Traditions: German vs. French vs. any other

onesun

What are the main differences in the mainline Lenormand traditions? and what are the finer differences as well?

starstruck

Lenormand traditions

Maybe you will find this page useful. https://jaseoncards.wordpress.com/lenormand-card-meanings/
Jason talks about the French and the German traditions. And you can compare the difference in the keywords between the two.

I'm not an expert but I believe the main differences are that sexuality in the German tradition is related to the lilies and in the French it's to the whip. (The reason that whip is related to sexuality in the French tradition, if I can remember correctly, is because the French word for whip also means wand or male genitalia.)

The other big difference I can remember is that in the German tradition ancher means work and in the french it's fish.

Tag_jorrit

You will also find a whole lot of information in the above sticky thread, "Helpful Threads and Resources" where you will find NoCoolName's meanings, which are German. Russian meanings and a bunch more things. Have a look.

onesun

Starstruck, Tag and Padma- Thank you so much! I've been really tied up here trying to decipher the differences on my own but these are great resources. Much appreciated!! ~OS

starstruck

Lenormand traditions

You're welcome!

onesun

Okay.. now... I copied the info from Jase's site (link above) and I put them side by side and preened them very carefully. In the end nine card meanings were exactly alike. (see list below). The other 27 cards were either fairly close I would say, a couple few had same meanings but had some little twist and/or added meanings and in only a few instances they were very different..

So as I was going through these I found myself 'resonating' here and there with a few of the cards from -both- lists. So, it actually left me with more confusion than clarity to pick one list over the other. But the consensus seems to be: Stick with one version! as in ONLY ONE version!

So I noticed some readers (as in many) (won't name names) that are publicly recognized, some with blogs, and youTubes etc, are actually mixing and adding on a little bit the meanings to cards, and in some cases seems to me quite a bit.

So here's my question: Is the suggestion to stick with one trad more for neophytes and until they are up to speed, then, and only then maybe begin to mix & add as 'inner-prompted'? because I have to say, now that I'm seeing meanings in black & white I won't be able to get the other meanings I 'left behind' from the other tradition out of mind. I can see that one happening already..

Or, should I just focus on the cards that are very different meanings and pick the lists based on those alone?

Here's the 'exact' card meaning list for both German and French trad's:

1 Rider
3 Ship
4 House
14 Fox (depending position next to neg or pos cards)
17 Stork
20 Garden/Park
22 Paths/Crossroads
24 Heart
26 Book

These are the cards 'exact' except with little twists or add-on meanings:

21 Mountain
27 Letter
34 Fish

Nemia

If this is what happens in your head and the meanings are not totally opposite, why not? You're still in the process of crystallizing the card meanings, and you can't un-think what you thought already.

I'd say, write your own Lenormand book and try to get as clear a picture as possible of each card and its different aspects. And then work with that. Nobody will come to check whether you're living the pure gospel of one school or the other. But don't mix the meanings just because you feel the card doesn't answer what you want to hear :)

When I read a Lenormand book or website, I have my hand-written book next to me (Evernote didn't cut it for learning a new system, I find), and I add the keywords that resonate with me. I also made my own keywords deck from blanco playing cards I bought at a crafts shop. That was fun and I learned more from making them than actually using them.

Another thing I do and you can do, too, is to make readings for people from books. I sharpened the card meanings via "Gone with the Wind" readings. If you make a three-card reading for the relationship between Scarlett and Melanie and the Snake appears, that gives you a clearer picture of that card (of course in interaction with the others).

I had some remarkable results with that exercise. I'm still far from an accomplished Lenormand reader but I found my way of distilling the card meanings that help me, not confuse me.

PS: I let the lovely and amazing Blue Bird Lenormand go, simply because I found the verses too restricting and in some cases, not enough in accordance with the way I see the cards. It was just tiny nuances - but I couldn't read with them so it was kinder to let this wonderful deck go where it is used.

onesun

Thanks for your gracious suggestions and insights. I appreciate that. Yeh, I understand the 'Lenormand police' aren't gonna get me. lol but all the same I'm just trying to be the very best reader I can be. I view it an honor to have another place their faith in me and have me read for them. I haven't gotten to point of professional paid readings but I kinda think I'd like to, well it's a goal anyway.

Now Tarot I'm somewhat confident enough to foray with as a business and have def spent the hours learning/researching/reading etc. with it. And to me it's very natural as an artist to have the visuals speak to me, but Lenormand is a different language. Well, literally. As it's verbal and I have to switch gears a little.

I'd just like a firm foundation to grow from. I believe using your techniques will help with that. Thank you! As to the 'traditional meanings' I guess I will just have to let things take their natural course and keep reading and asking what others think and formulating my own personal meanings book.

btw- Taking readings based on characters from novels or movies sounds very creative. I'll try that!

So, may I ask, since your lovely Bluebird is now with another which deck ultimately did you end up with that more fully spoke to you? I have to say, personally I'm not a fan of the modern dressed-up artsy decks. Strange maybe, as an artist one may think I'd gravitate toward them but no, I tend to feel more at ease with the simplicity and clarity the old schools decks have.

Nemia

My best reading deck is my good old Blue Owl :)

Although Pixie's and the Game of Hope work well, too. But my Blue Owl that I can drag anywhere - it's still my deck of choice.