The "Nicoletta Ceccoli Tarot" - Thoth Based Deck

La Force

I am so Stoked, That it's all cool to discuss Thoth based deck in the Thoth section, so please my fellow Thoth'y friends do chime in.

Okay I had already posted in the Tarot deck section, and so that I don't have to repeat myself, I will quote my story how I came in the possession of this gorgeous deck, luv it, luv it :love: :love:

Wow I almost missed this deck, by minutes, (months actually) but today it was minutes. I was browsing online for all the new decks that come out in the last 13 months, seems I was MIA for that long. Low and behold This deck showed up in the list on chapters website. googled images, I totally dropped dead in love, stopped in my tracks, lost my footing, fell flat on my face. Completely "Swooned" for this deck.

Gorgeous, Gorgeous

I then read a few reviews about this deck. learned it wasn't good for beginners, that it was a light and dark deck, that the images were originally not for a tarot deck, but made to fit, best for just looking at, not a readable deck, unless your an experienced reader, bla bla bla.

I called my local chapters store to see if they had any in store. "Yes", 2 deck were in store. "Sweet, please put one on hold for me, I'm on my way up, to get it, be there in 1 hr ". Got there, purchased it, then checked out the tarot/new age section, noticed the other deck gone. It sold in that 1 hr. Glad I put the deck on hold for me, or it would've been gone as well, maybe.

Got home, settled the dogs, made a cup of coffee, took a deep breathe, closed my eyes, as I held the deck in my hands. Said to myself "Well lets see if what I read is to be true".

I opend the deck, removed the celiphane, the first card "Title Card", the last card " Tarosophy Invite card", Immediately, the word "Victorian" came to my head, the color "Ivory" the ornate designs for the borders, just with that alone, it transported me back in time 14th - 18th century, The feeling of elegance graciousness, and delicate, flowed through me.

I slowly went through the deck one card at a time, I had no problem with any of the cards, as to what the interpretations were, I picked up on each one without a hitch, I also didn't get any of those negative vibes with it either, I found the deck to be neutral, neither bad or good vibes. I didn't find any of the cards to be creepy.

What I noticed and laughed my heart out, with delight, is that Card VIII and Card XI, I'm not mentioning names here, can so totally be named either or. hahahaha lol XI can so be Justice, and VIII can so be strength if you so desire. This is wickedly perfect for my brain and way of seeing things in these to cards. the give away is the house of cards = strength, the jouster spearing the heart, the spade and pierced heart. XI the jouster spearing the creature = Justice, oh these 2 cards so very much the same.

the hermit, love it, what is cool about it, you know those places where there is energy that actually changes your perception, that fools you to be bigger, or smaller. sorry I don't remember what those places are called.

The death card, snow white and the seven dwarves, awesome.
The world card, North pole
2 of pentacles, Multi-tasking, so much so that your head is either going to pop off, here it does. lol love it.
4 of pentacles, oh I so love this card, princess looking down (upright), the greedy green grinch dice looking down (reversed)
7 of Wands, I busted out laughing, omgosh, I used to spank my kids when they were naughty, oh the kicking a screaming, "no mommy I will listen, I promise", this is so perfect for the 7 of wand, the defending child, and the disciplinarian of the parent ( dominant )

sorry I can go on and on with every card, there is not 1 card I don't like, I love them all, gorgeous, gorgeous.

here is to another deck, where you have your wish of loving every card in the deck.

and By the way I feel this deck is better suited for a beginner, the RWS is by far more complex, with all the symbolism in each card. This deck is more simplistic, which IMO is good for a beginner.

koodoos Nicoletta Ceccoli

La Force

Story of my New Deck adventure in next post

La Force

Adventure story cont......

From "Last edited by La Force; 1 Day Ago at 18:18." til "Last edited by La Force; 10 Hours Ago at 08:54", sorry I am not great with this server time, so for 14hrs' I guess, it was, subtract 8hrs sleep, 7 hrs approx. I was enjoying each and every card, They kept clicking in my head, meanings after meanings, non stop, I'm like okay, where are these coming from, It was like horses racing at horse track, each horse was ?, then I was like "Hey wait a min here, I'm tapping into something here, I have to look into this further",

I re read reviews on peoples blogs etc, and even watched a few youtube video's. aha ! the light, everyone, and the core of discussion in all, was all the same, they all stayed in the same house on the same block, hmmm almost like they were feeding off each others stuff. The Main thing that all of them were stuck on, was that the nicoletta Ceccoli Tarot was RWS, not one of them stepped out of the box on that. Then they all said "It doesn't follow a traditional system" in so many words, Then They all suggested " you can read it intuitively" or as "An oracle deck".

My Brain kept shouting "Something is wrong with this picture", "I am having no issues with this deck, why is everyone else?" and my Wheels turn, and turn, then I'm off to the horse races again, I have 3 horses going, who's gonna win? I said to myself I need to get down to the bottom of all these meaning flying through my head, so out came the books, I selected 5 books, each one consisted of different tarot systems.

one horse became RWS
2nd horse became Thoth
3rd horse became Marseille

The more, I scanned the meanings going off in my head and compared them to the books, Horse 2, came in first place (Thoth)

I happy to announce to everyone, that the Nicoletta Ceccoli Tarot, does have a Tarot system, and that it is Thoth based, every card matches the system. Sorry Lunaea Weatherstone, you did your best, on the LWB.

lol, I feel like Sherlock Holmes sifting through all the clues, following every lead. By the way I just purchased that deck too <roaring with laughter>

So here is my announcement

Nicoletta Ceccoli's Tarot System

Okay everyone, seems most are confused as to what the system is for this deck. Let me help you, with that. Therefore when others whom are interested in this deck will know whether they work with this system or want to explore a new system.

