the Hermit as Motel 6

mtnmermaid

A couple of times when I've drawn this card in a reading, it has seemed to say, like the old Motel 6 slogan, we'll leave the light on for you. LOL Normally I'd see the Hermit as time to withdraw, etc. be more solitary but both of those times it seemed like the person was being called on to be a light, a teacher, wayshower, etc. for someone else. Thoughts? It was kind of startling the first time it happened.

psychicbody

I heard he is a "wayfarer" of sorts... to me, he is more of a recluse. He's like Leonardo or a "mage" up in some tower, working out ideas and inventing marvelous contraptions.

Catwomyn

I've often seen the Hermit as the one who goes before on the path, holding up his light for the rest of us to see by. He's alone but still part of the community.

autumn star

mtnmermaid said:
A couple of times when I've drawn this card in a reading, it has seemed to say, like the old Motel 6 slogan, we'll leave the light on for you. LOL Normally I'd see the Hermit as time to withdraw, etc. be more solitary but both of those times it seemed like the person was being called on to be a light, a teacher, wayshower, etc. for someone else. Thoughts? It was kind of startling the first time it happened.

The Hermit is often depicted as holding a light in the midst of dark or grey scenery. From his withdrawl, observations and isolation he has gained alot of wisdom and knowledge ... this knowledge sets him apart ... allowing him to help other people ... to be their guide/light in the dark.

Alta

I have also seen him in some readings as a teacher, guide, mentor.

Julien

But he's often depicted as holding that lamp up... I think it's a bit like the old keepers of the lighthouses -- they were isolated and alone, but their role was very important as they helped the ships find the shore. I think the Hermit is a bit like that -- he is isolated, but he does help us find our way when we're in danger of being lost (or running aground and drowning...)

Julien

Julien

PS: I've traveled a lot, but rarely stayed at a Motel 6... However, when on roadtrips I've found they're often the only ones with rooms left late in the night... So they've been my safehaven on those trips... Not a great safehaven, but at least I got some rest before traveling on the next day.

Julien

WalesWoman

When I used Radiant RW , when ever this card came up in my relationship readings, it was actually nice... because my partner refered to me as "his guiding light."

mtnmermaid

Oooh, like a lighthouse, I never thought of that. My favorite is the Tarot de Paris one http://www.tarotdeparis.com/thumbs/major/9.htm it's the little light up in the temple there, it's like even if the Hermit leaves and goes out seeking or whatever, his light is still on for anyone who needs it. Like a lighthouse. Or guiding light, I like that too. I love coming here, I always get a new angle on things. :)

psychicbody

I looked all around for a picture of The Hermit, from my Revelations Tarot deck - no luck. He also holds a cool looking pentagram lamp, which I think symbolizes self-awareness and taking action to help yourself.