how do you read a card when the depiction deviates from conventional meaning?

nicky

I do what I do in every reading: I look at the image and notice what I think and feel on that one occasion. Even with a standard RW deck, every tie you look at any card, you're going to get different things from it. I really wouldn't worry about it. :)

what she said - that is why we are card readers and not little white book readers- it is your intuition that makes the process work imo

nicky

JylliM

The image on the Anna K. seems to make those questions of sender and receiver front and center in my readings. Because of the dynamic images in the Anna K, I discovered the cards on either side will answer those questions clearly. In other words, reading the Anna K. with attention to positionality of the cards' images is that deck's strength.

That's interesting. Now I think about it, the last reading I did with the Anna K was enhanced by the positionality. It was a 3 card reading with the querent's significator flanked by two opposing 'pulls' in his life.

JylliM

Same thing for me! Especially when others cards in Anna K are almost all "dogmatically" faithful to the RWS. There are certainly decks describing 8 of wands as "message," such as Journey to the Egypt. In that card there are even no visual hint at all that can connect "message" to "swiftness." But given that Journey to the Egypt has a lot of peculiarities and its own system of lunar cycle I won't be bothered that much. For Anna K as a RWS clone, it is indeed a deviation, to the degree that every time I used it, I unconsciously or consciously prayed I won't draw 8 of wands hahah...

Glad it's not just me!