newbie question: turning cards

earthshine

Let's say you have shuffled and spread out your deck. They're all face down. For your spread, you ask your querant to select four cards.

She selects them and you arrange them according to your spread.

Now, my question is, how to turn them? Do I turn them from the side of the card, preserving its orientation (whether upright or reversed)?

Or do I turn from the top (or bottom) of the card, thereby reversing its face-down orientation?

If my question confuses you, let's say face down we have Reversed Magician, Reversed Fool, Queen of Cups, and Ten of Wands. If I turn them face up from the side of the card, I get Reversed Magician, Reversed Fool, Queen of Cups, and Ten of Wands.

But if I turn from the top (or bottom) then I get Magician, Fool, Reversed Queen of Cups, and Reversed Ten of Wands.

Advice, please? Thank you.

nicky

assuming you are saying the querant has picked them and they lay face down?

I would turn them from the side to save the orientation.

earthshine

Thank you, nicky! Blessed Be!

EmpressArwen

I do the pull it off toward me and then flip it down. It would change the orientation of the card but it's how I always do it. I think as long as you pick a way of doing it and stick with it, it doesn't matter. But...there even exceptions to my own rules...There are two decks that I pull off sideways and those are decks, that for some reason, I feel aren't supposed to have reversals. lol I have no idea why. :)

fyriss

I personally always turn from the side, because that's what feels right for me.

But like EmpressArwen said, I think consistency is probably more important. Go with what feels right to you. :)

Barleywine

I turn them side-to-side to preserve the orientation, and I have the querent sit next to me, or at no more than a 90-degree angle, so we can see the spread and any reversed cards from approximately the same perspective. Some people here say the querent never looks at the cards anyway but primarily at the reader, and in my experience that's mostly true. But it still seems like a good idea to me.

Nickigirl

I almost always turn mine up by pulling them towards me and flipping the bottom to the top. It's just how I naturally pull the cards. But I usually pull them off the top of the deck like that and then put them face up on the table. If I pulled them that way and put them face down, I'd likely flip them the same way and they'd be back in the original orientation again.
I agree that it doesn't matter as long as you're consistent, or that you do whatever you choose with intention.

CrystalSeas

I lay out my spreads with all the cards face up as I go.

I consistently draw from the top of the pack toward myself, and then turn the card over as I'm laying it down, with the 'top' of the card becoming the 'bottom' of the layout position.

If I'm doing a layout with the cards face down, I turn the cards face up from side-to-side as I go through the layout.

The idea is to have a consistent pattern, so that none of the cards get "switched around" while you're doing the reading.

Depending on what you believe is the 'cause' of the cards being upright or reversed, you may or may not believe that there is a way to 'interfere' with the power that is making the cards fall one way or the other

elletx

It's really interesting for me to see the different ways in which people flip their cards. Personally I flip from the side to preserve the orientation.

HeidiLynn

I lay the cards the cards out face up as I go.
I don't use reversals so if one ends up upside down I just turn it right.

Generally I hold the deck with the top of the cards facing me and draw the top card towards myself flipping it bottom to top as I lay it down.

It's what feels the most natural to me. I've tried other ways to both hold the cards and lay them out but they seem awkward and forced.