The Gendron Deck: Nine of Swords

miss_apples

This card it looks like he is hiding in a cave and his enemies are attacking him (there are swords sticking in the side of the cave like they have been thrown and just happened to stick there). So Id like to take this card to mean that, well you feel like people are against you, attacking you and you just dont know what to do. You have nowhere to turn and no where to go so you just want to curl up in a ball just like the man on the picture and hope that things pass.

Definatly to me a card of feeling helpless.

What are your thoughts?

contrascarpe

Nice observation miss_apples.

I think the swords are disjointed in relation to the picture. Much like it's RWS cousin, can we interpret these swords as being real or are they a figment of the imagination.

I have to digress to my RWS roots on this one - whereas I will interpret the RWS as worry or nightmares, etc., this is pure worry (or anxiety) to me.

The archway shows me that there is an escape from this worry, but it is into the blackness of night, thus uncertainty remains. Toward the top right I see what appears to be a flower blooming between the cracks of the stone - a symbol that worry will end soon?

The only other thing that stuck out at me while looking at this card was the fact that the woman looks very much like a younger version of Carrie Fisher ...... could Melanie Gendron be a Star Wars fan? :)

All in all, this is not my favorite version of the Nine of Swords, but it does seem to have many layers to interpret.

jema

One thing that strikes me is how the woman/man (I see it as a woman) is carrying the night-sky within. Part of her sleeve has the same pattern of stars as the sky outside. She can never truly hide in that cave...

13thFaeChylde

Only one of the swords (the center one) seem to be pointing directly at the person (who looks to me like a man dressed as a woman). That could suggest that the majority of the anxieties are not real, however, there is something to be anxious about, but it's not as bad as one imagines.

The view out the archway seems to be lit with starlight...you just have to get past the swords to see it.