Courts and cats and other beasties

tabbycat

Why did the poor old King of Pentacles get the earth worm? (hate worms! nasty creatures!) He should have something with a backbone, don't you think?
And the lung-fish for my Queen of Pentacles - sorry, won't do!
How about the mole, that gentleman in black velvet, for the KoP? Moles even have star-shaped noses. And how about the beaver for the QoP? The lodge and dam builiding fits well with the home-making qualities of the Pentacle Queen.

Jilly

mythos

tabbycat said:
Why did the poor old King of Pentacles get the earth worm? (hate worms! nasty creatures!) He should have something with a backbone, don't you think?
And the lung-fish for my Queen of Pentacles - sorry, won't do!
How about the mole, that gentleman in black velvet, for the KoP? Moles even have star-shaped noses. And how about the beaver for the QoP? The lodge and dam builiding fits well with the home-making qualities of the Pentacle Queen.

Jilly

You should see the size of the earth worms in eastern Victoria. :eek: He only got the earth worm because I was thinking (and I use the term very loosely) of earth of earth. Moles didn't come to mind because I'm an Aussie, and we don't have them :surprise:. Sounds much nicer, and far more King of Pentacles.

And yes ... the Q of P's as the lung fish is a bit yucky ... again, looking at the elements and not the figure. Lung fish definitely don't rate in the attractiveness stakes either. We don't have Beaver's here either, so they didn't come to mind, but it sounds perfect. We are a little deprived when it comes to soft and furry types, with our odd marsupial beasties, many of whom are nocturnal.

You see the wombat would make a great King of Pentacles, but he is nocturnal, and that just doesn't work. Mythos needs to expand her animal vision beyond Aussie shores.

Mind you, the echidna, which I just adore, could be the Queen of Swords ... spiky with a soft-underbelly.

Maybe the Queen of Cups could be a penguin ... we have water, and loveliness. But then the female roo ... carries her own cup - her pouch.

The Tasmanian Devil could be the Knight of Wands in a really bad mood LOL.

I guess that the possibilities are endless really.

mythos:)

tabbycat

You don't have moles? I'm surprised we didn't introduce them along with the rabbits! ;)
Just had a thought for the Queen of Swords - how about a thylacine (Tasmanian tiger)? I know that they're supposed to be extinct, but I still keep hoping they'll find some!

Jilly
an afterthought - you do know that the Greenwood Tarot has animals for the court cards, don't you? Chesca Potter chose European animals to match the theme of her deck.

mythos

tabbycat said:
You don't have moles? I'm surprised we didn't introduce them along with the rabbits! ;)
Just had a thought for the Queen of Swords - how about a thylacine (Tasmanian tiger)? I know that they're supposed to be extinct, but I still keep hoping they'll find some!

Jilly
an afterthought - you do know that the Greenwood Tarot has animals for the court cards, don't you? Chesca Potter chose European animals to match the theme of her deck.

Nope, not a mole in sight (huh humour:bugeyed:), just rabbits and foxes. Now with all that red hair, a fox among the wands has possibilities.

My Great Uncle Moffatt was supposed to have been eaten by a thylacine, and all that was left was his boot. Complete strangers ask us about it! When my Dad was in hospital, having just had by-pass surgery, the guy in the opposite bed asked. Never met the man before in his life ... weird huh? The true story? No-one knows, except that Moff went to the port of Melbourne to board a boat to Tasmania, and some of his belongings washed up on the beach at Burnie (in Tassie). No record that he even made it onto the boat.

But, thylacine's just weren't that big. They were quite elegant animals though, so I can see a Queen of Swords connection there!

I wasn't aware of the animal connection in the Greenwood.

I just suddenly had a flash of the first time I saw chipmunks. I was sitting on the rooftop of my hotel in Jaiselmer, in far west Rajasthan India waiting for the sun to rise over the 12th century Fort. As the sky lit up, all these tiny chipmunks began flitting from rooftop to rooftop. Reminds me of the Page of Wands. It was such a magic moment!

mythos:)

tabbycat

Here's a link to the Greenwood courts -
http://www.herebedragons.co.uk/chesca/cp/gt12.htm

That's an amazing story about your Great Uncle! I agree that thylacines aren't really big enough to eat people. They don't seem the sort of creatures to hunt in packs, they seem too solitary and secretive.
It's taken me quite a while to type this - I have a black keyboard and as it's a dark and grey morning over here I keep hitting the wrong keys!

Jilly

Emeraldgirl

mythos said:
Water of Fire - ? Queen of Wands
Water of Water - well any fish - Queen of Cups
Water of Air - those fish which catch flies on the water surface - Queen of Swords
Water of Earth - lung fish - Queen of Pentacles

Water of Fire - How about one of those exotic lionfish types. Appaerntly it burns like heel to get stung by one but they are so beautiful and exotic. Or a bright red Siamese fighting fish.

http://www.divegallery.com/lionfish.htm

catlin

cat lover

Well, one part why I love the Legend Arthurian deck so much are the cats depicted on each Queen card.

I also think horses very pentacle-ish but also sheep and bulls.