New Decks

musichawk4

Is there a suggested way of "breaking in" a new deck....

Thanks,

Amanda

Dwaas

Hello Amanda,
Welcome to AT forums! As a Dutchie I am not sure what you mean by "breaking in" a new deck. :) I presume you mean what to do with a new deck to make you feel comfortable with the cards? I like to take my time with new cards, study them lightly, I want to feel amazed by the new pictures on it, so I make sure I will not be disturbed by phone, roommate or visitors etc. And then what I always do is fold the cards a bit. I bend them a bit horizontal and vertical to take away the newness. While I do this card by card I have a look at them, look for new details which I did not see the first time when I got the cards out of their box. By bending them a bit, they do not only feel and shuffle better, but I also protect them from real harm while shuffling. Because they are after bending much more flexibel they will not damage as easy when you (or your querent) shuffle them wrongly by accident, which happens to me occasionally... The cards will stretch better and you will be able to stop the damage before real harm is done. And you will see the cards will really be yours, they are still brand new and at the same time they have your personal touch. Litterally :)
Have fun at the forums and blessings

Moonbow

I would say, spread the cards out on a table, look at them (make sure they're all there) look at the colours and spend some time studying them, noticing the symbolism, which ones you like or dislike, the feelings that each card gives you. Then shuffle and play.

Try some spreads just for fun, like how you and the deck will get along, or even just an open spread asking what information Tarot has for you, with no positions to the cards.

Then make the deck the one you will use for your daily readings, and over a few weeks you will get to know it well. The main thing is to keep looking and shuffling until it become very familiar to you.

SunChariot

Just love it. Decks need to be loved too. :)

I look it over to see what it feels like to me, to get to know it. I always feel a sense of awe with any of my decks at the wisdom I know it will reveal to me. Then I hold the love and awe in my heart, and ask it the questions I need to know. You get to know it best by doing readings with it.

Bar

SalomeTorera

When I get a new deck I just sit in silence and touch the cards. The first contact seems to be very important. I look at each and every one of the cards and "welcome" them :) Tarot loves attention and care, doesn't it? :)