How Do YOU Say It?

Barleywine

As I come into more frequent contact with other readers in my local area, we inevitably talk about Lenormand. Just about everyone here in New England says something like "luh NOR-mund," while my inclination is to accent it as "le nor-MAND." Is there any preference for pronunciation among English-speakers? I get a bit tired of people correcting me by echoing what I said in their own way.

gregory

In French, everyone but you in New England is more correct. :D

But then again, not a lot of people go to Par-EE for their holidays.... It's a tricky thing borrowing words from other languages.

don710

I've read that the -D is silent. So you're supposed to say "Le-NOR-Mahn".

I've also seen Leonard-mund minus the first d.

But Idk, I kinda prefer to say le-NOR-muhnd too.

BodhiSeed

My French Canadian friend (now in Oz) says it the way you do (minus the 'nd' sound), but everyone else I know says it by stressing the second syllable. :)

DownUnderNZer

I say it this way...

Must say I do not mind either actually, but "Leh Nor Mund" is what I am use to I suppose.

What I do not like is the use of the term "Lennies". I find that more of a cringe factor.

DND :)

I've read that the -D is silent. So you're supposed to say "Le-NOR-Mahn".

I've also seen Leonard-mund minus the first d.

But Idk, I kinda prefer to say le-NOR-muhnd too.

My French Canadian friend (now in Oz) says it the way you do (minus the 'nd' sound), but everyone else I know says it by stressing the second syllable. :)

Barleywine

Oh true - the D is silent, no matter what.

I agree on the silent "D," but they would really look at me funny here if I leave it off :) Guess I will just go with the flow . . .

Oh, and no "Lennie" for me either!

gregory

I agree on the silent "D," but they would really look at me funny here if I leave it off :) Guess I will just go with the flow . . .

Oh, and no "Lennie" for me either!
OK I will never say it again.
But I will :)

Because I am a lazy typist. So hit me :)

Others refer to things in ways I don't like (the "Rider" deck really grates, though I admit not as much as the Raider Waite, which turns up more often that it should here...) We all have our weirdths.

Laura Borealis

As I come into more frequent contact with other readers in my local area, we inevitably talk about Lenormand. Just about everyone here in New England says something like "luh NOR-mund," while my inclination is to accent it as "le nor-MAND." Is there any preference for pronunciation among English-speakers? I get a bit tired of people correcting me by echoing what I said in their own way.

I say it le nor-MAHN and I don't mind the term Lennie at all - plus it's a good way to get around the pronunciation confusion!

Lumi

Pronunciation

Well I'm from the Ozarks and I'm not quite a hillbilly (although very close) ha and I say len-or-MAWND or LENER-mun(d) that means a very quiet, rather timid final "d".
Probably does not help. lol And the truth is no one I know knows what I'm talking about anyway.