Truth vs. Lies Spread

Sibylline

As a result of interaction here (thanks for the inspiration, Sybelline :)).

I'm so glad you found inspiration from my spread, Barleywine! It was a spur-of-the-moment spread that I developed on the fly. By the way, I really enjoyed your take on my cards, so I have to offer my thanks on developing it a little more.

You might find this interesting...

What I failed to mention is that I had drawn a seventh card that sits between the two lines. This position I called "How to Find the Truth." Funny enough, it was the 7 of wands. Looking back on it now, that card could have predicted your methodology of pitting the cards against each other in a matchup.

For anyone else that wants to try it, this is how I did it:

1, 2, 3 = what is the lie?
4, 5, 6 = what is the truth?
7 = advice on how to find the truth

PS: using the Quint card as the "Championship Round" is complete genius.

Barleywine

I'm so glad you found inspiration from my spread, Barleywine! It was a spur-of-the-moment spread that I developed on the fly. By the way, I really enjoyed your take on my cards, so I have to offer my thanks on developing it a little more.

You might find this interesting...

What I failed to mention is that I had drawn a seventh card that sits between the two lines. This position I called "How to Find the Truth." Funny enough, it was the 7 of wands. Looking back on it now, that card could have predicted your methodology of pitting the cards against each other in a matchup.

For anyone else that wants to try it, this is how I did it:

1, 2, 3 = what is the lie?
4, 5, 6 = what is the truth?
7 = advice on how to find the truth

PS: using the Quint card as the "Championship Round" is complete genius.

Interesting. I can see the seventh card as a kind of "key" to the judgement. I have to think about where to put it, though. It really should apply to the synthesis of all the cards in each line, not just to those it's next to. Maybe it should "adjudicate" between the quint cards, as an additonal slant. It doesn't really make any difference, but I put the "truth" line above and the "lies" line below because truth should be the "higher" of the two in spititual terms.

Tanga

As a matter of fact, I have written a - maybe a monograph? - around seven spreads I created, including detailed narratives as to their use. This will make it eight, and bring it up to 43 pages. I intend to self-publish it when all is said and done...

Aha! I await it eagerly.

@ Amanda - thanks for link.

Barleywine

Interesting. I can see the seventh card as a kind of "key" to the judgement. I have to think about where to put it, though. It really should apply to the synthesis of all the cards in each line, not just to those it's next to. Maybe it should "adjudicate" between the quint cards, as an additonal slant.

I think I've got it. I would place the seventh card to the right of the two lines, on-center. In cases where neither of the Trump cards appears to dominate, I would use the seventh card as an "arbiter" to see if it pushes one of the Trumps above the other. I would do this by looking for similar correspondences, such as elemental, numerical, or astrological (sign/planet) connections. It wouldn't be used where one Trump/spread line combination is clearly better favored than the other, giving either the "truth" or the "lie" scenario the "crown."

Sibylline

It doesn't really make any difference, but I put the "truth" line above and the "lies" line below because truth should be the "higher" of the two in spititual terms.

I hear you regarding putting the truth line above the lie. That completely makes sense in my head.

I think I've got it. I would place the seventh card to the right of the two lines, on-center. In cases where neither of the Trump cards appears to dominate, I would use the seventh card as an "arbiter" to see if it pushes one of the Trumps above the other. I would do this by looking for similar correspondences, such as elemental, numerical, or astrological (sign/planet) connections. It wouldn't be used where one Trump/spread line combination is clearly better favored than the other, giving either the "truth" or the "lie" scenario the "crown."

Great idea!

I'm really excited to try out your spread. Something about your spread feels very Thothy to me, so I'm going to break out my Thoth deck and give it a whirl. Thanks so much for developing this and sharing it with us :)

Barleywine

I'm really excited to try out your spread. Something about your spread feels very Thothy to me, so I'm going to break out my Thoth deck and give it a whirl. Thanks so much for developing this and sharing it with us :)

Heheh, my Thoth bias is showing, methinks. Since this is a slightly more complex spread with lots of interactions between cards, a deck with layered symbolism would probably give more to work with.

Barleywine

Narrative Method Sheet

Since there has been some interest in playing with this spread, I decided to post my copyrighted background material for it. Forum members can download this for personal reference, but any commercial use of the text I would consider infringement. Please respect my rights in this regard. I also tweaked the layout to add the 7th card discussed in earlier posts, and have attached that as well.

Attachments

• Truth vs Lies Layout.jpg
    Truth vs Lies Layout.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 191
  • Truth vs Lies Text.jpg
    Truth vs Lies Text.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 206
  • Truth vs Lies Text2.jpg
    Truth vs Lies Text2.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 199