Vedic Study Group

dadsnook2000

Yes !

Yes, you bad signs, go away and don't come back on the next rainy day --- to mis-use an old children's saying. Both Minderwiz and I recognize that "signs" are not what they used to be, or what they need to be.

If astrologers merely limited themselves, as many joytish-vedic astrologers do, to characterizing a planet as having F-E-A-W and C-F-M qualities instead of throwing paragraphs of glib character descriptions around, astrology would be much clearer to communicate with. Dave

firecatpickles

I didn't mean to imply that I was interested in solely what sign my Sun is in, especially as far as blanket "personality traits" go. But it will be helpful in other areas when choosing a Significator; for example "Mercury" as opposed to "Moon or "Jupiter" in horary astrology or for tarot.

astroandtarot

Fire Cat said:
I would like to form a Vedic Astrology study group. After recent developments and considerations in my personal life, I have come to the realization that sidereal or Vedic astrology is the way to go for me! (recent PDR reading details this...) From reading the many Threads and discussions about it, I can tell that I'm not the only one here who feels this way. And there is woefully inadequate online information on this subject, just as there is just about any other subject worth studying in detail.

I am going to propose something that I rarely do: step out of my box and actually study a book. Summer is the perfect time.

So Memorial Day Weekend (end of May) is as good a start up date as any. That's 16 weeks. This will give us time to get our textbooks (yes, we need to have the same one) and read up a bit before we start.

What about this one?

http://store.innertraditions.com/isbn/978-0-89281-085-7;jsessionid=DAB4587B4F688CFEE8AFEEA183644094

Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk also have copies as well. Personally. I would be wary of the used additions as you want to make sure you get the CD. Because this book comes with one; so it would be a great textbook for us to study by and software to practice with.

And, this synopsis is quite intriguing: "Vedic astrology was codified by the ancient Maharishis to help people achieve the four basic goals of human existence: kama (desire), artha (wealth), dharma (life purpose), and moksha (spiritual growth)."

If you are interested in yoga this may also appeal to you as well.

So, who's interested?

This can be a discussion Thread and a Sign -up Thread, too, until we start the actual book study.

Thanks for reading!

I am interested in Vedic as well.. i found it to be very accurate .

astroandtarot

Libra8ca said:
Hi Fire Cat,
you can do a basic Vedic chart on astro.com using the Hindi/Lahiri zodiac. To interpret the chart you just need to know that one sign = one house in Vedic astrology and you start counting from the Ascendant / first house.

However, Vedic Astrology also uses planetary periods called dashas in forecasting and you need a Vedic software to do those calculations. There are also other calculations such as "Ashtagakarga" where points are assigned to each house to determine strength. Another important chart is the "Navamsa" chart which is a 9th harmonic chart derived from the natal chart. It's helpful to have software to do all those calculations ;)..... I'd say for a beginner you only need a natal chart, the dasha calculations and maybe the Navamsa chart.

ETA: the Jagannatha Hora Lite software can do all those calculations and many more and it's free. There are other free calculators on the web but I've found the J. Hora Lite software to be one of the easiest to use and you can install it on your computer.

where can you get Jagannatha Hora Lite software ?

aranarose

I would like to join in on this as well. I'll be ordering both the books mentioned later this week, so should get them in time to start!

firecatpickles

Hello and welcome, aranarose!

We are starting Memorial Day weekend, May 28th, astroandtarot.

I can only really afford the Komilla book. I am spoiling myself with a Summer reading list, and this is one of the books that is one it.

I think what may work best is if we start Threads, one for studying each chapter. As we go along we can look at each other's charts and perhaps start additional Threads for practice readings.

astroandtarot

Fire Cat
i think i will withdraw for now. I am taking too many study and i think i am pushing it ..lol.
i dont think i will have time to read everything .

Vedic Astrology is one of my interest among many others.

May be one day i will have more time to tap into this.

thank you .

Tina

May

Fire Cat said:
I think what may work best is if we start Threads, one for studying each chapter. As we go along we can look at each other's charts and perhaps start additional Threads for practice readings.

I finally found out that im recieving this book next week. I think chapter classification of thread should work and if more detailed study is required on a certain topic we could start a special thread in between.

Practice readings i think will be more required for learning.

May