Oracle deck idea - opinions pls

BrightEye

I finally seem to have an idea for an oracle deck. Some of you will know that I've been doing quite a bit of drawing over the last couple of years, wanting to create an oracle deck, but the connection between the cards seemed elusive. I can now see a connection that might make the images work as an oracle deck.

My question would be how many cards would people normally be looking for? I know Lenormands have just over 30 cards but a lot of contemporary oracle decks seem to have more. I have about 30 images so far and could maybe push up to 35. I doubt I'll be able to go much higher though. Would a non-traditional, contemporary oracle deck work with so few cards?

danieljuk

I am so looking forwards to this! :thumbsup:
because I love your art, as many cards as possible :D I think I would go for about 35. I was just looking through AT at my fave oracles and all were over 40 cards but I don't think it's quantity but do they cover your ideas and cover all possible readings? You could do a reading I think and have everything covered with the 22 tarot Majors, so I think the key is to have positive and negative symbolism which tries to cover as wild as possible :)

reall

I agree with all above!^^ make as much as you want! it doesn't mater 20 or80 as long as you have clear idea about it!^^ ;)) only thing you should consider here is how do you plan to print it? cuz most of POD have set options for number of cards in deck for diferent sizes ie 36,40,80etc!^^;))

AJ

+40, 50 is nice. Too few and the same cards keep coming up all the time.

BrightEye

Thank your for your thoughts, Daniel, reall, AJ. I was going through my images again yesterday and perhaps I could get to 40. I think having some so-called negative cards helps, and I have those, or rather images that reflect the whole of human experience and emotion. That's a good point about POD and I'll keep that in mind.

karen0205

Lenormand decks have 36 cards, maybe a title card.
Good Lenormand decks have 36 cards, plus an extra Man and Woman
card, facing the opposite direction of the ones in the deck. :)
Then if you add a title card, you are up to 39 cards.

My vote would be for a Lenormand deck
I would be curious how popular oracle decks are these days.
Lenormands seem to have taken the place of oracle decks from
what I see in the market. What does everyone else see?

BrightEye

Lenormand decks have 36 cards, maybe a title card.
Good Lenormand decks have 36 cards, plus an extra Man and Woman
card, facing the opposite direction of the ones in the deck. :)
Then if you add a title card, you are up to 39 cards.

My vote would be for a Lenormand deck
I would be curious how popular oracle decks are these days.
Lenormands seem to have taken the place of oracle decks from
what I see in the market. What does everyone else see?

That's an interesting point. When I started the drawings a couple of years ago, I wanted it to be a Lenormand. But the majority of people who responded to the images found them too complex or not straightforward enough for Lenormands (too much going on in the pictures). So I decided to go down a different route.