The Good Tarot by Colette Baron-Reid

katyanne

I want this one.

Miss Divine

I think the artwork is lovely and I very much appreciate HH's production value/price ratio. Am hoping the combination of this deck and one of my tough love, kick up the rear decks will help get me unstuck from the mud.

This is exactly how I use this deck. :D I enjoy using it together with the Thelema tarot. They look visually stunning together as well.

Have fun with your new deck! :)

Scarlet Woodland

This is exactly how I use this deck. :D I enjoy using it together with the Thelema tarot. They look visually stunning together as well.

Have fun with your new deck! :)

I got it today! :)

You're right, it's working wonderfully for this. Have been working with it a lot today and it's reading really clearly. It's definitely not doing the fluffy thing for me; it has more of a fey, grandmother energy. It'll tell it to you straight but with kindness. I'm going to try it with the Bohemian Gothic this week :D

Think I'm going to edge it in gold soon.

CharlotteK

This isn't a deck on my wishlist for end of June when my TOADie buying abstinence is up. Both Thelema and Wisdom of the Oracle decks are on my trade / sell list for being a bit meh. But I'm quite taken with the idea of combining this with one or both of them and putting them back into use. Hmmmmm!

GlitterNova

I've finally ordered this one after being somewhat disappointed in my last two decks (both of which were very heavily RWS based). I'm hoping this one with its looser imagery will connect with me more.

FLizarraga

I had been on the fence for a long time about this deck, and today I went by the local bookstore, and there it was.

The bookstore owner (nicest lady ever) is trying to introduce our Bible Belt small town to Tarot and oracle cards, so she is getting non-threatening decks like a nice pocket Hanson-Roberts that comes with a book (Tarot for All? I forgot), CBR's oracles, and this one. So I took it as a signal and bought it.

I just finished going through the cards, and I'm still not sure if I like it. It is a gorgeous, gorgeous deck. The cards do suffer from pastel-itis, though --a disease that happens when someone makes all these beautiful paintings, puts them on the floor, empties a random bunch of tubes of pastel colors on them and then leaves them to dry in the sun.

The resulting cards are breathtaking and nicely "aged," but more than a little fuzzy; you have to squint really hard to get at the details, and sometimes you are not quite sure what you're looking at.

The Emperor has a lion head, and that makes the lion in the Lovers a little less confusing, though it is still an issue with me. The Hierophant is female, but the unusual choice does not interfere with the meaning of the card at all; it is indeed one I like a lot.

Card XIII, "Transformation," seems to be a longhaired child holding a fairy in her (his?) hand, because... your guess is as good as mine. Card XV, "Temptation" is... well, something or other. It sleeps. Card XVI, "Tower," is a... pretty tower.

Don't get me wrong: despite the things I don't like, and the things that leave me scratching my head, and the acute pastelitis (remember when y'all we're complaining about the Shadowscapes? Think AGAIN), there is some nice meat to this deck. Some of the minors are really neat, and some of the courts have a lot of personality, which is rare. (Courts tend to suffer from the "guy with a crown and a sword" disease. Not these ones, fortunately.)

It is a beautiful deck, and I think that for meditation and intuitive reading (as well as pairing it with a straight-talker deck: neat idea!!! :thumbsup:) it could be just the ticket.

Regarding Jena Della Grottaglia (of whom I'm a big fan), I found her credited on at least three different places (box, back cover of the book, copyright page), plus at the end of the book there is both an About the Artist page and a personal message from her. So she is hardly uncredited, methinks. And she has done most of CBR's decks, if not all --that's in fact how I discovered her. So no worries, gregs: she is given the respect she deserves. I do agree that her name appears everywhere in too-tiny type, though.

BeyondtheVeil

Are these Tarot or Oracle Sized?

Are these Tarot Sized cards or Oracle Sized cards? I find that no matter how pretty the deck is that if the cards aren't Tarot or bridged size... I can't use them.

I think these are beautiful cards, but they look rather large for a tarot deck. Is this true?

Thanks for any help! :heart:

Brightest Blessings!
BeyondtheVeil

FLizarraga

The cards are 3.5" x 5" (8.9 cm x 12.7 cm). Not gigantic, but definitely large. And borderless, which means they are not trimmable.

And they are squarish, too. That added to the size makes for some awkward shuffling, even for someone with enormous hands as me. (For reference, the Mary-El Tarot cards are 3.43 x 5.51 in. = 8.70cm x 14.00cm. Longer, but not as wide, so a tad easier to shuffle, and definitely trimmable.)

BeyondtheVeil

The cards are 3.5" x 5" (8.9 cm x 12.7 cm). Not gigantic, but definitely large. And borderless, which means they are not trimmable.

And they are squarish, too. That added to the size makes for some awkward shuffling, even for someone with enormous hands as me. (For reference, the Mary-El Tarot cards are 3.43 x 5.51 in. = 8.70cm x 14.00cm. Longer, but not as wide, so a tad easier to shuffle, and definitely trimmable.)

Thanks for letting me know, FLizarraga! I thought they looked large for a 'tarot deck". They are quite pretty though. I wonder why so many designers aren't taking the size into account? I am going to pass up this deck because of how large the cards are. It would be a waste of money as I know I couldn't easily use them. Such a shame. Maybe she will redo them with normal sized cards or bridge size? Hopefully it happens.

Thanks again for responding! :heart:

Hugs,
BeyondtheVeil

FLizarraga

Thanks for letting me know, FLizarraga! I thought they looked large for a 'tarot deck". They are quite pretty though. I wonder why so many designers aren't taking the size into account? I am going to pass up this deck because of how large the cards are. It would be a waste of money as I know I couldn't easily use them. Such a shame. Maybe she will redo them with normal sized cards or bridge size? Hopefully it happens.

Thanks again for responding! :heart:

Hugs,
BeyondtheVeil

No problem! :love:

The problem with the size is that, if they make them ANY smaller, they will be a blur of pastels and glitter. They are hard to make out as it is. They have, however, a dreamy, otherworldly beauty that's perfect for meditation, so that's a thought.