Haindl Readers Handbook-Where to get?

FraterGrant

Hello, I have just cut the borders off of my Haindl tarot, so I feel it is now ready for study (I do this with all of my decks, I feel its better to KNOW what the cards mean than to believe the key words...) and I was looking into Rachel Pollacks work "The Haindl Tarot: Readers handbook". Now, I have just called my local bookstore and of course they are unable to carry it for whatever reason.

So, what I am really asking is if this book is worth all the trouble to find. And, if you have any ideas on how to find it. I cant really order online as I dont have a credit card, but if someone would be willing to sell me their copy, I'd send them the money (or whatever you want in exchange).

Well, thats about it. Take care, and thanks in advance.

Gracey

Hi, I just saw one sold with the deck on www.amazon.com yesturday. Try a search there. :)

NightWing

Haindl Books

Pollack's book used to come as two volumes; one each on the Majors and Minors of the Haindl Tarot. If you keep your eyes open in bargain bookstores or used book stores, you will probably find them eventually. You could ask a few shops to search for you. I got mine at a used shop for about 40% of the initial price. And yes, it (or they) is/are worth having! I wouldn't want to be without them.

snowy_owl

High Price

Is there any particular reason why The Haindl Tarot: A Readers Hnadbook is going for upwards of $100 on used book sites?

I was looking to purchase this book but $100+ 203 page paperback?

Is there something I am missing?

Snowy Owl

Bat Chicken

Amazon.com has two books which are a revised and updated look at the original book that is so hard to find and they are separated into two - one on the majors and one on the minors - both available at Amazon.com for around $10USD each. As someone else pointed out on another thread that keyword searches are not always successful and ISBNs always work!:)

ISBN for the Majors: 1564145972
ISBN for the Minors: 1564145980

And yes - they are a wonderful accessory to the the deck which is sometimes very difficult to interpret, IMO. Happy studying....:)

EDIT: I just noticed that you said you don't use credit cards - I suspect if you call back the store you asked before with these ISBN numbers you may have better luck.... these are readily available.

Gardener

I really enjoy the two volume set that Pollack wrote for this deck. I've posted some excerpts from the sections on court cards here:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=34250

These two books are amazing to read - so much depth of study to the symbolism Haindl works with.

There is another book, a single volume called the Reader's Handbook, which is very different. It is more like a "how to read the cards" type of book, focusing on interpretation techniques. It's nice, but I don't think it would make sense to pay $100 for it. The two-volume set is much more scholarly and also more fun to read, like a primer on mythology and symbolism.

Bat Chicken

Gardener said:
There is another book, a single volume called the Reader's Handbook, which is very different. It is more like a "how to read the cards" type of book, focusing on interpretation techniques. It's nice, but I don't think it would make sense to pay $100 for it. The two-volume set is much more scholarly and also more fun to read, like a primer on mythology and symbolism.

Gardener - I was under the impression the two book volume was a revised version of the Handbook.... even on Rachel Pollack's site - it is unclear. I went to her site though - and it appears she herself might have a copy -

TaranRavenfrost - have a look here and contact her directly... http://www.rachelpollack.com/writing/booklistindex.html to see if you might still be able to get it for the original price! :)

Gardener

Comparative Excerpts

At the risk of being totally boring, I will give you an excerpt from the set, and an excerpt from the Handbook. The card I have chosen is the Eight of Wands.

First the Handbook:

Eight of Wands - Swiftness
Eight-Movement
Wands-Fire

The element of Fire tends toward movement, whether it be change, action or transformation. Since this is the theme of the number, the idea accelerates to Swiftness.

I Ching: 35, Chin, "Progress"
This hexagram expresses definite and positive change. For the I Ching, as for the Haindl Tarot, true progress means harmony with nature and the greater good. Progress for an individual comes when he or she fulfills the needs of society rather than just personal ambitions.

Reversed I Ching: 36, Ming I, "Darkening of the Light"
This is the hexagram found on the Seven of Swords. Anything that goes too far, too swiftly, turns into its opposite (there is more, but I'm going to stop here)

Description:
The picture here expresses the power of swift upward action, with all the Wands in dynamic harmony as they rise from a cave. It implies positive development in the person's situation. A problem may be resolved, firm action may bring change, people may communicate in a more positive way. Clarity may replace confusion, or belief take over from doubt. According to Haidl, diagonal lines that move from lower left to upper right express confidence and action.

Readings:
The card denotes movement and quick change, usually for the better. Firm action resolves problems. The card also suggests that the person is pursuing a worthy goal. Traditionally, the Eight of Wands means messages, or sometimes "arrows of love", i.e., the beginning of romance. Because of its strong positive image, we can use this card to help us focus scattered energy, or organize confused efforts toward a single goal (and there is a brief reversed section)

Now from the 2 volume set:

Eight of Wands - Swiftness
No new title
I Ching: 35 Chin, "Progress"
Reversed I Ching: 36, Ming I, "Darkening of the Light"

The title of this card implies movement, progress in different directions. Since the spears move upward, they indicate that the movement includes spiritual development. This may include a movement from confusion to clarity, weakness to strength, doubt to belief.

The hexagram for the Eight of Wands is "Progress" in both Wing and Wilhelm. This idea, too, relates to movemen, especially this image of movement upward. As a book rooted in ancient China, the I Ching sometimes includes metaphors that strike us as quaint. For Progress Wilhelm says, "The prince is honored with horses. In a single day he is granted audience three times." This implies personal progress, and recognition. It makes the card a good one to come up in readings about work or career. The modern explanation by Wing stresses that a person makes progress when he or she fulfills the needs of society. Individual ambition serves a greater purpose and so gains energy from being part of the pattern.

(there are 2 more paragraphs about the I Ching, then this)

Red, as of fire or blood, gives way to blue, the Sky. The impulse for movement comes from the fiery life energy that desires action, but that swift movement carries us to a purer level. We might recall that the Sky and the Earth are not just intellectual symbols. In ecstatic states, or even simpy in natural settings, we experience the Earth and Sky in very different ways. Rooting ourselves in the Earth (none of the Spears leave the rock) but then allowing consciousness to rise to the blue sky, gives a sense of both attachment and liberation.

The spears appear all in a straight line. When we look closer we see that this is an illusion. The card does not show an abstract principle, but an experience. The spears all move in the same direction. Swiftness comes when all energy focuses on a single goal. The movement up shows confidence. When we discussed this card Haindl told me of the symbol for the S.P.D. in the Weimar Republic (three arrows moving top right to bottom left). The downward direction gave a negative quality. The Republic fell to the aggressive energy of the Nazis (there is more of this)

The spears cross a diagonal line made by the rock. This forms eight Xs or "gift" Runes. Swiftness is a gift in life, for it can only happen when all our own efforts and the situation around us line up together, the way the spears line up.

Divinatory meanings.

In readings, the Eight of Wands indicates definite movement, often toward particular goals. It shows progress, hints at success, particularly in career issues, and suggests that the goal is a worthy one. It can indicate a person finding a direction in life, or a purpose. Meditating with this card can help to focus energy, to bring various scattered activities into line with each other. The rootedness of the spears reminds us that we should not forget basic values as we move toward our goals. In romantic situations, the card can mean the development of a new love affair - the "arrows" of love", as some call it.

There is a reversed meaning comparable to that in the Handbook.