent (questioner) is concerned. The question should relate to current actions or decisions that the querent is considering. Thus the question, ‘should I go to Paris for my holiday?. is of immediate and personal concern. What is the weight of that bag of sugar? is not a question that horary astrology can answer – there is no decision or action involved. If the weight of the bag of sugar has consequences for the querent then rephrased in a form such as ‘Should I buy a new bag of sugar or will that one last me through the week? provides a horary question.

Horary does not work with frivolous questions though, or questions which the querent knows the answer to but is testing the Astrologer (and I’m sure many Tarot readers out there have met such querents themselves). Luckily there are some tests which the astrologer can apply to spot ‘duff’ questions or questions which are asked either too early or too late. You may therefore find that I come back and say that at the moment I can’t answer your question or that you’ve left things a little late.

You can therefore ask about any decision or action you are considering. If I’m not sure of what your question means exactly I will post back and ask for clarification before I cast the chart – only when I’m sure I understand will I do the reading.

For example, I recently dealt with a question on this forum which asked if a person would ever again meet the man she had had a romance with and who now was not answering her calls and was in another country. I answered her question ‘Yes’ she would meet him again but I had to point out that I suspected that the question she really meant to ask was would the romance take off again - and that question I did not know the answer to because it was not the question she asked. She might well meet him again but not in any romantic situation. So its important that you ask the question that you really want answering – you don’t get a second chance (at least not till some time has passed).

The technique can be very simple or quite complex (but that’s my problem :) ) Basically once the chart is cast, I do some tests to see if it is a valid horoscope. Then I check that the Ascendant and first House is descriptive of the querent and his or her situation. If this is so then the ruling planet of the sign on the Ascendant becomes the significator of the querent.

The question subject matter or the quesited to use the ancient term is located into one of the other eleven houses depending on what the subject is. Each house rules an area of life and in horary there are detailed lists of things ruled by each house – some of the things ruled by the eighth were discussed in the recent study group thread. Thus if you ask the question ‘should I buy a new car?’ then the new car is a third house matter (local travel) and the ruler of the third house becomes the significator of the car.

The next step is to check to see whether there is or will be a favourable aspect between the two significators before one or the other leaves their current sign. Favourable aspects are trines, sextiles and usually conjunctions. If there is such an aspect coming up then the answer is ‘Yes!’. If the aspect will be a square, or opposition or some conjunctions (such as with Saturn) then the answer is ‘No!’ If no aspect will be made then nothing will come of the matter.

Similarly questions about romance will be placed in the fifth, ones relating to marriage and partnerships in the seventh, ones relating to career in the tenth and ones relating to property – especially movable property in the second.

Horary is supposed to be able to deal with question such as ‘Where did I leave my spectacles?’ or will the person who stole my purse be caught? - indeed these are some of the most popular questions overall.

Much of the underlying principles are quite ancient and even today classical Astrologers from the early centuries AD are quoted but most especially the Seventeenth Century Astrologer, William Lilly, is considered the father of horary Astrology and his book Christian Astrology Volume 1 is still used as the textbook in many horary Astrology courses. Its on my ‘have to buy’ reading list!

If you want to ask questions about how to ask questions or any other issue relating to horary Astrology ask away. I’ve only touched on the main themes here but as soon as people feel confident to ask a question then off we’ll go.

One last point - I'm a learner here so I don't guarantee to get the right answer - don't bet your life on me being right!

lunalafey

hip to horary

I have not ventured into this part of astrology because I'm still working with getting familiar with the basics. I never took the time to know what Horary was, let me see if I have this right;
take a natal chart, take the positions of planets and such currently and look at the house(natal) that holds the 'subject/topic' in question...compare the two to determine an answer.
OR is it just where the planets are currently and their infuence on humans and other energies?

Minderwiz

Lunalafey

The natal chart is not use at all (unless the Astrologer needs more information) the chart is cast for the 'Here and Now' as far as the Astrologer is concerned.

