MAAT Study Group-10 of Coins

juliecucciawatts

Week of the new moon in Cancer

“The new moon phase symbolizes always being at the beginning and end seeing life as an ever opening bud.The intuition rather than logic rules here, the projection of self on other's motivations. Very powerful for beginnings and endings”

10 of Coins

Planetary ruler the Moon

The image for the 10 of Coins is an o l d man contemplating a fountain. Ten coins superimposed on the fountain take the shape of the ancient Egyptian ankh. The symbol of the ankh means 'life'. It is also the symbol that is used by Western Culture to represent ‘female’ as well as the planet Venus named for the Roman goddess of Love. Co-mingling the ideas of Life springing from the female. Water has long been associated with having feminine qualities.

Life on earth has been theorized to have come from the sea. So we see the old man reflecting upon life and the source of life and perhaps the family he loves which was born from the woman he loves. Life is inherited. It is something that comes from our parents and their parents and so on and so on. Until we find that we have all come from the very energy that formed the universe in the first place. We are not only part of the greater whole we could not be separated from it even if we wanted to be.

The coins also take the form found in the ancient Hebrew Kaballah, a mystical tradition that has recently become popular in America. The images on my coins are Egyptian hieroglyphs I found in the Egyptian Book of the Dead. Being a visual person I had a hard time associating the mystical names on the Kaballah's Tree of Life placements. However when I read the Chapter entitled The Doctrine of Eternal Life in the Book of the Dead, the Kaballah's Tree of Life sprang into my mind and became understandable. I painted the hieroglyphs for each on the Tree. Considering how culturally/genetically close the Hebrews and the Egyptians were/are, both nations fathered by the biblical Abraham, I felt making this leap was not too far fetched.

Think for a moment about what you have inherited from your family for positive or negative. What is it that your have inherited from your family? Did you inherit wealth, power or a bad reputation? Did you inherit your mother’s hair, your grandfather’s car, your hatred of brussel sprouts or your spiritual beliefs? We have a choice in some of what we accept as inheritance. Some things we may want to keep while other things we may decide to forego. What legacy would you like to leave for the generations that follow you?

In a Reading: This card represents some kind of inheritance or legacy. Alone it can represent a monetary bequest, an object or property that is inherited. It can also represent family genetics that are passed on from one generation to the next, physical traits for positive or negative. The type of legacy can be suggested by neighboring cards.

Traditional tarot meaning: inheritance.

Attachments

• 10ofcoins.jpg
    10ofcoins.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 582

annik

The old man is thinking. I find that this old man have some hermit quality. He is deeply absorbed by his thinking. I wonder if he is Socrate...