Pros and Cons Thread #3 - Enabling and De-Enabling

FaintlyMacabre

Well, I successfully haven't (yet) bought the Wizards Tarot, but I may have inadvertently slipped and bought a copy of the Green Witch Tarot instead. Oops. I know it's often seen as a bit 'fluffy', but I kind of think that would be a good thing for me to have on hand, as I do tend to be prone to dwelling on the negative side of things - for the most part I don't see this as A Bad Thing (I get very irritated by e.g. self help books that say 'surround yourself with Positive People, cut off Negative People' because IME 'negative people' tends to = 'anyone who has had some hard times and doesn't sugar coat that' and often anyone who's disabled - like me - and - like me - doesn't pretend that it's all some wonderful learning experience but is, in fact, pretty bloody miserable a lot of the time) but sometimes I think it might be helpful to have a deck I can go to which will emphasise the less gloomy aspects of the outlook, if that makes any sense?

(Sorry for the heinous run-on sentence...)

I think what those books mean by "negative people" are the ones who make you feel bad about yourself. The ones who are always criticizing you, making you feel like you are never good enough. OTOH, it is not always so easy to ditch both your parents and your husband ;).

Generally I just have to work with a deck. The MerryDay works and yet i can look at some of the cards individually and wonder why. I also said maybe it was too positive and then i hit the 5 of pents which is really worse than most of the standard ones to me. The Green Witch might bring out different associations in you.

Diana

ldiddy

For me, fabulous in every sense except the artwork. Too Krazy and all over the place. But if you like the artwork, get it - because the production, cardstock, size and everything is perfect.

I 've tried but really can't get into the artwork. I bought it because I know it's a limited edition and I'd heard good things about it here. The overall opinion here is that people love it!

Thanks all. I'm going for it. There is just something about the deck. While I wouldn't normally pick the art style as my cup o' tea, I don't know..... It's close enough to RWS (which I'm studying via Readers Studio course) with its own additional symbology. I just have a good feeling about it...

You might want to check out the Circo tarot (on Kickstarter right now) before you decide. Circo reminds me (and I've heard the same from other people too) of Sakki. I prefer Circo over Sakki. Of course it's just a personal preference.

I did check out Circo. Not immediately sold, but going to get the 48 hour reminder and see how the campaign is going/decide... I recall a youtube video from Ethony and she was wild for it.

MaeWasteland

I think what those books mean by "negative people" are the ones who make you feel bad about yourself. The ones who are always criticizing you, making you feel like you are never good enough. OTOH, it is not always so easy to ditch both your parents and your husband ;).

Generally I just have to work with a deck. The MerryDay works and yet i can look at some of the cards individually and wonder why. I also said maybe it was too positive and then i hit the 5 of pents which is really worse than most of the standard ones to me. The Green Witch might bring out different associations in you.

Diana

Heh! (Re parents/husband...) I'm sure that's what usually most of the books mean (some of them, though...) but I've come across one too many SH book-loving 'positive people' who 'surround themselves with positive people' who use this to shut up anyone who might ever say 'hmm, I'm actually having a pretty hard time right now' ;) (I've also come across lots of lovely people who are very positive, the difference is they don't walk around describing themselves as A Positive Person Who Surrounds Myself With Positive People!)

Oh, I rather like the artwork on the MerryDay, not seen that one before - kind of reminds me of some of the art on the covers of Terry Pratchett's books (the older editions) http://www.lspace.org/ftp/images/bookcovers/uk/equal-rites-1.jpg Though it's a bit less caricature-ish and has a more 'acidic' colour pallette.

FaintlyMacabre

Heh! (Re parents/husband...) I'm sure that's what usually most of the books mean (some of them, though...) but I've come across one too many SH book-loving 'positive people' who 'surround themselves with positive people' who use this to shut up anyone who might ever say 'hmm, I'm actually having a pretty hard time right now' ;) (I've also come across lots of lovely people who are very positive, the difference is they don't walk around describing themselves as A Positive Person Who Surrounds Myself With Positive People!)

Oh, I rather like the artwork on the MerryDay, not seen that one before - kind of reminds me of some of the art on the covers of Terry Pratchett's books (the older editions) http://www.lspace.org/ftp/images/bookcovers/uk/equal-rites-1.jpg Though it's a bit less caricature-ish and has a more 'acidic' colour pallette.

I think I know what you mean. So "positive" you want to smack them.

I like the MerryDay art too. Maybe that's why I can't relate to the decks with a couple of balls on a major. That is a really nice Pratchett cover <sniff> - miss him.

There are some offbeat cards in the MerryDay deck but I do have the book. I don't think there are too many of those and you can ignore the numerology.

Diana

GlitterNova

Fanuna's Tarot has been sitting in my Etsy cart for a while. I love the cute artwork but the price is a bit high for me. Is it worth it, or should I save $20 and just go for the Happy Tarot for my cute-artwork fix?

Citrin

Hey, how about the Linestrider Tarot?!

I have no idea how I've missed this deck... Actually, I think I found it when they were funding it, but I thought "Nope, too many animals". But since then I've started working more with animal decks and now I'm finding it appealing... So any thoughts? Anyone use it often or is it a "dust collector?" ;)

seedcake

"Tarot de La Santa Muerte" - this deck is not in the AT database. Does anyone have experience with it? I can't even find good images. I must admit that Santa Muerte is one of my very favourite figures from folk Catholicism.

GlitterNova

Fanuna's Tarot has been sitting in my Etsy cart for a while. I love the cute artwork but the price is a bit high for me. Is it worth it, or should I save $20 and just go for the Happy Tarot for my cute-artwork fix?
Heh, too late with no de-enabling...I ordered it! Trying to keep my expectations in check but I'm still very excited for it's arrival.

ldiddy

Hey, how about the Linestrider Tarot?!

I have no idea how I've missed this deck... Actually, I think I found it when they were funding it, but I thought "Nope, too many animals". But since then I've started working more with animal decks and now I'm finding it appealing... So any thoughts? Anyone use it often or is it a "dust collector?" ;)

Go for it! It is definitely one I love to read with and it's not all animals. Quite a few people featured throughout. I actually enjoy the mix of some cards being animal and others human...

The new backs (on the mass market) are very pretty. I haven't bought the Llewelyn version and actually wonder about the new book.

ldiddy

I wonder if I've ever de-enabled anyone. I feel like I am a 100% enabler!