MAAT Study Group-The Moon

juliecucciawatts

Part ONE

THE MOON card in the MAAT Tarot represents the 13th full moon in the year.

This full moon is defined as a second full moon in a single ?calendar? month or

the BLUE MOON...

The Moon card is traditionally known to be deceptive and illusionary. Within the context of MAAT Tarot, the Moon card represents the thirteenth full moon within the solar year so it could be described as “deceptive” and “illusionary”. When the lunar cycles are measured within the constraints of a solar year there are 13 full moons. If the moon were on her own, she would flow though the 12 signs of the zodiac again and again seamlessly.

In Western culture the number 13 has been thought of as bad luck and traditionally associated with the death card in tarot. But interestingly enough there are actually 13 weeks in each season. Perhaps earlier calendars were based on the number thirteen rather than the number 12?

There have been some occultists who have said that the constellation Ophiuchus(the serpent bearer) was once the all important 13th sign. Ophiuchus is a large constellation spread out above Scorpio and Sagittarius but whose foot actually falls between the two signs. Greek mythology refers to Ophiuchus as an actual person Aesclepius, Master Architect, Healer, and God of Wisdom the Greek name for the Egyptian pharaoh and god-king Imhotep. Ophiuchus has also been associated with Hercules by some. Hercules, another ancient hero associated with 12, who had 12 labors one of which one was to kill a serpent. The twelve and the one symbolism is also found in the Christian religion with Jesus and his 12 apostles. King Arthur and his 12 knights of the ‘round table’. One might also see this symbolism in modern courtrooms. The judge (dressed in black) who sits above in an enclosure presiding with 12 lesser judges the jury dispensing justice…As well as the 13 witches of a coven. It would seem that the number 13 is swirling with intrigue and has been the focal point for political power and religious mystery for sometime. Perhaps the number thirteen had been a key to understanding timing in the ancient world, knowledge being power, it may have been coveted and hidden away by a select few, shrouded with mystery and cloaked with taboo even ridiculed…hence the word ‘lunatic’ comes to mind.
However, the moon herself does have a distinctive recordable cycle that repeats every 18.6 years. This cycle was known and documented by ancient observers. The ancient people who created Stonehenge noted this 18.6-year cycle and so did the Mayans. (18.6 years is equivalent to 240 lunar months) This 18.6-year cycle opens some wonderful understandings of the triple Moon goddesses (known as Maiden, Mother, and Crone) found all over ancient Europe. In the ancient world, 18.6 years is about the amount of time it takes to move through each of these cycles of womanhood.

The moon that seems to have become vestigial in the modern era, reduced to simply being a beautiful object in the night’s sky. The Moon was once extremely important and is still quite useful to those who would recognize her assets. The moon comes full every 28 ¼ days. This aligns with the menstrual cycle of women. Giving timing to human gestation periods had to be critical to human survival. One can see the practicality of how and why the moon became a goddess in the ancient world.

The moon’s phases also have a practical application their changing every 7 days is no doubt the basis for the measurement of what we know as the week. The natural waxing and waning of the lunar cycle suggests a beginning, middle and end followed by a new beginning. This pattern follows the rhythm of human activity, we start things we work on them we finish and we start something new. The moon’s cycle of birth, fullness, death and rebirth certainly reflects the themes of ancient and modern forms of religious belief, giving a basis for hope of continuation. The moon has many practical uses as well.

Personally I have found starting new projects on the new moon working on said project through the month and finishing it up during the waning energy of the moon cycle keeps me from having a collection of half finished projects sitting around. Many times people get excited by the full moon and start a project during this high-energy time only to find their enthusiasm waning a week later and the project ends up unfinished and abandoned in some forgotten closet. In my opinion trying to create something new during a waning moon is very difficult and I find my train of thoughts will simply begin to dissolve. However during the waning moon I find it is easy to finish something I have already started thoughts which flow easily and I know just what to do next. Try this for yourself.

The way I see the moon is that she helps to bring a structure to the solar increments of the days and the seasons. Her cycle of 18.6 years gives generational segments to the accumulation of solar years.

The sun tells us when we should wake up in the morning and when we should go to sleep. He tells us when winter is coming and when the growing season has returned. The moon tells us when the energy is right for planting and when it is right for harvesting. The sun and the moon are each important in their own way for the measurement of time. Easily compared to humans as male and female, the sun and moon are each equally important but functionally quite different and not at all interchangeable.

