The tower as a strength

kislany

Hi all,

Following the discussion in my thread about 5 of pents (for my inner self), http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=48387
I wanted to know more about myself regarding spiritual learning, and whether my strength lie at all in this direction - and it seems it does.

Anyway I made this small spread (from a website) using RW

1. What is my strength (ace of wands)
2. How can I enhance it (the high priestess)
3. How can I apply it (3 of pents)
3. What new strength will it bring with it (the tower)

I am pretty ok with the rest of the cards, they all seem to point towards me learning more about spiritual (tarot, occult even), which will bring their rewards, but I'm sort of confused about the tower. I know the card represents shaking off old values in a very sudden way, which could be painful, but necessary for new ways to come forward (which I am identifying myself with, as I am going through the 5 of pents now :) ). I'd also understand if the card were as an advice, but as new strength emerging? I thought the tower is a situation, a phase in life, the sudden dark before the light, so please help me with a few keywords for it, to better understand it in this position...

Thanks...

sharpchick

kislany said:
I'm sort of confused about the tower. I know the card represents shaking off old values in a very sudden way, which could be painful, but necessary for new ways to come forward (which I am identifying myself with, as I am going through the 5 of pents now :) ). I'd also understand if the card were as an advice, but as new strength emerging?

If your values have included a healthy dose of skepticism or ridigity about value and validity of particular groups of people, situations, or even different forms of spirituality, then one of the strengths you might be in line to receive could be the strength to look old value systems in the eye, and be able to call them narrow (but possibly necessary) in your journey of life, and move on to a more mature version of you. You could also be ready to acquire the strength to help others challenge themselves in this way.

Just a thought.

nexyjo

for me, the tower always seems to indicate catastrophic change. as a taurus, i've always resisted change in my life, especially change of any major nature. yet, after close to 50 years of dealing with that, i've come to embrace change, as i've come to understand it as a defining part of life.

i've also come to know that a catastrophic change may not necessarily be a bad thing, but only a change in a large way. since you've framed your question to which the tower is the answer in the context of the type of strength it may bring, perhaps it refers to the ability to either bring change into your life, or to better deal with the change it brings.

silmarillion

firstly i dont get too concerned about the tower unless it comes up in heaps of readings and its trying to send a clear message!

a lot of books will tell you that the tower is a negative card , which it is , most of the time. it essentially deals with the deconstruction of the querents world, its morals, values, circumstances. how can anything positive come out of that? there is always light at the end of a dark tunnel. when it seems your world is falling appart, it is catastrophic.this is relative though, because when you look back on the deconstruction process and its eventual outcome..you can often see that the events needed to happen. i used to read for a girl once who was new to the area which i was living in at the time which was in spain. when she moved she thought she had made the right decision. she was unhappy at home as she has a fairly boring life. she met the husband on holiday and he only spoke spanish, which she soon learned. things turned sour. what had once been wine and roses had turned into a living hell much worse than anything she had experienced. she was basically a prisoner in her own home. he decided everything she should do and wear. he imposed his will on her at every available oppertunity. she got really depressed and felt she couldnt tell her family because they had warned her not to marry him. then i met her and the husband one night when i was doing readings on the promenade of her town. in her reading she got the tower followed by the star and 5 of coins. i told her she should look to her past for answers as to her current set of dilemmas. she was in a state of chaos where her world has been shattered and rebuilt in a manner which was not of her own making. she had taken a wrong path in life and that finding the energy to change things to what we want often just takes just a small flicker of hope in the darkness and insecurity of the night. in this case the tower was a positive card. she needed to shatter the cycle of abuse she was in by completely rejecting all the twisted morals and values this man had installed in her in order to reclaim herself before it was too late.
the reading was a real turning point for that lady. i saw her at the bus stop a few days later with a big suitcase and an even bigger smile on her face.she was going back to england to live her old life knowing that she was doing it with much joy! sometimes a frog placed in a pot of soup on a stove doesnt realize its being boiled if the heat is low and constant until its too late!(thats a horrible analogy)i find that the tower is not always a disaster that manifests as a bolt from the blue....its message can be much more subtle though just as awful but you dont realize it until somebody points it out and then you feel the impact.

i would urge you to take a good look at your life. are you happy overall? perhaps there is something you have still to do, though by doing it you might upset the applecart.........perhaps the time has come to take the risk! we often blame outside influences for our disasters without looking within. some things are out of our control, but it is within our control to mend things and move on.

noby

The Tower is almost always a positive card for me. This may have to do with my personality, but I also think it has to do with the nature of existence.

