Thoth Tarot Survey

What is your opinion?

• Thoth is a great Deck.

Votes: 131 69.3%
  • Thoth Deck shall be burned, ripped into pieces, buried, pulverized...

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I do not understand Thoth, therefore will refrain from judging

Votes: 18 9.5%
  • Why so much noise about it?

Votes: 14 7.4%
  • I like the cards, but Crowley's shadow is disturbing...

Votes: 15 7.9%
  • It scares me

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 3.2%

• Total voters

skh

It is the deck with which I made the first connection to the world of Tarot. I had a RWS earlier and still like it, too, but failed to connect in that way.

So I voted "great deck", but I also don't understand the noise. The world of the occult, the esoteric, needs people who dare to leave the well-known paths to seek knowledge, enlightenment, spiritual experience. Who else could explore mysteries?

Sonja

Alta

skh said:
The world of the occult, the esoteric, needs people who dare to leave the well-known paths to seek knowledge, enlightenment, spiritual experience. Who else could explore mysteries?
I have to strongly agree with that. Generally it isn't satisfied, happy go lucky people who create such works. It has to be dissatisfied people, who demand answers not yet found and are determined to find them. And, to find them in their own way.

bleuivy

I have to admit. I voted for "Burn it." It was my first deck, and I used to love it, but I just can't even stand holding it any more. It reminds me of some pretty sad memories from when I used it as my main reading deck. I've actually contemplated burning it in the past, but Lillie, Emily, and Caridwen convinced me that maybe I shouldn't be reaching for the matches just yet.

I know lots of people love this deck. I used to be one of them. And probably I will again, some day.

Centaur

I am glad that most people think that the Thoth is a great deck. I really do feel that it gets a bad-press from some people. For instance, on one Wiccan site I posted that I owned the Thoth and stated my admiration for it. I was pounced upon by three or four members claiming that it was evil and served as a sponge for bad energies.

I have never felt any bad energies from my Thoth. Quite the opposite actually.

I think that we can track the root of these perceptions to Crowley's reputation. Yes, he was not the most perfect man. Yes, he was a bit debauched (some say a bit, some say A LOT!). But, this does not detract from the fact that the Thoth is a magnificent work of art and an amazing tool for divination and personal exploration.

I say if you haven't got one, then get one immediately. You will not regret it.

rachelcat

I like the Thoth because obviously it is the product of both a well-thought-out esoteric system and serious artistic effort. I'm actually not crazy about the art, but I can tell it is of high quality anyway. (I'm more a line drawing and bright colors person, but that's just my personal preference.)

I can't stand keywords of any sort!!! I am trying to get up the nerve to trim my large deck. But then the astrological symbols and hebrew letters will be gone!

I recently did a court card study, and now I'm hooked on Knight-Kings and the rest of the Thoth court!

Does anyone know of a Thoth clone/Golden Dawn-based deck that isn't artistically challenged? Still searching for the ONE--the perfect deck.

fyreflye

rachelcat said:
Does anyone know of a Thoth clone/Golden Dawn-based deck that isn't artistically challenged? Still searching for the ONE--the perfect deck.

For a deck as beautiful and as serious as Crowley's get the Via or the Hermetic Tarots. For a light hearted and cheery one get The Parrott Tarot. Jo Gill's has lovely majors but many don't like her minors. Anthony Clark's Magickal Tarot is very well crafted but not many like the imagery. I have and like all of these. Avoid the clumsy efforts of the Ciceros and DuQuette (though the companion books aren't bad.). Trample on the Liber T.

jayde

It was what I call my first "major tarot deck," however I couldn't get readings from it and it didn't feel right. I quickly set it aside.

Diwha

It is Great

Everything it has revealed to me was percise, it was me that couldn't see or accept it right away. It is a magnificent window that has no limits..
It helps me evolve in a grande manner....
Diwha

Blue Fury

First love always stays with you

Hallo All, well the Thoth was my first deck and has been with my for many years and I love it. I knew nothing about Crowley or Harris when it was bought for me (still don't, actually) and was amazed when the lady who owned the tarot shop told me that a previous customer had backed away from the counter when being shown the cards because she felt they were evil. The artwork is stunning, and it has given me some phenomenal readings. The only problem is, there is so much to know and learn about the deck I quite simply don't know where to start. The pips don't bother me at all, infact they are useful in provoking feelings, and describing the energy around it, and I have to say that next to Thoth, RW looks like Enid Blyton (ducks to avoid the shaking fists) LOL. That is just my opinion though, so no offense to RW fans :) I agree though that Thoth is not to everybody's taste and I do enjoy decks such as the Gilded and Morgan-Greer. But as they say, you never get over that first love and to me it is still THE ultimate deck, blessings Fury xxx

Aeon418

I know exactly what you mean, Blue Fury. I bought my first Thoth deck over 15 years ago, and even though I have bought other decks since then I always go back it and use it more than any other. It really is an amazing deck.