This Deck is Thoth Based, There you have it.

(This is why it is hard to apply RWS meanings to all the cards.)

(ETA/begin)Books you can use with this deck. Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth tarot, by Lon Milo DuQuette, and Phantasmagoria, by Ian Daniels "Tarot of Vampyres", and Tarot of the Spirit, by Pamela Eakins(ETA/End)

a second system that you can use with this deck, is the traditional Marseille.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now if you wish to use RWS system, you will need to view card VIII as Strength, and card XI as Justice. Which can be done especially with this deck. But be prepared RWS system doesn't fit all the cards.

La Force

There's my Story and I'm sticking to it

La Force

La Force

The beauty of this deck, is that there are no words on it, absolutely fantastic. So this will be extremely easy.

The Court cards, all you need to know is that the symbol ( Used in the LWB for King ) only need to be renamed in your head PRINCE

The rest of the deck is already taken care of for you, your good to go.

All my Thothy based deck friends, enjoy this Gorgeous Deck, I even think AC would approve of this deck. hehehe okay he would probably bust out laughing, but he would like it, I think.

La Force

PS: keep the LWB in your dresser drawer, you don't need it. Find a good book on thoth, or use if you have it AC Thoth LWB, as a jump off.

La Force

These are the only Thoth books I own.

The Book of Thoth (Egyptian Tarot), Aleister Crowley (The Master Therion)
Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth tarot, by Lon Milo DuQuette,
The Crowley Tarot - The handbook to the cards, by Akron.Hajo Banzhaf
The Tarot Handbook, Practical applications of ancient visual symbols, by Angeles Arrien

Books from Thoth based deck sets.
Phantasmagoria, by Ian Daniels "Tarot of Vampyres"
Tarot of the Spirit, by Pamela Eakins
The Compass guide to the Quest Tarot (This book is good for the minor arcana and other stuff), I am still reviewing if it is worthy or not.

Does anyone else know of a good Thoth book, that would also work great with this deck?

Do you have any Thothy insights or thoughts you wish to share about this deck or any of the cards, please do so.

SashaCY

This is wonderful news for me, since I am in love with the nicolleta tarot, I feel so attracted to it's art... (It isnext on my list) but also want the toth tarot (to learn the system) but I am not a fan of the art (maybe if I trimmed the cards... But not a fan) so this would allow me to have both worlds together... The nicolleta and the system of the toth tarot. Thank you!

prudence

Hi Sasha,

I have the Ceccoli deck and the Thoth. When it was first brought up about the Ceccoli being Thoth based, I tried very hard to see the Thothiness and to be honest, I cannot see it at all.

I think the Ceccoli deck is best read using its imagery and allowing it to speak in its own voice, the LWB that comes with it is not half bad. I would not recommend trying to learn the Thoth system using this deck. There are other decks that are indeed Thoth based that would work much better in helping one to understand the Thoth system, if you find the art in the Thoth deck unappealing.

SashaCY

Hi Sasha,

I have the Ceccoli deck and the Thoth. When it was first brought up about the Ceccoli being Thoth based, I tried very hard to see the Thothiness and to be honest, I cannot see it at all.

I think the Ceccoli deck is best read using its imagery and allowing it to speak in its own voice, the LWB that comes with it is not half bad. I would not recommend trying to learn the Thoth system using this deck. There are other decks that are indeed Thoth based that would work much better in helping one to understand the Thoth system, if you find the art in the Thoth deck unappealing.
Thank you very much Prudence.
What decks would you recommend? I will get the ceccoli eventually as well because the imaginary seems fantastic for dealing with the subconscious and dream stuff... But wish to learn about the toth methodology as well

Zephyros

What I find ironic about the Tabula Mundi (of which I am currently in the process of writing a review about) is that it is in many way more advanced than the Thoth itself. It deliberately strives to avoid "Thoth clichés" and has the artist's own unique viewpoint. It isn't supported by supplementary resources and so isn't one I would recommend to a raw beginner.

There's nothing like the original Thoth. Some would even go so far as to say there's no such thing as a "Thoth-type" deck, there being only one. I disagree with that viewpoint somewhat, but if you're just starting out then the original deck plus Lon Milo Duquette's book about it is really the best way to begin.

As for this specific deck, the Nicoletta Ceccoli, I never thought it was a Thoth deck either, but I allowed the case for it to be made and to let the community decide. I'm still not convinced, and the deck, as it stands, is not officially a Thoth deck. Discussion supporting its "Thothiness" is allowed in this thread but until its pedigree is settled, that's about all there can be.

Le Fanu

I've never managed to love a Thoth-based deck more than the Thoth. Some are interesting. I am drawn to a number of them - the Liber T, the Via and the Magickal - but it's the Thoth I go back to again and again. I think only the Magickal has held my attention across the years, but not overtaken the Thoth.

I understand the case for fitting the Ceccolli into this framework, but at the end of the day I really can't see it. Plus the artwork was created before the tarot deck so the artist herself would have to be Thoth-obsessed in her artwork which LoS then snipped up in all the right places.

No, I take the Ceccolli on its own terms. And I love it for that. The deck is superb. For me, it is the best LoS deck in years. What I love about it is not having to fit it into any kind of scheme or system.

ETA; Zephyros - is that you closrapexa?