Ace of Disks

spookyboo22

Hi

Would I be right in thinking that Crowley said the Ace of Disks was the most important card in the deck?

I think I remember reading it was his favourite card too.

Can someone tell me why he thought this?

Other tarot experts say it's only an Ace and therefore a weak card so what's the deal here?

Why did he give it such power?

Thank you Thoth fans x

Barleywine

Hi

Would I be right in thinking that Crowley said the Ace of Disks was the most important card in the deck?

Other tarot experts say it's only an Ace and therefore a weak card so what's the deal here?

Thank you Thoth fans x

Probably because of its potency as the root of the "whirling force" that permeates the plane of Earth, and Earthly power is where "the rubber meets the road" in terms of "causing change to occur in conformity with will." This concept is likely behind the depiction of male genitalia on this card.

The Aces are by no means weak, they just manifest no active expression of the elemetal force they originate; they show purely potential rather than kinetic energy. In number-theory terms, they represent the point; there is no directed motion until the line appears with the Twos.

He considered the central symbol of the Ace of Disks to be his personal "Hieroglyph" as "the prince-priest the Beast," the "chosen priest and prophet of infinite space." The man had no reticence about exalted, euphoric-sounding bombast.

spookyboo22

Probably because of its potency as the root of the "whirling force" that permeates the plane of Earth, and Earthly power is where "the rubber meets the road" in terms of "causing change to occur in conformity with will." This concept is likely behind the depiction of male genitalia on this card.

The Aces are by no means weak, they just manifest no active expression of the elemetal force they originate; they show purely potential rather than kinetic energy. In number-theory terms, they represent the point; there is no directed motion until the line appears with the Twos.

He considered the central symbol of the Ace of Disks to be his personal "Hieroglyph" as "the prince-priest the Beast," the "chosen priest and prophet of infinite space." The man had no reticence about exalted, euphoric-sounding bombast.

Thanks Barleywine

Maybe it's my thinking, but if the Ace manifests no tangible expression in the physical world then how is it a strong card?
I ask because I get this card often as a final outcome card in my own readings when I read for myself and I am hungry to gain knowledge.
Do you mean the force of your own will is enough to bring a result in the physical realm with this card?

Barleywine

Thanks Barleywine

Maybe it's my thinking, but if the Ace manifests no tangible expression in the physical world then how is it a strong card?
I ask because I get this card often as a final outcome card in my own readings when I read for myself and I am hungry to gain knowledge.
Do you mean the force of your own will is enough to bring a result in the physical realm with this card?

I see it more like a "stage-setter" or inspiration for the first outward step along the path toward realization of whatever the particular element promises. Like the "primordail stew" that theoritically birthed all life on Earth (you can probably gather I'm not a "creationist"), it's the raw material that the rest of the suit builds its edifice from. It's strong (and pure) in essence because of what it heralds for the future, even if it hasn't yet taken a "set" in manifest reality.

As an outcome card, it tells me you're well-situated for doing something constructive, but it's silent about what that might be. This can be a good thing because it doesn't "tie your hands" with any particular focus, and a bad thing because it might promote just "sitting on your hands." You could follow the old method of taking the Ace of Disks as the significator for a new spread and ask what it specifically portends.

spookyboo22

I see it more like a "stage-setter" or inspiration for the first outward step along the path toward realization of whatever the particular element promises. Like the "primordail stew" that theoritically birthed all life on Earth (you can probably gather I'm not a "creationist"), it's the raw material that the rest of the suit builds its edifice from. It's strong (and pure) in essence because of what it heralds for the future, even if it hasn't yet taken a "set" in manifest reality.

As an outcome card, it tells me you're well-situated for doing something constructive, but it's silent about what that might be. This can be a good thing because it doesn't "tie your hands" with any particular focus, and a bad thing because it might promote just "sitting on your hands." You could follow the old method of taking the Ace of Disks as the significator for a new spread and ask what it specifically portends.

I have never used a significator before Barleywine, or pulled clarifier cards which i think are a similar scenario if I were to use the Ace as a significator for a new spread.
Could you recommend me a good spread to use in my case?
I think you have a good idea here because I want practical help from my readings in order to make my life better. Primordial Stew just leaves me feeling frustrated and not clear on my next move on whatever I've asked the tarot about

Thank you x

Barleywine

I have never used a significator before Barleywine, or pulled clarifier cards which i think are a similar scenario if I were to use the Ace as a significator for a new spread.
Could you recommend me a good spread to use in my case?
I think you have a good idea here because I want practical help from my readings in order to make my life better. Primordial Stew just leaves me feeling frustrated and not clear on my next move on whatever I've asked the tarot about

Thank you x

Here's a simple "action-oriented" spread I created that uses a significator card. It doesn't provide "information overload" but still offers a variety of ways to view interactions between the significator and surrounding circumstances.

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=255684

ravenest

Hi

Thank you Thoth fans x

I can see a reasoning behind it . The ace is the potential for , or 'holds the potentialities of', the whole suit - it isnt weak ... it is 'subtle and undefined' , but not weak.

The suit (discs) represents Earth and also the 'material plane ' 'manifest existence ', 'hard stuff' <knocks on the table> . Also, Earth is a product or outcome of the other 3 suits, so in a way, encompasses all of them .

In a similar way we could say the Fool is the most important card, as , in the same way, it contains all the other trumps or 'holds in itself the potential to manifest' the other Trumps.

The Earth plane , material existence, is very important in Thelemic Philosophy as , if 'Existence is pure joy' and the material is the spiritual and earth is heaven .... here we are !

In that interesting 'field of correspondence' ; 'The Magical Weapons', the four elemental (and essential ) weapons are the the wand, the cup, the dagger and the disk. I have had different versions of them all over the years. The one that stayed around the most in one form was the Disk, it took a bit to realize, but one day it 'dawned on me' , of course ! My Tarot deck is my Magical weapon; the disc !

And when we put all the above together we have the Ace of Discs as 'the disc' that is my magical 'earth' weapon, the 'symbol of' the whole deck .

So, although I may not call it the most important card in the deck, I think it is the card that most 'represents' the deck ..... in it 'all' is manifest.

{ Aside - martially , it fits better with the shield . I adapt the same principles to my martial arts weapons training - not in a' literal manner ' magically - I dont hurl spells at people with my 'wand' when attacked by a sword :D - but certain principles cross over nicely .... after all .... the work of the Jo and the work of the Bokken .... I mean, the work of the wand and the work of the sword, these he shall learn and teach . ;) }

Richard

......Other tarot experts say it's only an Ace and therefore a weak card so what's the deal here?.....

What's the deal with these "experts"? Each Ace represents the potential of its entire suit, which can become manifest instantly via the lightning bolt of creation.

Zephyros

Moderator Note:

A number of posts dealing with the Tree of Life have been moved to their own dedicated thread so as not to be constricted by the topic of this thread. The new thread can be found here.

Zephyros