New book ~ Secret Language of the Tarot.....opinions?

6 Haunted Days

I've just ordered The Secret Language of Tarot by Wald Amberstone, Ruth Ann Amberstone (They are the teachers at the Tarot School in NYC) and it looks so awesome!

The publish date on it is April 2008, so I'm not sure how many of you have it yet. But take a look! http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1578634164

It's about all the symbols in Tarot.....a subject I just love! I shoud get it fairly soon and am quite excited.

There's a dirth of "how-to" on the Tarot, but so few books about other subjects relating to it, and so finding one is cause for celebration!

Rosanne

Hi 6 Haunted Days.
I have just searched inside the book and it is about the RWS Tarot- and although it says symbols of Tarot- it is deck specific. I learned with the RWS and that was my base Tarot learning- but it is not about Tarot in general.
I don't think, other than in a cursory way you can apply it to other decks. If the RWS and the system as it applies to decks of that genre, is what you want to learn about symbolically- then great - it looks thorough and of course interesting.
You are right- any new book about Tarot is welcomed by me. I wish the authors every success.
~Rosanne

6 Haunted Days

Yes, I did see it was about the symbols that are in the RWS, but as many of those symbols are basic and pretty prevalent throughout other decks, they could certainly be used with others very much so.

Things such as Roses, Lillies, Paths, Pillars, Mountains, Moon, Stars, Castles, Rivers, Clouds.....

Well I could go on and on but those things appear in a vast majority of decks I use!

Bernice

Thanks Rosanne for giving a idea of what the book is about. "I have just searched inside the book and it is about the RWS Tarot" Pity. But great for those who are into the Rider-Waite.

Bee

Aerin

I agree that the book looks usable with more than just the one deck, but even if just my Universal I want it.

Aerin

ps £12.83 from US amazon or £18 odd from Uk amazon. Let me see. Which site shall I order from?

Rose

I received this book last week. First, it is not an all encompassing book on tarot symbols. The only symbols discussed are crowns, pillars, rose and lily, paths, mountains, crosses, moons, stars, pools, horses, suns, banners, armor, blindfolds, feathers, castles, clouds, gardens, rivers, towers, angels, and temples. Each symbol is discussed in depth in a very scholarly way. There are frequent references to alchemy, qabalah, astrology, and freemasonry and some knowledge of these would be helpful to get the most out of this book. There are some interesting spreads in the book. I'm not sorry I bought the book, but I wouldn't put this book on my must buy list.

Rose

Bernice

Thank you Rose for that review.

Bee :)

Jewel

Rose said:
There are frequent references to alchemy, qabalah, astrology, and freemasonry and some knowledge of these would be helpful to get the most out of this book. There are some interesting spreads in the book. I'm not sorry I bought the book, but I wouldn't put this book on my must buy list.
Ohhhh then I must have this book *LOL* ~off to put it on Amazon wishlist~

Verdi

Dang! Could'nt not buy it, so it's in its way. :)
Verdi

fyreflye

This book was sitting on the Tarot shelf at Borders this morning as I passed by clutching a 40% off coupon so I bought it. I'd agree that it should work best with the RWS or one of its recolored clones but not with a deck that uses similar but not identical images like the Morgan-Greer or Robin Wood. This is not a "that card means this" book, so you can't just use it as a crib for readings; Place's book is good for that. But by deepening the associations of symbols - like the blindfold, the cross, the pathway, the sun, the pillars - it should be useful for anyone who reads with any deck that maintains a consistent symbolic pattern. I was struck by the depth of insight into some of the better known cards, insights that significantly altered my view of cards like The Moon and the Nine of Swords. Unless you're a purely intuitive reader, I'd say get it.