How were the earliest decks used?

Alissa

Thank you for that thoughtful reply, Mari_Hoshizaki. It delves specifically into the time and place I'm trying to lock in on, 16th cent. Italian Tarot deck use, and I am intuiting a monastic setting, so what you said really jibes and really makes me sit up and think~!

I have not read the Dummett work, it sounds quite rare. I hope to make time to really delve into this topic, and each and every response has helped me. Again, my deepest thanks to everyone :D

Cerulean

I think Michael Dummett and Ronald Decker's History of the Occult Tarot is coming out in December 2002 or thereabouts on the U.S. Amazon.com. Some vague comments are that the new book has lots of goodies for us historical fans...
If anyone gets to read it soon, I'm certain comments will be eagerly read...at least by me and a few others here...whatever the recommendation is, I do like this forum quite a bit. It's like this historical jigsaw puzzle with many shiny little pieces...and me like a penguin, eagerly attracted to all the shiny objects and wanting to dive into the pool to maybe gulp them up...

Mari who just ushered three nephews through the zoo...