So if you ask me 'Should I go to San Francisco on business next weekend or go fishing instead?' by posting the question on this forum then I cast the chart for the moment I understand the question - and it might be several hours later when I read the post - and for the place that I am in. So even if you happen to be in California, I will cast the chart for Standish, England because that' where I am when I read your question.

The planetary positions are what they were at that moment of understanding. So even if I can't do the reading or enter the data in my Astrology prog then and there, I will have to make a note of the time and enter that time (and date if it gets to the next day or later) in the prog when I get the chance.

In a real sense the chart relates more to me - the reader - than you the querent because its timing depends on my moment of understanding.

The defence of this seemingly bizarre process is that the Astrologer is the equivalent of the professional that you call in. For example if you get worried by your sore throat you will go and see the doctor. Only at the moment of consultation and diagnosis does the doctor begin the treatment of your sore throat. Even if you have been suffering for several days, the real treatment only begins when you consult. The same would be true for consulting a lawyer, or a plumber. Its the moment of consultation and understanding that starts the process off.

The first House in my horary chart should describe you and your question - just as the doctor's examination of your throat should describe your condition.

Hope that helps but come back at me if I've waffled too much

lunalafey

THX

I have a WAY better understanding of it now.
so it was more like the 'or' I posted. and the astrologer is the 'tool' the go-between. This facinates me. So the Horary chart for that moment would be like a tarot draw...the card reader equals the astrologer.
I have often wondered about how the Moon and Sun books put out yearly determined when the'BEST' times are for doing something like a lawsuit or a property purchase. Are they using Horary?

Minderwiz

The analogy of the Tarot reader is spot on - the roles are virtually the same, except that the Tarot reader interprets the cards and the Astrologer interprets the chart.

The best times to do things falls under the heading of electional astrology which is very similar to horary. Its called electional because you choose or elect to do something. The aim here is to pick a time when the planets are so arranged that the outcome is likely to be successful. This usually involves trying to get beneficial planets like Sun, Jupiter, Venus and the Moon in good positions - for example near the ascendant or ruler of the House of the matter you want to undertake or at the midheaven and with no particularly bad aspects to other planets.

As the hours of the day are themselves ruled by planets, choosing to act during the time when the Sun or Jupiter is the Hour Lord is much better than choosing to act when Mars or Saturn in ruler - see my post on Planetary Hour Lords. You might therefore also take that into consideration as well as the general planetary conditions you are after.

Quite clearly there are limits to this process. You will never get a chart when everything points to success - and indeed some challenges are necessary to successful action. Moreover you might have to act by say tomorrow, even though the chart suggests next Thursday would be better.

lunalafey

step by step horary

As I said, this facinates me. Could you work me through a reading you do on a question I ask? Meaning tell me the planetary positions you charted. I can look at it, think it through and then see how you read it.
It pertains to a land deal I mentioned in another post. Would asking "is this meant to be?" proper phrasing?

Minderwiz

Yes I can work through the chart and its reasoning. I think a better phraeology is something like will the land deal be completed within the next three months (or other suitable time period)

Can you give me some basic details on the deal and your present concerns- simply so that I can double check that the question above would be what you really want to ask.

If you don't want to make the details public send them to me in a PM - only basic - really what it is and why you are concerned about it.

Major Tom

Fascinating. :)

Are you still accepting requests?

If so my question is: Will my business activities be enough to meet my financial need or do I need to go out and get a job that pays a regular salary?

Thanking you in advance.

Minderwiz

Major Tom,

Can I take it that your real question is 'Will my business activities be enough to meet my financial need?' as the 'or' bit is a direct consequence of a negative answer to the first part of the question, rather than a genuine alternative course of action.

This is the meaning I understand the question to have and I've made a not of the time at which I understood that meaning.

Can you confirm this meaning or If you meant something different please post an alternative version.

Major Tom

Minderwiz - You've got it.

Thanks. :)