Tarot novice here!~

Ace

themuffinman said:
Question barrage!! :p

-So if I ask once every 24 hours, it should be okay right?

-Is it true that if you don't truly understand your deck,you don't get accurate readings? Because since I just started,I just printed out various meanings and keep them by my side. *grimaces*

-My friend says that if I ask a same question,the cards will get tired and won't answer accurately.

-Last but not least! Are tarots 100% correct and should I make important decisions using them?

You are looking for hard and fast rules, sorry, there are none. tarot is more like that steakhouse ad: no rules, just right. Don't worry about getting the meaning of the card "right". If you are reading for someone else, free associate the meaning off the picture. That way, you can get messages from the universe that might be different from the "traditional" meaning for that card. For yourself, on the other hand, use the book, so you don't fudge on what you WANT the card to mean. But don't worry so much either. If you want it to be JUST so, it can't be as creative or as much fun.
ace

HudsonGray

Never ever EVER base important decisions strictly on what the tarot cards say, you're the one responsible for your life and if you interpret the cards wrong, you're pretty well stuck with what you get if you base your sole decision on them. Think important decisions through thoroughly, to give yourself your best options.

Trying to explain to someone "well, the cards SAID--" is as bad as saying you did what the voices in your head told you to do.... The responibility is your own on all decisions. Tarot can help be a basis for the decision, but it sure shouldn't be the only thing you consider before making your choice. Cards aren't infallible, and they may be trying to tell you something different than what you feel you're interpreting. We learn that from hindsight when looking over old readings (keep a journal). Often what's obvious 8 months down the line wasn't clear when the reading was originally done.

muteswan

Just keep with the cards, and try not to focus on these sorts of questions; imposing limitations or expecations or faith into anything before coming intimately aquainted with it is never a good idea, and especially not with tarot.

Give it no expectations, just work with it, and let it feed off of your enjoying the practice. Love the cards themselves and working with them, and it will become an extension of YOU. And then you'll have your own answers for these questions.

Sophie

muteswan said:
Give it no expectations, just work with it, and let it feed off of your enjoying the practice. Love the cards themselves and working with them, and it will become an extension of YOU. And then you'll have your own answers for these questions.
Beautifully put. Though tarot can become a practical tool (among many other things - which to my mind are more important), like all tools we must learn to use it - and we use best what we love, what becomes as familiar to us as our own hand. Ask any violinist! The "question barrage" sound a little like a violin novice asking - "when can I play Tchaïkovski's concerto and ask a few friends round to listen?" Take all the time you need. Tarot is a life-long love, once you are hooked :)

If you feel yourself going in all directions at once, not knowing the rules, then being told "there are no rules", and not knowing where to turn - take Justice out of your pack. Place her in front of you and ask her what she wants to tell you. She will help you assess yourself, better than anyone else. That's her job after all...

MercyMe

Early on in my tarot journey I noticed that when I asked the tarot the same or very similar question repeatedly in a short period of time I would get virtually the same cards cropping up in the same places over and over again. It got so I tried everything to change that by reshuffling the cards different ways, reordering the deck and reshuffling, etc. Still, lo and behold, same or similar readings emerged. Once in a while a reading I preferred that was different than the rest would pop in there, but even I couldn't hold on to that slim hope. I mean, one out of ten or twenty readings was the way I wished it would be? Which also goes to she tarot's not lying -- since tarot is about potentialities, there was probably a slim chance things could possibly go that way, it just wasn't very likely.

Some people say if you do it too many times about the same thing, tarot gives nonsensical answers. I don't agree, at least that hasn't been my experience. It's just that if I don't want to see what tarot is saying, the first throw or two, the rest tend to go over my head as well. It is *I* who is being nonsensical if not meeting the very (cliched) definition of insanity.

Tarot tends to be "right" if the reader is open to whatever the cards may say. Which means they might be saying those meanings you've jotted down or they might be saying something different (close, but a little different). The reader must be open to receiving the message the cards are putting forth.

I agree with Ace (and Marion and Hudson Gray and muteswan and Helvetica...) and recommend that you relax and try not to place unneccessary rules on your practice of tarot. Keep learning your cards, be open to their meanings, both the ones written in books as well as the ones they show you on their own (especially these), and trust that these cards are helping you unearth the treasures inside of you.

~Mercy

themuffinman

But there isn't much point in doing a reading for the sake of knowing what will happen in the future right? Because it's constantly changing?

Thanks again!

Sophie

themuffinman said:
But there isn't much point in doing a reading for the sake of knowing what will happen in the future right? Because it's constantly changing?
There's every point - if you are wise enough to hear what it's telling you - and heed it.

raeanne

themuffinman said:
Question barrage!! :p
-Last but not least! Are tarots 100% correct and should I make important decisions using them?

Hi Muffin Man,
I don't know anything that is 100% correct, even tarot. Depending on your experience, tarot can get very accurate, but I wouldn't make important decisions based on just one thing. I would ask tarot, talk to friends and family, and make a pro/con list. However, if it is a really difficult decision, and all things are coming up even, I would probably lean to the side that the tarot suggested. But that's me and may not be for everyone.