DruidCraft Study Group - King of Wands

TygrEyes

Druidcraft Study Group - Kind of Wands

The King of Wands sits upon his throne with one elbow on the armrest and his staff in the other hand. You can see behind his head that his throne is richly carved with a zoomorph. They look to be rams to me, and there are rams on the armrests as well.
The King is clothed in a red belted tunic with warm golden colored plaid pants. He wears a cloak of most purple with a royal blue caplet. The caplet is decorated with two golden lizards and trimmed with gold - some braided. This King also wears a finely crafted golden circlet about his head.
The King of Wands is a very strong-willed individual. He’s someone who won’t back down when defending his people, their way of life, and their ideals. He’s strong enough in his convictions to stay on course despite outside pressures. If things got physical he wouldn’t hesitate to take up the shield at his side and meet the challenge head on. He’s a passionate man who inspires his people with his strength of character, enthusiasm, and by example.
It’s no wonder he’s a King. The leadership ability and strength of conviction are natural qualities in someone like him. He is a born leader because of his mental and physical strength.
On the negative side, he could be very controlling. He could use all that mental and physical strength to dominate instead of lead. Someone with the qualities of the King of Wands using them negatively could become a cult leader. In fact, I’d say all the cult leaders in the past who have lead their followers to horrible ends, ie, Waco, TX, have been King of Wands types.

Attachments

• DCSGKW.jpg
    DCSGKW.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 419

Pipistrelle

Hi All,

First impressions...this King is leaning forward. I get the feeling there are others around him and in front of him and he is listening to the conversation. He has a steadfastness about him, a firm set to his jaw, and his pose is strong and commanding. But at the same time, he has wise, gentle eyes and laughter lines. That slight raise of his eyebrow tells me he enjoys good company. His family and friends are of utmost importance to him. After the days work is done, I can imagine him sitting around, having a drink and laughing. He is a strong father figure to his children, but joyous too.

That's what I love about the Druidcraft - I got all that from his expression and the way he's sitting!

I love the other subtle clues though - the wand, held firm and upright, proudly and defensively. And the shield, resting by his side. This is a man who fights - or at least fights to protect his loved ones. He does what needs to be done, but his relaxed posture now tells me that he doesn't make a huge song and dance about it - there is a time for fighting, and this isn't it.

That's all I got...

I like this guy...I feel like he should have a name. "King of Wands" is so impersonal...I'll have to think of a better one ;)

Pip

WalesWoman

He reminds me of Patrick Stewart about 1000 years ago... I've been looking at this guy and finally Jean Luc Picard came to mind. That same control and mastery... sort of boldly going where no human has gone before sort of mind set.

Sorry, wrong century, but same guy. Who knows maybe it is his ancient ancestor dreaming it up and determined to see what lies beyond the stars.

He may be sitting in his chair, but it's just for show I'm sure. He looks like he'd much rather be up and doing something, and will be in just a sec. He is ready to leap without hesitation at anytime or pounce on an opportunity.

WolfSpirit

The king sits down but nonetheless makes a very active impression ~ he is listening and watching attentively, but also ready to jump up.
I like it that he looks lively, but still has the authority and maturity of the king he is.
(I already mentioned this) Putting the king and queen of wands next to each other, it is clear how much they look alike: their tunics are almost the same and also the rest of the clothes - both are wearing shoes (while most people in the Druidcraft are barefoot), I think because they are prepared for activities that could hurt their feet, climbing on rocky hills or horse riding for example. Also, the king and queen sit in the same way, their legs mirror each others.
There are no significent features in his surroundings or background, he is such a strong personality he takes up the whole picture.
Talking of strong: I like his underarm and hand, I think they show his strength.

Sulis

I've recently been looking at the Court Cards from an elemental perspective.

Paul Fenton-Smith, in his book 'The Tarot Revealed' gives each type of court card an element. I know that Crowley did this too but Paul Fenton-Smith's correspondences resonate with me much better than those used by Crowley.
These are the correspondences I've been using.

Page / Princess - air - beginnings
Knight /Prince - fire - action, change
Queen - Water - emotions, feelings
King - Earth -manifestation

(Crowley, I think had Princess - Earth, Prince - Air, Queen - Water and Knight or King - Fire. I've always had trouble with these correspondences.)

This would make the King of Wands Earth of Fire: He achieves practical, material success through self discipline, enthusiasm and passion. He puts the qualities of the fire suit to real, practical use.

