Should i just do this? reading thoth differently

SarahRose

I'm trying to learn basic, standard meanings of Tarot; I'm personally not concentrating on the Thoth philosophy, etc. It just happens to be the deck I'm using, you know?

I look at the artful cards, I get keywords from sources, and I interpret according to my own life. Though I am a newbie, I fell into this very easily and am no longer fretting about meaning. Intuition and soul-searching is what the cards are about - and I don't believe there is a "wrong" way to interpret them.

Good luck to us both! :)

hope

reminds me of my dogs

TheOld said:
got to say that theres also other viewpoint...
studying a deck like the Thoth can give you a deeper understanding of all the symbols which will give you a greater understanding of the deck worldview (do you know that there is 1200 symbol paint on the Thoth deck ???)

so having gaing a deeper understanding of the deck worldview you can read much more easily with it and the symbol of the reading jump if front of you.

Mr. Crowley have said that a divination system is in fact a language that can be understood by both the reader and the spirit that rules the reading. And understanding the language and his rules increase your communication skills when you interact with this system.

better understanding of the system = better understanding of the message it give you

That's the sames things as with music, understanding the music rules, the notes, the octaves etc... will give you greater abilities to improvise !!!

p.s. you can still read intuitively after that , much better in fact..

Omeada

This reminds me of people and their dogs... Let me explain. Most people and their dogs communicate with one another quite well without any special training. They understand on an intuitive (or instinctual) level, getting along beautifully most of the time. But how much is missed? If the owner takes the time to learn about the nuances of the interaction (what dogs intend to communicate by certain doggie behaviors, as well as how dogs tend to interpret certain people behaviors), they gain additional insights and get along with their pets that much better.

Please don't think I'm suggesting my cards are my pet... Or that I am their master... Or any number of other things that I can't even imagine at the moment. The analogy clearly breaks down after a point. :)

Just 2cents,
Hope