EDSG #1 - 4 Swords, Death and 2 Pentacles

jenessa

I don't have much time, so I will just concentrate on the first triad.

Air - Water - Earth
4 Swords - Death - 2 Pentacles
I like the "format" you used, because listing the elements on one line with the corresponding cards below, makes it easy to see the connection between the elements and the cards drawn.

The 4 of Swords and the 2 of Pentacles are in conflict with one another, perhaps suggesting to me that the resting period and subsequent transformation may in fact be forced by a lack of balance in the querent's life.

I also like your take on how the modifiers are interacting, and how this interaction/(conflict)/(lack of balance) may be responsible for the transformation as seen in the cards.

jenessa

Just to check although Water and Earth are friendly they are also passive with each other aswell so they move slowly with each other. Is that right or have I got that wrong?
According to my notes: friendly interaction strengthens for good OR ill.
Thus friendly passive interactions may cause: beneficial (OR detrimental) inaction.

However, your take that friendly passive interaction could suggest energies moving slowly with each other, also makes sense and would be another possible way to view this type of elemental interaction.

Good Observation!/REGARDS/jenessa

rwcarter

I'll be posting the next set of cards over the weekend, so if anyone else wants to jump in, please do. Of course, folks are welcome to reply to this thread after we've moved on to other cards.

Winterchild

I haven't done the exercises yet, have just been reading through, but I wanted to ask if Majors (as indicated by Elendil), are more powerful when using ED's? And would this then give the related ED more power...?

I am very interested in the way people use the elements... I can't seem to help giving them different strengths, if that makes sense. For example: still afternoon to hurricane, for air, depending on the card). I have not studied any set method in any depth so have kind of gone my own way, but I will be taking note through the exercises. Maybe I need more structure!

rwcarter

I don't weight the Majors heavier than the Minors when using EDs. I apply the most weight to the central card of the triad, be it Major or Minor.

REsubmerged

4 Swords (4S), Death and 2 Pentacles (2P).
Work/Career
Things are only momentarily peaceful (4S). But eventually you will have to stop (XV) working 2 jobs (2P).

Relationships
Take some time to figure out (4S) if you can make time for your relationship given your busy schedule (2P). Otherwise, you should just end it. (XV)

Finances
Hospital bills (4S) have stopped you (XV) from being able to manage your budget.

rwcarter

Other than Death being XIII instead of XV (the Devil), I like those too.

Ziev

I have read these exercises before posting (a few days ago) but I find that I learn more by doing than just reading alone. So, here goes my take for this exercise. I am reading for work/career.

4oS / Death / 2oP
Air / Water / Earth

There are some changes occurring in the work place that people are feeling anxious about (Death) and one needs to find balance and get grounded (2oP) in order to keep up with the transitions (4oS).

I am also trying to add the element into the reading as well. Death=water=emotions, 2oP=earth=grounding and since the 4oS=air and is neutral I didn’t use that element to in the reading.

Am I on the right track?

rwcarter

I am reading for work/career.

4oS / Death / 2oP
Air / Water / Earth

There are some changes occurring in the work place that people are feeling anxious about (Death) and one needs to find balance and get grounded (2oP) in order to keep up with the transitions (4oS).

I am also trying to add the element into the reading as well. Death=water=emotions, 2oP=earth=grounding and since the 4oS=air and is neutral I didn’t use that element to in the reading.

Am I on the right track?
Thanks for explaining that you were adding in the element into the interpretation of the card because at first I wasn't getting your interpretations. (I thought you were going too far with anxious.)

So, yes, you're on the right track. I'd give one caution though and that's to try to be consistent. If you're only going to add in the elements of the cards that strengthen each other, then you should always do that.

Also, while I leave neutral interactions neutral as a general rule and let the specific cards dictate what the interaction will be, by traditional EDs, neutral interactions are seen as friendly.

Rodney

Ziev

rwcarter said:
Thanks for explaining that you were adding in the element into the interpretation of the card because at first I wasn't getting your interpretations. (I thought you were going too far with anxious.)

I kind of thought anxious was a bit much too but wasn't sure how to or if I should add the element and what that would look like.

rwcarter said:
Also, while I leave neutral interactions neutral as a general rule and let the specific cards dictate what the interaction will be, by traditional EDs, neutral interactions are seen as friendly.

So, following my reading I could have added an element to the 4oS since it was neutral which means friendly but maybe not as strong, right?

I'm not sure if I will continue to add the element into the reading. It was just a thought while typing it up so I went with it. It sounds like traditional ED do not do this so, maybe I wont either. Ok, Im off to try the other areas for these cards and then mix them up too. :)