knowing the symbols before reading thoth deck

Parzival

Itika said:
In connection whit Thot Taro is quite supportive to reed comments of Rudolf Steiner on a fable of Goethe (about the green Serpent and the white Lily).

Yes, this is an alchemical fairy tale about the Alchemical Marriage. The Thoth Tarot is all about the harmonious interplay of opposites. But it's all in the Images, for instance, VI, XIV, and XXI. And it's symbolically on physical, soul, and spiritual levels, depending on your perspective.

Edge

ravenest said:
Although I think it is a good idea to study the symbolism and reference books and find out all the things the symbols could mean, I want recommend that this stops you from plunging in to practical experience and working.

Both go hand in hand, and frankly, there is so much in the deck, the symbols and the esoteric knowledge contained within that one could spend a life-time studying the cards without actually ever using them.

The learning experience will continue for many, many years, so don't try to rush and understand everything from the beginning, it will come.

At least you wont get bored with this deck.

I have to agree with ravenest. :) I would also like to add I feel knowledge of the elemental dignities, the 12 signs of the zodiac and the planets (astrology) will greatly increase ones understanding of the nature of particular cards, suits etc. This has helped me tremendously.

SarahRose

I got the Thoth three days ago, and I am journaling about my feelings about each card and trying to learn them by sight somewhat. I have, however, already been working with them.

I would say just do what your intuition says, and try not to worry too much. I know I tend to worry as a newb, but I just breathe and tell myself that I won't get hurt or yelled at if I use them "wrong." :)