Using only the Major Arcana?

jujubee

I have heard that the 52 playing cards are what the tarot are based on - which makes sense to me. The only majors in the playing cards are the Jokers (the Fool). I learned reading first from playing cards before I moved onto the tarot and I see the minors as extrememly important in understanding a reading. Yes, the majors are obviously "bigger" deals (or why call them majors?) but I cannot imagine a reading without them.
However, understanding and intepreting majors are hard and usually need more time studying than the minors. I can understand reading with majors only until you are comfortable. However, I personally think you should study with all the cards - it may actually help you to make sense of major arcana cards better.

tarobones

Thanks

Dear Omeada,
I am sorry if I misunderstood, but I was reacting to your statement "in short the minor are useless for me as i can have all the knowledge i need in the major." It seems you were saying the minors are useless. Perhaps the deck you use does not have scenic minors, and in that case, the majors would stand out very graphically by comparison. Anyway, I'm glad I understand your statements now. Peace........................Michael

TheOld

there's also a book i have who explain how a combinaison of 2 major make one minors
example: (from rider waite tarot)
2 of swords = moon and force
3 of swords = hermite & Lovers
4 of swords = hanged man & Papesse
8 of swords = moon & Diable
10 of swords = pendu & Maison de Dieu

4 of deniers = Empereur & Hermite
8 of deniers= batteleur & Pape

etc...
for me that make sens
Love
Omeada

arachnophobia

miss_yuko said:
I've always used the 78 cards because, the tarot doesn't have 78 cards for nothing ;)
Yuko

I agree totally with Miss Yuko's comment, "the Tarot does not have 78 cards for nothing", because of all the possible mathematical permutations and combinations possible with 78! x 77!... (factorial! Don't you love it when maths uses those little exclamation marks?). Between them they apply to every possible combination of states of mind (major arcana) and mundane situations (minor arcana) in a querent's life, not to mention rubbing up against other people (court cards)... and that seems the beauty of Tarot to me, imho ;-)) To read only with the majors, as some do, makes absolutely no sense to me at all, because then you have only "states of mind", mystically floating around in a cosmic void, totally unrelated to any real life-experience or situation, and also there seems a danger of becoming completely "ungrounded" in your real situation. Majors give depth, sure, and a lot of Majors would give a lot of depth, but it helps to know in what context the Major state of mind swirls around (e.g. a 5 of Pentacles, has the person just lost their job? or a 5 of Cups, has their partner just dumped them?), because it seems these "minor situations" that trigger the "major states of mind" anyway, i.e. does either of these lead to a Devil (incurable obsession, clinging on regardless, possible stalking-type behavior), a Chariot (we've got to get out of this place, at least temporarily) or a World (up stakes and relocate)? ;-))