Thoth spread-help!

gorgeousbutterfly

I don't get it. can someone be a doll and explain...

Card 1: Represents the client and the nature of the question. It also represents the primary influences upon the situation.

A court card in this position refers to a dominant individual, influence, or personality trait affecting the situation.

Cards 2 and 3: Read this combination with reference to Card 1. All three cards are keys to describing the nature of the situation and the personality of the individual.
Cards 13, 9, 5
and 4, 8, 12: These two sets of cards indicate potential futures.

* If the two sets compliment each other, the cards on the upper left are a development of the cards on the upper right.
-NOTE: how do you know if they compliment each other? do they mean by dignities?
* If the two sets are in conflict, the cards on the Lipper right are the direction the individual will naturally follow. The cards on the upper left represent actions that could change the natural direction.
-can someone give me an example? i'm lost... lol

Cards 6, 10, 14: This set indicates the psychological basis of the issue.
Cards 7, 11, 15: This set shows the operation of forces beyond the individual's control (destiny or karma), and how he can adapt to them. They are personal advisory cards.

NOTE: cards 7,11,15 is this advice for what direction to go? if its beyond the individuals control and is destiny how can it be advise when it can't be controlled.?

i would greatly appreciate it if someone can explain. thanx you so much :)

thinbuddha

gorgeousbutterfly said:
and 4, 8, 12: These two sets of cards indicate potential futures.

* If the two sets compliment each other, the cards on the upper left are a development of the cards on the upper right.
-NOTE: how do you know if they compliment each other? do they mean by dignities?
* If the two sets are in conflict, the cards on the Lipper right are the direction the individual will naturally follow. The cards on the upper left represent actions that could change the natural direction.
-can someone give me an example? i'm lost... lol

<snip>

Cards 7, 11, 15: This set shows the operation of forces beyond the individual's control (destiny or karma), and how he can adapt to them. They are personal advisory cards.

NOTE: cards 7,11,15 is this advice for what direction to go? if its beyond the individuals control and is destiny how can it be advise when it can't be controlled.?

OK, I don't use this spread, but I think I can help a little:

The two future possibilities- if they "compliment each other" meaning if the meanings of each set aren't exclusive of the other set. In other words, one set can predict dramatic change while the other predicts stability (these would NOT compliment each other). Or they could both show change (one might show change while the other one seems to describe a situation that would represent a change- these DO compliment each other).

As far as the cards 7,11,15. If they show forces outside of your control, it stands to reason that knowing that these forces are in play, you can "adapt" to them by changing things that are inside your control. For example- if these cards seem to be showing that there might be trouble brewing at work, it is perfectly within your control to start a job search or look into going back to school. The situation brewing at work may be too far along for you to control (you may still get laid off from your current job- or get a new manager that you hate) but you can be proactive about it by exploring other options.

-tb

wolfmaiden58

Hi GB!
Thought I'd respond as it looks like we're 'paired' on the Thoth group this week! That should be fun!

Have a look at this page:
http://www.tryskelion.com/thothsprd.htm

- it's similar to the LWB, but explains a little bit more.......
Also, you might want to check out the whole site, and some others - this spread is perfect for interpreting elemental dignities (ED's), which I feel are very important when interpreting the Thoth - as reversed readings aren't performed with this deck.

http://www.tryskelion.com/preface.htm
http://www.angelpaths.com/tarotl.html
http://web.archive.org/web/20011202092533/lonestar.texas.net/~r3winter/edig.html
http://tarotstudies.50webs.com/why_use_eds.shtml

that lot are a good basis to start with!!

Looking forward to reading with you this week!
**Hugs**
wolfie

gorgeousbutterfly

thanxs thinbuddha, that was helpful and i have a better understanding now. the spread is a bit complex ain't it?

wolfmaiden58, thanxs for all the links. i am learning the thoth from the first link, the symbolism and interpetations are helpful. its a good site. angel paths is also a good one i check out every once in a while :). thanxs i will check out the others about ED'S.

lenny0000

explaining the thoth spread and ill dignities

This spread can be pretty complex, but I think that it is one of the best spreads to use, and give a lot more information than the more popular celtic cross. I do not know if you use the Thoth deck or not but I will try to make some sense of it, the best way that I can explain how. First ill dignities. Fire and water don't mix. So if you get for example the Queen of Wands, (a fire element) with the Queen of Cups, (A water element.), then these two cards oppose each other. A woman who knows what she wants and will do whatever it takes to get it, and another woman, who is very much in tune with her feelings and and will get in this womans way. You have to decide with your own intuition and the surrounding cards, what is going on. Is there a woman who loves some one so much that she will do anything for them, and the Queen of Wands comes along and sticks her nose in it and cause complications. I hope this makes since. Look at the cross on Thoth Deck. The red is fire, and the blue is water. Notice how they are on oppisite sides. They oppose each other. Yellow is air, and green is earth. They are on opposite sides. I hope this makes sense. Let me know.