mythic tarot question

starchild

hi, thanks for all your replies, lets see if i get this right, so if the publisher that is showing on the isbn of the box is Rider would i be right to assume the deck publisher was also Rider? since they came together as a set.

never will i be bothered again with the usgames copyright on the cards, its so much more simpler to see the publisher when on the cards.
my mythic deck has the copyright of the illistrator tricia newell 1986 on the back of the deck.

thank you all for your help with this x

rwcarter

There are multiple editions of the deck, put out by different publishers. Often the European publisher will be different than the North American publisher. My first Mythic deck was published by Fireside. I didn't break out the publishers of the other decks in my spreadsheet.

Amazon shows an edition published by Prentice Hall and an edition by Century (Rand). I believe there are 4 different backs, which were discussed in Mythic tarot - different editions and card backs? Each back would probably have a different ISBN and the same back could also have different ISBNs if they were published/distributed by different companies.

Rodney

starchild

rw carter thank you for the link, i dont know how i missed it since i have been in the forum searching for days!!!
However, i am slightly even more confused now then before. i still am not sure who published the deck, according to the deck and book large box the only name is Rider books but inside the book it says first published in great Britain in 1986 by rider, an imprint of random century group ltd
reprinted 1987,1988,2989,2990,1991,1992
underneath it says an Eddison Sadd edition.

I do tarot card reviews (in Spanish and in Spain) and naming the artist, the creator and the publisher is a must for me, yet with this deck i am still at a loss as to who to name as the publisher. Its a shame as i have had this deck for many years and am looking forward to its review that was due today and i am holding back until i can work out the publisher. I guess i could just say on the box it says Rider books and the subject of the actual publisher is open for discussion, although this is not the way i normally work.
What do you think, since i cannot seem to find the actual publisher, saying whats on the box may be the next best thing i can offer?
thank you all again for your input, i have spend many an hour on this question and your help has been very important, thank you.

rwcarter

rw carter thank you for the link, i dont know how i missed it since i have been in the forum searching for days!!!
However, i am slightly even more confused now then before. i still am not sure who published the deck, according to the deck and book large box the only name is Rider books but inside the book it says first published in great Britain in 1986 by rider, an imprint of random century group ltd
reprinted 1987,1988,2989,2990,1991,1992
underneath it says an Eddison Sadd edition.

I do tarot card reviews (in Spanish and in Spain) and naming the artist, the creator and the publisher is a must for me, yet with this deck i am still at a loss as to who to name as the publisher. Its a shame as i have had this deck for many years and am looking forward to its review that was due today and i am holding back until i can work out the publisher. I guess i could just say on the box it says Rider books and the subject of the actual publisher is open for discussion, although this is not the way i normally work.
What do you think, since i cannot seem to find the actual publisher, saying whats on the box may be the next best thing i can offer?
thank you all again for your input, i have spend many an hour on this question and your help has been very important, thank you.
It depends on which edition you're reviewing. Each of those 6 reprints could have different publishers/distributors. So you can list the publisher of the edition you're actually reviewing and mention that reprints have been put out by the following publishers and then list them.

Rodney

starchild

rwcarter, thank you for the reply, however that is the problem i still have, i cant find the publisher of the deck still. although it says Rider books on the box, i am still unsure if that includes the cards. The isbn comes up as Rider, but it is the isbn on the large deck and book box and i am still unsure if this is the publishers of the cards and deck together or if the book was published by Rider and the deck by another company. There is no where that i can find that tells me who published the deck that comes with the set. i can now only assume it is Rider and they published both the deck and book. but that is maybe wrong.

Its also the first time i have ever come across this problem, normally it is easier to find the publisher of a deck but this deck is throwing me all over. i think the many editions may be the reason and the lack of copyright for the cards publisher, the copyright on the deck is for the artist and not the publisher.

rwcarter

although it says Rider books on the box, i am still unsure if that includes the cards.
I think you're making it more complicated than it needs to be. If the cards were published by a different company, that company would've been noted somewhere. I would guess that Rider didn't print the cards, but they are responsible for publishing the set you have, and that includes both the deck and cards unless otherwise stated.

starchild

RWcarter Thankyou, that has cleared it up for me.. I will now look forward to doing my review today.

AJ

according to Amazon,

From the time of its first publication in 1986, The Mythic Tarot has sold over a million copies in dozens of countries.
https://www.amazon.com/New-Mythic-Tarot-Juliet-Sharman-Burke/dp/0312562012

2011 marked the 25th anniversary, with the new and unimproved editions.
I doubt this deck will ever be hard to find, unless a completest is trying to find every edition..

All that, said to say, Starchild, I share your problem in your efforts to be ethical.

I just crossed week 500 of tarot/oracle blogging.
My solution, which has morphed over the years,
Is note the deck name at the beginning of each post

On the side bar I provide a scan of the deck or over-box with publish date of my edition.
Plus an embedded link to the publisher first, or a link to the artist, or author website, whichever is the most appropriate. Sometimes I haven't been able to find a link source at all.

Do your best and move on. Pinterest has basically stuck a knife in the back of publishing ethics anyway.
And I have a block on my blog so I don't find my own posts and card scans there.

starchild

Thank you AJ great advice, I also like to state the creator, the artist and the publisher for any deck i am reviewing or talking about and sometimes its a little harder than expected.

cynthea

BOOK BINDING LOOSE- OPTIONS??

I just bought a used version on eBay with black backs- not the oldest apparently as this is a Fireside edition ISBN0-671-61863-6. The book is paperback black with a "Perfect" binding meaning glued. The glue dried up and cover is not connected at all. Luckily the cards are Like New! :) I am sure if I try to read it, the pages may also come apart. I am thinking possibly making this into a disc bound binding? I have been wanting to buy for awhile now. What do you think? Have bound by Staples into spiral- make it a disc bound journal or??

Now that I look closer it looks like the pages are stitched together, but all the glue is flaking off- maybe just regale the book to cover? It is not bound where the first page is connected to cover- usually glued, there are other binding options to consider too....

thanks and how are your books fairing??