Should i just do this? reading thoth differently

gorgeousbutterfly

can i just avoid all the meanings , (well not all) of the thoth and go with my own? what if i don't think of the numerology the same way as he does? i feel everytime i try reading my way i feel guilty. i feel the deck was made for serious users who do serious study of kabbala and all that. i find that stuff so boring to read and hard to understand. i just want to do it my way!!

Lillie

Don't worry.

This is a deck that can be used by everyone.

If you want to be serious, you can. It can be a very serious deck.

If you want to take it lightly, you can. It can also be a very light hearted deck too.

How often am I serious? lol!

Also, you can use Crowleys meanings as much or as little as you like.
Do what ever is right for you.

Right now you might feel like finding your own meanings for the cards. As time goes by you may want to find out more about what Crowley intended. Or you may not.
It is totally up to you.

And remember. They are not Crowleys cards. They are yours!
Have fun with them.

Umbrae

Any deck - can be used with your meanings, your intent.

I often say that tarot card meanings are dynamic - like life - not static, like a book (or a LWB).

However...if you have to ask...

brenmck

Lillie said:
Don't worry.
Right now you might feel like finding your own meanings for the cards. As time goes by you may want to find out more about what Crowley intended. Or you may not. It is totally up to you.And remember. They are not Crowleys cards. They are yours! Have fun with them.

GB, I also went through your dilemma, but DuQuette says the same thing as Lillie in his book, only not quite as pleasantly. :cool4:

But, if your experience is like mine, the more you use them the more "inside" you want to go. For me this deck has gone from intimidating to downright addicting. There should be a warning label on the box!

~B~

Nevada

gorgeousbutterfly said:
can i just avoid all the meanings , (well not all) of the thoth and go with my own? what if i don't think of the numerology the same way as he does? i feel everytime i try reading my way i feel guilty. i feel the deck was made for serious users who do serious study of kabbala and all that. i find that stuff so boring to read and hard to understand. i just want to do it my way!!
Yes, this is how I use it. I find, the longer I read Tarot, the more I tend to go with my own meanings anyway, my own take on the cards. The only thing specific to the deck even is what I actually get from the image itself. I find this the best way to read, for me. Of course, people vary. There's nothing wrong with serious study, but its not necessary in order to read intuitively. Of course I'm sure there are those who'll disagree. You have to do what's best for you.

Nevada

Sheri

I second almost exactly what Nevada says. I used to use books and LWBs to tell me what the cards were saying. Then I found some meanings didn't seem right. Then I had a revelation...you are the best source of information when it comes to really working with the cards.

I promptly quit using the books and started reading intuitively...with even the Thoth. This was really freeing, because I never really liked the words that are printed on the bottom of some of the cards. They NEVER mean what I see in the card!

In the end, there are no right or wrong ways, just what works for you! If you want some experience reading intuitively, there are Intuitive Reading circles in action all the time. I have participated in many of them and everyone is friendly, helpful and supportive.

You should give it a try, you might be surprised at the knowledge you have within you!

Good luck to you!

valeria :D

SunChariot

gorgeousbutterfly said:

Yes you can. And I'm with Nevada too. I know how you feel too. I used to think that too, that it was a serious deck that needed to be studied. I never study any deck, I read intuitively, but someone I had gotten it into my head that this deck required it.

For me anyway, I was wrong. I had two books on it, I read them and I hated the book meanings and what they said about the cards. So much so that I could not read with the cards at all. I tried to trade them away actually but was not able to.

Suddenly a few weeks ago I had a reading to do and I really felt that it had to be my Thoth deck. I had not used it in a year and a half and never successfully. But I somehow really felt inside it had to be that deck.

So I pulled it out, and did one of my habitual intuitive readings...just feeling what things meant...not paying any attention at all to what they are SUPPOSED to mean. And it was an amazing reading. Everything clicked perfectly, one of my best readings in a long time.

So I discovered, at least for me, that this is the only way the deck really works for me. And the imagery is very intuitive too, it speaks volumes if you stop and listen.

Babs

And PS, if you find something in Tarot boring, it's a good sign that that thing is not part of your path. Tarot is to be enjoyed.:grin:

Barbaras Ahajusts

I use to think the Thoth was a harsh deck. Anymore, the more I mess with them, I don't see them as anything but differently designed.
I have read some of the reading circles using the Thoth, and I can't tell anything spooky, creapy or even more deeper than any other deck. I just see readings.

I'm slowly getting into them. I can't say I like the Thoth more the Robin Woods. But I like the Thoth more than say the Herbal deck? :D

I respect myself, not the cards. They don't brush my teeth or feed me. I do.
LOL

:heart:Barb

Edge

Two words regarding using the Thoth. TIME and EXPERIENCE. Intense study of the cards is futile. True appreciation of the deck can only be gained after USING them over a period of time. Book meanings mean nothing. :)

TheOld

got to say that theres also other viewpoint...
studying a deck like the Thoth can give you a deeper understanding of all the symbols which will give you a greater understanding of the deck worldview (do you know that there is 1200 symbol paint on the Thoth deck ???)

so having gaing a deeper understanding of the deck worldview you can read much more easily with it and the symbol of the reading jump if front of you.

Mr. Crowley have said that a divination system is in fact a language that can be understood by both the reader and the spirit that rules the reading. And understanding the language and his rules increase your communication skills when you interact with this system.

better understanding of the system = better understanding of the message it give you

That's the sames things as with music, understanding the music rules, the notes, the octaves etc... will give you greater abilities to improvise !!!

p.s. you can still read intuitively after that , much better in fact..

Omeada