When we compare the cycles of sun and moon as if they were wheels of a 'chariot', and force the moon to compare equally within the sun's year, we create the illusion that the moon is inconsistent and unpredictable. In this context its natural pattern is obscured and the moon appears chaotic and random. We have created this troublesome incongruent 13th moon. It is not the moon that is illusionary or deceptive- it is the human concept that months themselves are forced to meet the measure of the year.

This thirteenth moon became an issue during an era when men created a lunar styled calendar that was static and related more to the sun than the moon. One of these calendars was created under the direction of Julius Caesar in 46BC. His idea was to replace the multitude of inaccurate and diverse calendars of the Roman commonwealth with a single official calendar. The Julian Calendar (also called Old Style Calendar) replaced the Roman Republican calendar dating system that evolved in Rome prior to the Christian era. The Roman Republican calendar was based on a 10-month lunar cycle and according to legend, Romulus, (the co-founder of Rome) instituted in it about 738 BC. In reality this calendar was taken straight from the Greek Lunar Calendar, which came from Babylon. By the 1st century BC, the Roman calendar had become hopelessly confused. The year, based on cycles and phases of the moon, totaled 355 days, about 10 ¼ days shorter than the solar year. The occasional inclusion of an extra month of 27 or 28 days, called Mercedonius, kept the calendar in step with the seasons. But the confusion was compounded by Rome's corrupt political maneuvers. The Pontifex Maximus and the College of Pontiffs had the authority to alter the calendar, and they sometimes did so to reduce or extend the term of a particular magistrate or other public official.
Finally Julius Caesar employed the astronomer and mathematician Sosigenes of Alexandria to create a new calendar. With the help of this Egyptian astronomer, Caesar created a new calendar based on the sun, not the moon, and he made the length of the solar year as 365 1/4 days. The year was then divided into 12 months, all of which had either 30 or 31 days except February (which contains 28 days in common (365-day) years and 29 in every fourth year (a leap year, of 366 days). With Sosigenes' help, on Jan. 1, 45 BC, Rome adopted the new, Julian calendar, but due to misunderstandings, the calendar was not established smoothly until AD 8. Sosigenes' astronomical writings, including Revolving Spheres, have all been lost, except for some isolated fragments. One notable fragment mentions Sosigenes' belief that Mercury revolved around the Sun.

With minor modifications this calendar is the same as the modern Gregorian calendar. However this particular Solar month calendar was not used in all of Europe. Even England did not switch to a solar month calendar until King James (of the 'King James Bible' fame) implemented it in the 1600's. Which means up until that point the British Isles still used the ancient lunar and cross quarter day calendar.

Other Names: Blue Moon

Symbols: moon; time; measurement of time; female life cycle

Attributes: something rare; special; a misconception; mystery to unravel

In a Reading: The moon traditionally means deception and illusion. However it is a card that signifies the subconscious mind as well as the intuition. It also suggests feminine issues of all types, and reflects the feminine point of view into neighboring cards. It relates to all things that run in cycles and speaks to a source of light on a dark issue.

It also speaks of working with the moons energy instead of against it. This card suggests seeing something through from the beginning to its completion and also seeing what comes after. This card also suggests using something for what it was intended for and not trying to make something into what it is not. It is a great card for claiming and reclaiming personal empowerment and embracing your own worldview instead of the worldview being offered to you.

This year the Blue Moon is in Sagittarius and this means it is ruled by the planet Mercury. People born with a moon in Sagittarius are known for their generosity. The Roman god Mercury was known as the messenger of the gods,when science asks us what could be faster than the speed of light I often think the speed of thought. When one thinks of mercury the element we also think of its other name quicksilver. Mercury or quicksilver is not something we would play with now as we know now how toxic mercury is but quicksilver regardless of its toxic nature can still be admired for its ability to separate and combine with itself in its semi-liquid semi-solid state. It naturally forms little silver balls and can easily be scattered be drawn back to itself seamlessly. What can we expect with such a rare phenomenon as a Blue Moon with all these aspects to consider? It seems to me that this combination may give us a rare opportunity to connect in a special way. Perhaps a chance to meet up with people of like mind and feel a real connection with in a spiritual/loving way? You may finally "see" what you have been looking for.

