Book of Law Study Group 1.6

Aeon418

Always Wondering said:
But living in a rural fundy town I guess it might at serve to quite some for a while. }) As I run from the stones. :laugh:
Well we don't want to get you lynched by a fear crazed mob of fundies. :laugh:
Try chapter 19 of the Book of Lies on for size.
THE LEOPARD AND THE DEER

The spots of the leopard are the sunlight in the
glade; pursue thou the deer stealthily at thy pleasure.

The dappling of the deer is the sunlight in the glade;
concealed from the leopard do thou feed at thy pleasure.

Resemble all that surroundeth thee; yet be Thyself
-and take thy pleasure among the living.
This is that which is written-Lurk!-in The Book
of The Law.

ravenest

Aeon418 said:
It is written from the perspective of the mission of the OTO, which is a temporal order (not magical).

The OTO is no longer a magical order .... gosh!

I knew it was an 'outer order' and not an 'inner order'. I had no idea it wasnt magical ... it used to be ... and still is in my neck of the woods. ... curious!

Aeon418

ravenest said:
The OTO is no longer a magical order .... gosh!
No longer? It never was. OTO is Thelemic Freemasonry. As such it never leaves the sphere of Malkuth. Crowley himself made it clear again and again that spiritual advancement or attainment have nothing to do with the OTO system. It was (re)designed to teach Thelema and the mysteries of incarnation, life birth and death. Eventually leading to disclosure of the secret of the 9th degree.
It shows also that you have failed to grasp the nature of the O.T.O. Its main raison d'etre, apart from social and political plans, is the teaching and use of a secret method of achieving certain results.

Magick Without Tears
The O.T.O. is a training of the Masonic type; there is no "astral" work in it at all, nor any Yoga. There is a certain amount of Qabalah, and that of great doctrinal value. But the really vital matter is the gradual progress towards disclosure of the Secret of the Ninth Degree. To use that secret to advantage involves mastery both of Yoga and of Magick; but neither is taught in the Order.

Magick Without Tears

Always Wondering

Aeon418 said:
Well we don't want to get you lynched by a fear crazed mob of fundies. :laugh:
Try chapter 19 of the Book of Lies on for size.

Yep, that's more like it for now, but not forever so. :)

AW

ravenest

Aeon418 said:
No longer? It never was. OTO is Thelemic Freemasonry. As such it never leaves the sphere of Malkuth. Crowley himself made it clear again and again that spiritual advancement or attainment have nothing to do with the OTO system. It was (re)designed to teach Thelema and the mysteries of incarnation, life birth and death. Eventually leading to disclosure of the secret of the 9th degree.

And non of THAT is magick ??? Curioser and curioser.
Your quotes are a bit one sided. Why not quote MTP ... deffinition of Magick?

Every concious act is a magical act. Spiritual advancement has nothing to do with the OTO ???

" Its main raison d'etre, apart from social and political plans, is the teaching and use of a secret method of achieving certain results.

Magick Without Tears "

And this isnt 'magick'? They purport to teach a secret tantric sexual technique ... but that isnt magick? THE EGC ceremony is a very high form of ritual magick. The initiation rituals are a form of magick ... circumnambulations, incenses, oaths etc etc all the things AC says himself are parts of magick and essentials for magick ceremonies ... but its nopt a magical order ...hmmmmmm
curiouser and curiouser ???

Aeon418

ravenest said:
And non of THAT is magick ??? Curioser and curioser.
Your quotes are a bit one sided. Why not quote MTP ... deffinition of Magick?
Because that particular definition of Magick is so wide and all-encompassing that there is nothing outside it's scope. Even physical science can fit within that definition without contradiction of any kind.

