The Queen of Wands and Nine of Swords - a short story

Alissa

(This will have to be brief, but I wanted the exercises to begin for those who were interested).

I shuffled the cards, then drew (on intuitive instinct) the card from the top of the pile and the card from the bottom. This isn't intended to be a reading, so much as an attempt to make a story with these 2 cards.

The Queen of Wands showed up first. She speaks to me of the present. She stands in the now, caressing the skull beneath her finger tips. Her werebeast travels with her, a companion. He protects her and she is unafraid. She is beautiful, but not particularly inviting in demeanor.

They bar my way, and challenge me to go any further. I feel as if I am being stopped from progressing past her. Perhaps, as a warning?

At her feet, a griffin carved into the stone looks to the next card, the same direction the wolf faces.

The Nine of Swords shows a demon mounted on a gargoyle, his eyes are blood red like the Queen's. They came from the same realm, they are not the same, but they are. Am I of this realm, or not?

Walking beyond the Queen shows 9 swords before me separating me from the demon. His gargoyle looks as if it is expelling, or retching. The colors have gone from green mist to grey-blue darkness.

If I chose to remove one of the swords before me, I can use it as a weapon. But, is it a material tool and effective weapon against a demon? Like a test of faith, I must find the sword amongst the nine that will open my path, and aid me to face what lays beyond.

The demon may yet attack. Or, like his gargoyle, he may be content to sit and watch me pass by. How will I know unless I act?

The warning of the Queen of Wands' red eyes reminds me I travel in areas where I must adapt, or die. Or both. And I have no familiar such as she does to help me.

Perhaps we find right before us, in every moment, what we often need in order to survive. Do we have the courage to choose a sword, set karma into play, or do we stand, petrified before the demon, unable to decide?

I draw the center sword, the highest hilt, and the scene turns to mist. The test is over. I passed.

I faced adversity in the form of the Queen and her beast and chose to go beyond the barriers they created.

I faced indecision before the demon, and simply by chosing to act, I was instantly released.

Any sword of the nine would have helped, what mattered more was my willingness to keep going, and when necessary, to look at what was right before me when I needed help, find the courage and act.