The Art of Kipper Card Reading (Book)

Astraea

A couple of days ago, I received my copy of Alexandre Musruck's book, The Art of Kipper Card Reading: a Guide to Decode the Kipper Cards. Musruck is a cartomancer and clairvoyant based on the island of Reunion. He is a prolific card designer, and the author of a guide to Lenormand. The Lenormand book is available at Amazon, and this Kipper guide will be listed there in several weeks (according to the author, per email). I ordered mine through Lulu. You can also order Musruck's books through his website, www.angelcartomancy.com, and his Etsy shop.

To me, this book is well worth its nearly $30 pricetag. It has detailed descriptions of the cards, alone and in combination, and his chapter on directionality (to the left, to the right, above and below the significator) is very helpful - particularly in view of the fact that Kipper cards are more governed by directionality than Lenormand. He describes the people cards quite well, both descriptively and in terms of function. And he gives numerous examples of readings and spreads, with detailed practical instruction on using directionality in consultations. He includes a very useful tabulation of correspondences between Kipper and Lenormand cards.

The book is self-published and appears to be self-edited, but its grammatical and syntactical idiosyncrasies are not distracting. I am very glad to have purchased it. I contacted Mr. Musruck by email to query him about Amazon availability, and found him to be a very helpful and friendly correspondent.

Padma

This is awesome to know, Astraea! Thanks so much - I have *got* to order this! It was really nice of you to order and to share the low-down on the book! :love:

Astraea

Glad it helped you to decide, Padma! :)

Barleywine

I'm just about to jump into Kipper, so this one is going on my wish-list. Its grammatical idiosyncrasies can't be any more annoying than the minor ones in Camelia Elias' Marseille book, which seemed like translation weaknesses.

Padma

Glad it helped you to decide, Padma! :)

It did - I was hesitant due to the price tag, and about someone else's complaints in regard to the language barrier obvious in the book. But I think it is worth its weight in gold, if he is able to pick up where Malkiel left off when he ditched his youtube videos! :p I will order it from Lulu, if they ship to Canada. Information in English on these cards - and I mean good, solid, meaty information - is very hard to come by.

The Happy Squirrel

Thank you Astraea!!! I have been logging in obsessively waiting for you to share your thoughts on this book :)

As for language barriers, I found awkward English to be less awkward than the tendencies to tarotize everything in some cartomancy books written by those who are obviously very well versed in tarot.

This is definitely on my list :)

Yay :)

Astraea

It did - I was hesitant due to the price tag, and about someone else's complaints in regard to the language barrier obvious in the book. But I think it is worth its weight in gold, if he is able to pick up where Malkiel left off when he ditched his youtube videos! :p I will order it from Lulu, if they ship to Canada. Information in English on these cards - and I mean good, solid, meaty information - is very hard to come by.
i googled it, and it looks like Lulu does ship to Canada - their website doesn't state particulars about shipping (unless I missed it), but once you place your order a page appears with shipping options.

IMO, Musruck's Lenormand book is not as helpful as this one on the Kipper - it might have been, if Rana hadn't come out with her wonderful book first. As you say, there's so little solid material on Kipper cards available in English, and that in itself recommends Musruck's guide - and personally, I think it would be worth the purchase price even if that were not the case. The book is nearly 350 pages long, and it's not padded with fluff. He speaks as one with genuine knowledge of how Kipper cards work.

Padma

Thanks for taking the trouble to google that for me, Astraea! :heart:

The more you describe the book, the more I think it is a great investment, haha! ;) Going off to order it now.

Astraea

I'm just about to jump into Kipper, so this one is going on my wish-list. Its grammatical idiosyncrasies can't be any more annoying than the minor ones in Camelia Elias' Marseille book, which seemed like translation weaknesses.
I don't find Musruck's grammatical idiosyncrasies annoying at all - in fact, I think they are charming and it's not hard to understand the points he's making. It's more like dropped s's on plural forms, occasional errors in verb tenses, and so on. The book is very clear and easy to follow, especially since it is well illustrated with charts and example readings.

Astraea

Thank you Astraea!!! I have been logging in obsessively waiting for you to share your thoughts on this book :)

As for language barriers, I found awkward English to be less awkward than the tendencies to tarotize everything in some cartomancy books written by those who are obviously very well versed in tarot.

This is definitely on my list :)

Yay :)
Agreed, tarotizing is much more annoying to me, as well. He does none of that.