using the tarot in the creation of art

daedal

Many artists have used the tarot in the creation of art, such as David Bowie. I was wondering exactly what methods the tarot could be used to inspire artistic works?

CrystalSeas

Welcome to Aeacletic Tarot, daedal

I'm moving your question to a more appropriate forum, Talking Tarot.

We have a lot of different forums and it usually takes a while to become familiar with all of them

lantana

One of the mostly widely talked about uses is for writing. Tarot is great for creating stories, fleshing out characters, and exploring archetypes. Just a few cards can give you an interesting plot or backstory when you're stuck on where to take something next.

I've also used it for drawing exercises. Pull two cards and draw your interpretation or an emblem of their two energies. I have lots and lots of tarot card designs in my sketchbooks!

Nosgo

You could draw one or several card and decide to use the key colors they depict in your art (be it painting, sewing, etc). You could do that using a particular symbol that resonate with you.
For colors choice you could also use the color scales attributed to each card according to Crowley in the Thoth Tarot. For example, The Lovers correspond to Orange/Pale Mauve/New Yellow leather/Reddish grey, inclined to mauve.