But A.C. then goes on to say this:
But there is a restricted and conventional sense in which the word may be used without straying too far from the above philosophical position. One might say:—

"Magick is the study and use of those forms of energy which are (a) subtler than the ordinary physical-mechanical types, (b) accessible only to those who are (in one sense or another) 'Initiates'."
Now, according to the MTP definition you may very well be sitting in a magical internet cafe, sipping a magical cup of coffee, reading these magical words on a magical computer. But none of that conforms to the restricted conventional sense of the term. And that is how I was using it.

Not so curious.....

ravenest

ravenest said:
They purport to teach a secret tantric sexual technique ... but that isnt magick? THE EGC ceremony is a very high form of ritual magick. The initiation rituals are a form of magick ... circumnambulations, incenses, oaths etc etc all the things AC says himself are parts of magick and essentials for magick ceremonies ... but its nopt a magical order ...hmmmmmm

What about this then?

Is there confusion between 'spiritual advancement or attainment' and magick?
I notice your Crowley quote was on spiritual advancement and you took this as a reference to explain why OTO is not a magical order.

Aeon418

But...... ?
But the really vital matter is the gradual progress towards disclosure of the Secret of the Ninth Degree. To use that secret to advantage involves mastery both of Yoga and of Magick; but neither is taught in the Order.

Beira

At first reading, I perceive this line as continuation of the previous.
We (readers) are to help Nuit by being Hadit, who is her center and is secret because each one of us is Him and we don't know which one she is referring to (uhm, maybe this is too long a shot.. pls correct me if I am wrong);
The wording here does suggest a certain intimacy, and if we see this line as referring to Tiphareth, then I get that: being Hadit is accomplished with Knowledge and Conversation of the HGA (that is "falling in love head over heels" with the Angel). I think of the Sabbath, of the many tales sexual intercourse with disincarnate entities..
The reference to the heart is easily fitting Tiphareth, in its central position in the Tree, and its meaning.
I find more difficcult to place the tongue in Tipareth. I associate it with the throat chakra, communication, Yetzirah.. Well Tiphareth belongs to the Yetzirah group when we put the Four World on the Tree..
Is that enough??... uhm.. there must be more to it, but that's what I gather on my own.
I'll get back after digging the thread and commentaries..

A line in Eshelmann's comment made me think:
If “Nu” is treated as a Latin word, it appears as a Fourth Declension noun, though admittedly atypical: Nu, Nus. “Heart of Nu” is, therefore, Cor Nus
Cornus is latin for horn: the horns are often seen as phallic symbols, for their shape and the virility of the horned animals. I think this happens in English as well with the word "horny".
This is consistent with the message of being Hadit, and is another hint to these Sabbatic intercourses that I was mentioning..
I wish this makes sense!
I found very clarifying this part of the New comment as well:
Nuith selects three centres of Her Body to become "Two" with Hadit; for she asks me to declare Her in these three. Infinite freedom, all-embracing, for physical Love; boundless continuity for Life; and the silent rhythm of the Stars for Language. These three conceptions are Her gift to us.
These are examples of what to do to "be Hadit".
As always, they look very enjoyable at first sight, but they carry a big connection with responsibility and the habit of think for oneself. This is what I like most in Thelema, that it highlights the responsibility that comes from freedom and defines us as human beings.

smw

6. Be thou Hadit, my secret centre, my heart & my tongue!

Interesting thread, though a bit tricky not coming in from the beginning of the chapter. Without reading the commentaries yet and from what has been said by posters so far, I'm thinking that it is a request to manifest Nuit through the point of Had, as Hadit on a more individual personal level to raise consciousness in each of us. I was reading elsewhere something about 'a tipping point' the (not necessarily large) number it takes to make changes occur and spread outwards like a ripple effect.

The secret centre at our personal level I might take to be the silence of our own hearts to be able to hear the communication of our HGA for this.

I fell asleep on this passage a few days ago and had a weird dream about my phone zooming off against the wall of my house and a piece breaking off. I was showing someone the damage and trying to tell them some of the the walls had a magnetic energy, that might grow stronger.