It's an old, worn cliché that "The only constant is change." Nothing in our universe is static or solid. This can be a scary reality to confront. And the thing that most of us least want to admit is not solid or real is the self. The realization "This mind is not mine; this body is not mine; this life is not mine. Nothing is 'mine,'" can be very hard to swallow. To see this is to admit the level to which we do not have control or power over what we think or how we act. So much of our thinking and responses to life are driven by effects of past conditioning which have crystallized into unconscious processes and automatic reactions. The groundless feeling of looking in the mirror and seeing nothing but a set of systems in states of constant flux is deeply disconcerting. Some Buddhist teachers refer to this feeling as "groundlessness." Like Wile E. Coyote in the cartoons, who suddenly looks down, sees he's not standing on solid ground... and falls.

We fall, and scramble, and go through pain when life threatens the structures to which we cling for our sense of identity, solidity, and stability. This reaction arises from a fundamental conflict between our desires and the nature of reality. The only way we will ever stop creating unnecessary suffering for ourselves is to learn to align ourselves with the natural rhythms of the universe. The most basic way of doing this is working to overcome the tyranny of ego and our ever-present desire for things to be other than they are. The dumb animal of ego fights to assert its solidity, to secure and arm itself, when there is no solidity, and no way to prevent the natural processes of change, decay and death. And the Tower represents a moment in which the effort we've made to secure ourselves against reality completely blows apart. Certainly, this is a painful moment. But it is also a moment of clear seeing. The Tower and the Star share an important relationship; the Star reflects what it's like after the Tower moment. The night is fresh, silent, cool, and clear. There is hope, freshness, and new inspiration. The freedom, flow, and ease of the Star card is impossible to experience without the demolishing of all of the structures of belief and habit we've built to shield ourselves against frightening or unpleasant aspects of reality.

Any time the Tower card comes up for me, especially as an outcome card, I prepare to see through some delusion or belief that has kept me trapped behind cold, restrictive stone walls for too long. And the secret is that whether or not one suffers through a Tower experience is a matter of personal choice. Look at the Star card. Usually, this star figure is naked. Totally vulnerable. Being totally naked, totally stripped of all one's defenses, totally vulnerable to the world can feel incredibly frightening. If we fear our vulnerability, if we fear being exposed, Tower experiences are going to suck for us. It's going to feel as if the universe is punishing us, when what's really happening is that we're being given the incredible gift of the chance to become free. And whether or not Tower experiences help bring us to freedom has to do with how we respond to them. If we respond to the destruction of the Tower by scrambling to cobble the pieces back together again, we're perpetuating the cycle. If we refuse to build and put on a new piece of armor to cover what was exposed, we are that much more free and open.

Certainly, it's harder to interpret the Tower in a position that signifies a trait rather than a process or event. The way I would see it is that this new strength could be the willingness to strip oneself utterly naked (spiritually, that is :D) and see all of one's old beliefs, comfortable habits, and life structures for what they are: ultimately empty of any solid reality. The strength of the Tower is the ultimate strength, the willingness to let the universe continue to flay away layer after layer. This takes guts, and there's no way around the pain and rawness of it. But the suffering is optional.

In Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism, Chogyam Trungpa says,

The problem is that we tend to seek an easy and painless answer. But this kind of solution does not apply to the spiritual path, which many of us should not have begun at all. Once we commit ourselves to the spiritual path, it is very painful and we are in for it. We have committed ourselves to the pain of exposing ourselves, of taking off our clothes, our skin, nerves, heart, brains, until we are exposed to the universe. Nothing will be left. It will be terrible, excruciating, but that is the way it is.
The spiritual path is not all rainbows and puppies and happiness and ease. To really develop spiritually takes self-discipline and the willingness to face one's deepest fears, and go through the pain of self-revelation and having all the ego's toys jerked away. This is universal. If you are currently pushing into the realm of spiritual inquiry, I would take the Tower as a new strength as a very positive sign, one that shows that you have the resilience to walk through the fires of spiritual discipline, if you so choose to do so.

mythos

I'm reminded of an old song that I used to hear as a kid on the radio:

Tower Of Strength

- Artist: Gene McDaniels as sung on "A Hundred Pounds Of Clay and Other Hits"
- EMI America Records 4XLL-9279
- peak Billboard position # 5 in 1961
- Words and Music by Burt Bacharach and Bob Hilliard

If I were a tower of strength, I'd walk away
I'd look in your eyes and here's what I'd say
"I don't want you, I don't need you, I don't love you any more"
And I'd walk out that door

You'd be down on your knees
You'd be calling to me-ee
But a tower of a-strength is a-something I'll never be

Okay ... you are looking about your developing spiritual life .... you are talking about building ... the tower is a building ... and we need to 'build' our towers. You have the uprush of magnificient powerful spiritual passionate energy of the ace, which needs to be tempered with the inner intuitive of the High Priestess if you are ever to get behind that veil.

