Piatnik, Chosson, or Madenié??

kalliope

The Rhenan/Piatnik is a great deck, isn't it, kalliope? It has my favorite Hermit of all time.

Yes, it is great! There is something especially friendly about it, and the faces are interesting and a little odd and are refreshingly different from the ubiquitous Conver faces (nothing against them, though!) I like the Hermit, too. :thumbsup:

feynrir

I have the Chosson and the Rhenan, which I understand to be essentially identical to the Piatnik, just retitled, and maybe the colors are a little different between the prints. The Rhenan is published by Piatnik, and supposedly has the same cardstock according to old threads I saw when researching the decks. (Someone had a copy of each.) [...]

I love them both, and they are so different it would be difficult to chose just one. In fact, I will be getting the Madenié soon also, so I'm absolutely no help in the decision department. ;)

ETA: My two favorite details of the decks: the angular chin of the Reine D'espee in the Rhenan, and the facial expression of the woman on the right in L'Amoureux in the Chosson. :grin:

Thank you SO much for the detailed opinions/experience, kalliope! Wow!! :) :)

I ended up purchasing the Chosson with my temporary Amazon Prime membership, so I actually have it at this point! And I must say I made the right decision for myself. I don't think I can play around with funds enough to get all three of these decks, at least not soon.

I'm actually surprised and think that I can read with the Chosson even with square corners! The Mongean shuffle is my friend ;) It's just SO gorgeous. People here seem to prefer the Madenié, but the Chosson cries out much more loudly to me. Must be my love of messy decks :love: The Chosson is a bit "warmer" and those lush color splashes are just charming.

Thank you so much for your account, I definitely plan on getting the Piatnik/Rhenan at some point because I am very curious about its cardstock, and also would like a reproduction with rounded corners for more rigorous handling. Cheers!

I love the Rhenan, which - as Kalliope says - is the same deck as the Piatnik. The colors in my Piatnik look a little warmer than the Rhenan, but that's the only visual difference between them and it might not apply to all of the printings.

Regarding the use of square-cornered cards, what I do is shuffle and spread another deck (any deck), and then do the identical layout with my square-cornered cards. That way, the facsimiles are not damaged in any way can be reordered easily after readings.

I have the Chosson and the Madenie, and they're both wonderful. If I had to choose, probably the Madenie would come out on top - but honestly, they're both stunning and the quality of Yves' work is second to none.
I must agree with you, Yves' work is just stunning! THANK YOU, YVES!! :love:

As I said earlier, I actually enjoy mixing up the square-cornered cards :) It requires patience and love, which is kind of nice and meditative to do before a reading! That being said, I certainly feel the need to be ultra-gentle with this deck but so so glad to have given it a home. It's stunning :)

So curious about that Piatnik still, but it'll have to wait :D And lastly, as I said above, I think it's very interesting that like yourself, many seem to slightly prefer the Madenié. I enjoyed reading your opinions, and your statement about the Piatnik vs. Rhenan colors really helps. Thanks Astraea!

kalliope

No problem, you're welcome! I like comparing and contrasting decks, and it was fun to get them out and snap a few photos. :)

I'm glad you love the Chosson! It sounds like a perfect fit deck for you. As for the others, you can always seek them out later, when the time (and funds) are right.