The Cosmic Tarot

oldsoul

hi all!
i'm brand new to tarot and this forum so please be gentle with me! :)
i'm 19 and i've always felt like i had a 'psychic side'. a few weeks ago i had the urge to explore the tarot so i went out and bought a deck. having no experience i chose the deck that 'felt' right and bought 'the cosmic tarot' deck. the cards are stunningly beautiful and i feel like they are the right deck for me... now i just need to learn what they mean!
i've been surfing the net and have found two books that are specific for my deck...
The Cosmic Tarot by Jean Huets
The Cosmic Tarot: Signposts Along the Path by Laura E. Clarson
has anyone got an opinion on either of these books? what other books would you recomend for a beginner using this deck? any advice would be appreciated.
thank you so much...
oldsoul

Page

I'm gonna bite you

Don't worry oldsoul your safe, only joking!:)

I havn't read the 2 books you mentioned but I can recommend a book called Super Tarot by Sacha Fenton you can still buy this book from Amazon.
I think it a really good book to start with. I wish I found this book when I first started off.

I'm sure you will get a lot of help from folks in this forum:*

Good luck and just go with the flow

maud

oldsoul

thanks, i'll check that book out.
oldsoul
oh and thanks also for not biting!

truthsayer

i love the cosmic tarot, too. it's enough like the rider waite smith deck that almost any tarot book will work with it. however, i encourage you to start a tarot journal. then draw a card a day and write down what you "feel" or "intuit" about that card. i think that's the best way to learn. you must remember that whatever book you read is only the opinion of that writer. tarot meanings aren't stationary. it helps to be aware of what others say about a card or what a particular symbols means but please try not to use books as a crutch. it's a hard habit to break--i speak from experience.

that said, i suggest you go to joan bunnings website called www.learningthetarot.com . you can also buy the book but it's already on the web so check it out and see if you like it before you buy it or just download it. another favorite is mary k. greer's "tarot for yourself". another one many ppl here like is "tarot for self-discovery" by ninalee braden. i think ninalee's book would be good for helping you get to know the cards and yourself at the same time.

i have the jean huet book and i think that one is okay since it does focus on the artist's view of the deck.

divinerguy

I have the Cosmic Tarot as well. Its one of those decks that I keep using. It won't become dated, and its reaonably close to RWS symbology.

Trogon

oldsoul said:
hi all!
i'm brand new to tarot and this forum so please be gentle with me! :)

"Gentle"?? Hmm.... well, perhaps I can manage that if I try hard enough... ;)

I'm not positive, but I think the web site that truthsayer was trying to link you to was http://www.learntarot.com/top.htm ... I tried the other and it came up "under construction". This is, in my opinion, a very good website with a lot of helpful information. It does not directly address the Cosmic Tarot, but is geared towards the Rider-Waite deck, which I believe the Cosmic is based on.

There is a review of the Cosmic Tarot at http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cosmic/review.html in which the reviewer mentions both books you asked about. He doesn't talk a lot about them but it may be of some help.

One other link... http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/basics/ ... this again has very good basic information on the Tarot.

Lastly, keep reading postings and information here on Aeclectic Tarot and use your cards. My personal experience has been that the more readings I do (even if I had to keep referring to my book or "cheat sheet") the more I learn about the cards and how they fit together in the spreads.

Hope this helps...

oldsoul

thank you for all the links, i'll be checking them out as soon as poss!

truthsayer, you read my mind! i'm going tomorrow to find a journal so i can keep notes of everything i learn! :)

trogon, i got under construction as well, thanks for new link, i will be going to that site next. you and truthsayer are the 2nd and 3rd people to tell me about that one... must be good!

oldsoul

Jewel

wait! ... wait!!! ... also check out the beginners section here at Aeclectic and look for Thirteen's basics ... I'd post the link for you but I am technologically challenged :p perhaps one of my friends here will post it for you.

You might also want to go to the decks forum and do a search on the Cosmic Tarot so you can see previous discussions we have had about this deck. I received this deck as a gift from a very dear friend and really like it. The deck reminds me of a puzzle in that some images appear on other cards as a view throgh the window, etc.

Welcome to the wonderful world of tarot ... it is a journey, not a destination.

oldsoul

thank you for the good advice jewel!
oldsoul