Just looking at the image of this king, I think he fits these criteria very well.
He looks like a born leader. Sitting still doesn't seem to be his natural state at all, he looks like he's just gagging to get up and do something.
He doesn't look like a man you'd want to cross either - he's got a fiery temper and he likes to be in control of a situation. I can imagine it would be quite difficult to persuade this guy that your way of doing something is better than his.
He has a very firm grip on that wand and he's fixing us with a very fierce stare - he knows what he wants and I'll bet he knows how to get it too. Interesting that the Knight of Wands has his eyes closed - he's taking the leap - not so with this guy, his eyes are well and truly open. I'd say he makes sure he knows exactly where he's going before he jumps.

The rams on his throne I would say link him to the sign of Aeries.

Waleswoman, I can see Jean Luc Picard in him too :)

I've just noticed the 2 salamanders on his cloak, both complete a circle by having their tales in their mouths. I'll have to go back and have a look at the Knight to see if there are any salamanders on that card.

Love

Sulis xx

Laurelin

I believe there are salamanders on all the fire cards except her magesty (the queen)... the chest of the prince, the dress of the princess, the mantle of the king. If anyone can find the salamander in the queen card, let me know. (I suspect that since she bears the fire itself, she needs none... of course, I can take my magnifying glass to the card later and perhaps see if the adornment on her belt resembles a salamander.)

The king sits, leaning forward, listening to someone. I think one of his subjects (or even family members) has come to him with an issue. He isn't just listening now, he's planning a way to deal with the situation. He thinks better in a more active position. He's not a sitter, he's a doer. He'd rather show someone how to do something than tell them. He gets unconditional obedience from his subjects. He has protected them fiercely against all foes, and he enforces his sensible laws. He bears a shield to fend off unforseen attacks. He is tanned from working in the sun. His visage suggests years of manual work. He isn't a layabout king, he battled and raged as a youth and is now aware of the implications of war. His actions will bring about change, and they won't always be easy changes, but they will be necessary. His laugh lines and frown lines indicate that he has participated in life, the smiles, and the tears. He reacts to things as an empassioned man should, and he doesn't overthink situations or let opportunities pass him by.

--Laurelin

Arania

Yup, Picard alright. Make it so, Number One.

He's listening to everyone's opinion, aware that the final decision is with him. There is a lot of responsibility, but he is ready for it. And I don't think he'd be afraid to admit mistakes.

Fostha

TygrEyes said:
Druidcraft Study Group - Kind of Wands

The King of Wands sits upon his throne with one elbow on the armrest and his staff in the other hand. You can see behind his head that his throne is richly carved with a zoomorph. They look to be rams to me, and there are rams on the armrests as well.
The King is clothed in a red belted tunic with warm golden colored plaid pants. He wears a cloak of most purple with a royal blue caplet. The caplet is decorated with two golden lizards and trimmed with gold - some braided. This King also wears a finely crafted golden circlet about his head.
The King of Wands is a very strong-willed individual. He’s someone who won’t back down when defending his people, their way of life, and their ideals. He’s strong enough in his convictions to stay on course despite outside pressures. If things got physical he wouldn’t hesitate to take up the shield at his side and meet the challenge head on. He’s a passionate man who inspires his people with his strength of character, enthusiasm, and by example.
It’s no wonder he’s a King. The leadership ability and strength of conviction are natural qualities in someone like him. He is a born leader because of his mental and physical strength.

On the negative side, he could be very controlling. He could use all that mental and physical strength to dominate instead of lead. Someone with the qualities of the King of Wands using them negatively could become a cult leader. In fact, I’d say all the cult leaders in the past who have lead their followers to horrible ends, ie, Waco, TX, have been King of Wands types.
I'm starting to really understand this card now,and that makes so much sense doesn't it.

Disa

Such wonderful observations and information everyone has already provided.

I quite agree with the strength aspect of this King-both physical and emotional. He knows when to act and when to listen. He has a very loving and kind demeanor, trustworthy and passionate about his beliefs and the people he cares about. The blue sky with the puffy white clouds help me to see this is a calm time. Though we cannot see the actual sun in the picture, there is sunlight.

It's interesting to me that we cannot see the tip of his staff, just as in the Princess of wands. The both hold their staffs with authority and purpose, but we cannot see what's at the top of it. I wonder what that means.

I do notice that the Princess holds he staff at an angle, bottom side closer to her as if she is getting a grip or a handle on things, whereas the King holds his staff completely upright, strong and true. He already has a good grip on things.