You are working hard expanding in a grounded way ... building your new tower of spirituality (3 pents). 'Tis cool .... in order to break through to the vulnerablity of the star, and her hope, to move deeper into the world of the unconscious - moon, move into the en-light-enment of the sun, check your progress to see where you are at - Judgement, and find that point of integration - the world ... you need to build that Tower. But like in the song ... a tower of strength you'll never be, because we have emotions, feelings, and good old Poseiden - earth shaker ... will shake down our Towers after we build them, leaving us falling on our knees, in tears, with scattered illusions - a tower of strength we'll never be! BUT, we have to build that Tower first. We don't get to the end of any cycle without building that tower.... all for it to be shattered.

Before enlightenment
chopping wood, carrying water,
After enlightenment
chopping wood, carrying water.

The Tower is when we still believe that enlightenment is a place or a continuous state ... but we have to build that place ... just as Jung literally built his Tower to find that it is not so.

Like Noby ... I love the Tower ... all is change, nothing is permanent.

mythos:)

kislany

You all are just amazing, thank you for the insigt. Basically the tower is unavoidable in ones life if he/she wants to grow, which is ok. Breaking down the old and building something new afterwards. You are all my inspiration :)
Thank you.

Henning

maybe......maybe the strength it will bring to you is quite simply making those changes that you need to....maybe...

MareSaturni

noby said:
It's an old, worn cliché that "The only constant is change." Nothing in our universe is static or solid. This can be a scary reality to confront. And the thing that most of us least want to admit is not solid or real is the self. The realization "This mind is not mine; this body is not mine; this life is not mine. Nothing is 'mine,'" can be very hard to swallow. To see this is to admit the level to which we do not have control or power over what we think or how we act.

I'm sorry but i disagree greatly with this statement.

It's right that nothing is constant - all is changing, and so proves the Card "The Wheel of Fortune". Sometimes you are above, sometimes below. That's life.
But to assume that it makes us unable to control our action makes no sense. If that was real, we wouldn't be responsible for anything we do. We didn't have power over it, did we? We sometimes can't control our thoughts, but our actions we can. There is no one pointing a gun at us all the time and forcing us to do or not to do this or that. Some people choose to give their free will for other to take care off, because it's easy to not take responsibilities.

We are responsible, yes, for what we do. Even if just in a part.

The 'nothing is mine' also makes no sense for me. My body is mine, yes, my life is mine because in some level i CAN do anything i want with it. There will be consequences, of course, and even if other things interfere with it, it keeps being mine. You can't just erase the ego - for good or for bad it is there and you have to accept it.
Again, for me it sounds like someone trying to not accept his or her own responsibilities. The Tower makes us fall fast, makes us realize that things can go out of our control, that we are not queens and kings all the time. But all this happened because of our actions. Because we have free will, and we use it in a good or bad way and it returns to us.

THIS is the hardest thing to swallow: that we were the ones responsible for what is happening now. The tower is falling, you have no control over it now? But are you sure you had nothing do to with it in the past? Injustice happens, but believe me, most of cases are of people who had control of what they were doing.

Please Noby, hope you don't think of me as rude...your entire comment was interesting, i just disagree with this part.

kislany said:
3. What new strength will it bring with it (the tower)

I think this new strenght will bring you the possibility to break some barriers, to 'break the mold of convention' like the Housewives Tarot say ;)
But it also warns you to remember "What Goes Around Comes Around" so...pay attention on how you decide to use the potential the Ace of Wands offer!

Hope this helps!

~Yuko

WalesWoman

In the Tower is that bolt of lightening, knocking the top off the Tower... what your spiritual studies will do... open your mind with sudden insights, knocking any previously held misconceptions or beliefs right out of your head. So you can free yourself by breaking the barriers that held you in one place... and decide for yourself what is pure BS and build your new & improved foundation from what is right for you.