Have a great week,
Julie

Attachments

• themoon.jpg
    themoon.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 726

Penthasilia

Maat tarot IDS

Cards/Numbers: Moon/73, Ace of Swords/74, Ace of Wands/75, Ace of Cups/76, Ace of Coins/77

Card Images: see attached, the Ace of Coins could not be found

First Impressions: And we come to the mystery of the moon and the aces. And to me, they run together, hand in hand- the mystery of the Moon, the culmination of all the suits. And I am reminded of the journey that I have taken through the suits. And I feel the seasons shift within my Spirit. And they speak to me their secrets, and I learn from their wisdom. And a voice whispers softly- and teaches the way, the way to Divinity, to fullness of Spirit- “Pray”, it whispers softly- “Pray”.

Masculine/Feminine/Neutral: neutral

Senses: There is no air, I am drifting within ether. And I watch as the seasons shift before me: the cool crisp autumn air, the cold winter night, the warming spring blossoms and the heat of the summer night- all lit with the silvery light of the moon.

Symbols: faces of women in various stages of life, sword, wand, cup and coin.

Story (intuitive): I look at the cards, and the Spirit in me is moved. And I remember… I remember- the mystery of the Divine, the hard road of the swords, the hibernation of the winter wands, the fullness of love in the cups and the spiritual journey of the coins. And I smile as I look down- a journey coming to a close, a journey that has lent me wisdom and strength. And I realize now, that each card signifies one of the five fundamental prayers.

Moon: The mystery of the majors, the mystery of divine. A prayer lifted up to the Gods and Goddesses, praise for their presence in our lives: Hail to You for your divinity. You complete humanity, and make us whole. The universe is wonderful with You in it. Praise to you, Gods and Goddesses, for all that you have given us. Hail to you!

Swords: The hard road of failure, difficulty and strife. A prayer to you, a simple one filled with emotion: I am sorry! I am sorry for the times that I have failed you. I am sorry for those times where I have not lived to your expectations. I am sorry for the times that I took the easy road, instead of the one filled with wisdom. Yet, You stood beside me, forgiving me my losses, and through my sorrow, I have been lifted again. I am sorry!

Rods: The road of vulnerability, a road of contemplation. A prayer to you: Please! I am vulnerable, even in times of victory- for I can never live up to your ideal. Please, be there to guide me, please- never leave my side. Please- don’t stop loving me. Please- don’t give up on me. Please- help me. Please heal me. Please!

Cups: The road of love and warmth. A prayer to you: I love you! I am so blessed to have you in my life. The love I have for You has shown me so much, and has guided me in how to love others around me. I gave up my pride, my ideals, my arrogance- and in that place found a love that is more true than any other. I love you!

Coins: The road of gratitude and reflection. A prayer to you: Thank you! Thank you for staying by my side through the journey. Thank you for walking beside me even when I chose the wrong path. Thank you for never giving up on me, even those times I gave up on myself. Thank you!

May I live in prayer and thankfulness to You. May I live true to my Wyrd. May I walk forever beside You. May I hear Your voice forever. My Spirit lifts up my prayers to You, each suit a call to Divine. And in the end, it is the mystery revealed in the cards that calls to us all from a distance- our link to Your presence, our link to Spirit, a path to guide us all back home.

Astrologic: Moon: 13th moon, can fall in any zodiac sign, sword: autumn, wand: winter, cup: spring and coin: summer

Element: all elements, including ether

Keywords and Meanings:
Moon: illusion, deception. A mystery, a rare gift, Divinity- though often misinterpreted by humanity- hence the illusion.
Ace of Swords: the fulfillment and completion of suit of Swords. The season of Autumn, the element of fire, a time of destruction and harvest.
Ace of Wands: the fulfillment and completion of suit of Wands. The season of Winter, the element of air, a time of healing and rejuvenation.
Ace of Cups: the fulfillment and completion of suit of Cups. The season of Spring, the element of water, a time emotion and love.
Ace of Coins: the fulfillment and completion of suit of Coins. The season of Summer, the element of earth, a time of creation.

Quote: "I have learned the fundamental prayers, and live my life as a heathen re-born.”

Attachments

• themoon.jpg
    themoon.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 602
  • swords01l.jpg
    swords01l.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 587
  • Maat Ace of Wands.jpg
    Maat Ace of Wands.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 635
  • aceofcups_poster-p228482292384947596t5wm_400.jpg
    aceofcups_poster-p228482292384947596t5wm_400.jpg