How did you learn the Tarot?

Kira

I have always felt a deep attraction to the spiritual side of life, so learning the Tarot just felt right. I know it's not as simple as picking up the cards and being able to read immediately, but although I am still very new at this, those I have read for in the beginning have said that they were very pleased. I was extremely eager to become an experienced reader.

Things don't always go as planned though, and for a while, life took me away from my studies of the Tarot. I have recently picked up my deck once again, ready and eager to learn... because I am still a very new student.

I was just wondering... how did you learn to read the cards? Did you pick up a book and study, or did you just pick up one card each day and let it teach you? I bought a book when I bought my cards, and have taken many more out of the library. I've downloaded a computer program and visit multiple sites online. I'm just not sure how to go about it all. Don't get me wrong.. I do realize that it takes much practice and patience. ;)

I do think however that the deck I have is a bit vague for my liking. It hasn't steered me wrong so far, but when I do a reading (usually for myself or family members) I have to use my book to interpret the cards. I'm a very visual person, so I think maybe I need more of an illustrative deck than the one I have now. The minors are simply pictures of what each card is (ex: 7 of wands is just 7 wands) Maybe if I get a more detailed deck, I won't feel as frustrated, not knowing what I'm really seeing...?? As of right now, I'm more able to tell what each card means (because of the use of my book) than to tell the querent an actual answer to their question.

I would love some input on this! I'm more excited now than ever to learn!

Little Baron

What is the name of the deck you are using Kira?

LB

Kira

LittleBuddha said:
What is the name of the deck you are using Kira?

LB

I'm using the Angel Tarot: http://www.tarotpassages.com/angel5.jpg
http://www.tarotpassages.com/angel4.jpg

I found it more or less by accident in a spiritual store about 3 years ago. I had no experience in what to look for when chosing a deck and it was one of the only ones they had.

I would love to get a new deck but unfortunately that store is now closed and I have no idea where to look... aside from purchasing one online. :(

bladeraven

I actually started out with playing cards and when I felt brave enough...asked my older brother to get me a deck...I played with that for a few months (I was 13) but it was difficult gettign comfy because it was before the internet and we were in a small town so people who used the deck were labeled Satanists..so it was a hush hush thing to do...and 13, hormones and identity crisis..just wasn't right for me

Sophie

I started nearly 10 years ago.

I read cards for a lot of people, mostly live. I read for everyone I could.

I read thousands of books, but only two directly about the tarot (one of them an exercise book). Otherwise, I read about everything under the sun, in any form imaginable - poetry, novels, non-fiction. I watched movies. In the past year only have I started to read more tarot books - actually, books about tarot symbolism, history, numerology, the Marseille, etc.

I wrote down what I thought about the cards and readings when I thought about it, without making it a chore.

Above all, I lived with my cards. They followed me (still do) everywhere. I have some dirty, grimy and well-worn decks - and they all breathe the experience we have exchanged.

I read playing cards.

I lived life.

I am still learning the tarot ;)

Little Baron

I have never seen that deck before Kira. I must say that it is a very lovely looking one. The Devil is great!

I agree very much with Helvetica (as I do often ;) ).

A good way to work with the cards is to use them and write notes for what 'you' see in them. I think a 'living experience' is better than any book. Seeing how they work amongst each other; how they come up in readings and what they say in them.

A good place to research, where I did with the Marseille, is Jmd's threads here - each one is titled 'How may it be read'. They have a lot of different interpretations and really help your intuition to flow as you see how other people view each card.

I spent many years reading one book after another and with each one, I got more confused. One would say one thing and another would completely contradict it. I have books now which I journal in myself; my notes and understanding of the cards are getting larger and richer with every use.

Hope that helps
LB

autumn star

I learnt tarot ... just by jumping into the deep end really ...

I am just a person who learns best by experience so that is what I did ... and that is how I learnt ... I read some books ... but my most meaningful learning experiences came by just doing spreads for myself and others. This is how I learnt to use a more intuitive approach to the cards. I got to know my deck well too ... and feel comfortable using it.

If you feel that you don't have a very strong connection with your deck ... then search for one that jumps out at you ... I felt that having a strong connection with my deck helped me learn. I am like you ... I need cards with detailed pictures too.

hope that helps :)

Driley

My grandmother, who was a character, taught me Tarot. She had me look at each card (Smith-Waite deck) until I could see it with my eyes closed.

Then she had me imagine that I could climb into the card and interact with the scene. I would ask, for example, the Magician what he was doing. I would ask the Fool if he didn't notice there was a cliff.

I've read a ton of books (I have most of them still). And I love talking with others about Tarot. But when I'm stuck in a reading, I confess, I usually close my eyes and remember what the cards told me about themselves. That has, to date, always told me what I needed to know.

I miss my Grandmother a great deal. But everytime I pick up my cards, I feel like she is with me... just out of view.

:)

L'Etoile

Practice, read books, meditate, practice, talk to people who do it, read more books, practice.

At least, that's how I learned.

Umbrae

Kira said:
I was just wondering... how did you learn to read the cards? Did you pick up a book and study, or did you just pick up one card each day and let it teach you?
I journaled. I journaled meanings, readings, thoughts, afterthoughts…
Didn’t read any tarot books till I had two decades of reading for other people under my belt.