New To Tarot

Celtic Witch

I've done Tarot Readings in the past but only by using the guide books.......I'm currently trying to learn how read Tarot without using the guide books. I'm studying the symbolism and numerology behind it..........any guidance or recommended reading would be greatly appreciated.......

Celtic Witch

Learning Tarot

I'm just at the beginning of my Tarot journey. I've tried a few times before to learn Tarot but my methods weren't working. I'd like to know from those of you who have been reading Tarot what has worked for you when you were just beginning to learn......

Thanks in advance

CrystalSeas

Jump over to the Tarot Games And Fun forum and start participating in some of those threads. You'll learn quickly and have fun at the same time.
http://www.tarotforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=62

Also, when you're comfortable, join the Reading Exchange forum and start practicing with other AT members
http://www.tarotforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=30

Also, check the Books forum for help in finding books that will teach you to read intuitively.

You can always start with Mary Greer's 21 Ways To Read A Tarot Card. There are plenty of discussion threads to help you with each of the steps.

Personally, my first step was to write out my own "keyword" list so I had a quick basic meaning for each card as my foundation

Nemia

Read cards, read cards, read cards. Then read a book. And then read the cards again.

Write your own journal. Read and write here.

And have fun! Don't force yourself into a studying routine if you don't enjoy it. It's difficult to keep up with something if you don't enjoy it.

ETA: Sorry, I overlooked part of your question. Concerning numbers. I don't use numerology much, I rely on my intuition concerning numbers, and on the deck itself. Look at all the cards with nr. 4 and 7 and try to get a feeling for what they have in common. (After years of reading the cards, I started to read about kabbalah, and the meanings of numbers on the Tree of Life made more sense to me than any numerology article I ever read. But I managed years to read the cards without kabbalah, so don't worry.)

I always recommend Mary K. Greer's "Tarot for Yourself" for beginners because it really helps you to rely on yourself and your intuition. IMO you need both, your own sense of the card and the agreed, traditional core meaning based on number, suit and all the additional layers of meaning.

LeFou

Go get a reading, ask the reader how they read...

Apollonia

I'm just at the beginning of my Tarot journey. I've tried a few times before to learn Tarot but my methods weren't working. I'd like to know from those of you who have been reading Tarot what has worked for you when you were just beginning to learn......

Thanks in advance
Even though I read intuitively, I have a highly thorough, organized and logical side that comes in when I am learning something new. For me what worked best was a four-pronged approach:

1) First I took part in a comprehensive group Tarot class offered by a local reader and shop owner, so that I could get a feel for the basics and have some experience in reading for others. (When I say, "comprehensive, this class met for three hours once a week for nine months, and then a few 2-day weekend intensives after that.)

2) Next, I checked every Tarot book I could find out of our local library and studied them to see what types of interpretations and methods worked best for me (we didn't have Internet at the time or I would have done a lot of this type of thing online too). Then I purchased the two or three that I liked the best and could see using long term.

3) In conjunction with the second step, each evening I did a 3-card reading (positions: Morning/Afternoon/Evening) on the question, "What will my day be like tomorrow?" I journaled what I thought each card meant and then, before doing the next day's reading, each evening I went over how my day had actually turned out, adding any new or personal meanings to that card's section of my most-trusted book

4) Finally, I joined the American Tarot Association and signed up to do free one-card readings. They provide the querents and a mentor to guide you through the process of reading for others. Doing these readings deepened my knowledge of each card's variety of meanings, while giving me practical experience in reading for strangers how to organize and phrase a reading, etc., with feedback from many of my querents and from my mentor.

After doing these steps, I felt confident in my skills.

rwcarter

Moderator Note

Welcome to Aeclectic, Celtic Witch!

Please check your PMs.

rwcarter, co-Moderator of Using Tarot Cards

Sztar

Back when I first took up tarot I didn't have the money to buy a lot of books, so I found one book by Eden Gray at the used bookstore and mostly wrote out all of my insights in a journal. You'll be surprised at the insights you gain when you write out what you see in the symbolism of each card. To this day, I record almost all of my readings with very few exceptions.

Celtic Witch

Thanks for the Insight

Mary K. Greer's book has been mentioned more than once here, so I'm going to pick it up tomorrow. A journal is a great idea as well. And of course, the best way to learn is by doing readings and taking it from there..........<3