Desi Tarot ( A Indian Tarot Deck)

NamasteIndia

Hello friends,

I am creating a Indian Tarot Deck.
India is such a vibrant country with rich culture, tradition, diversity. Yoga, ayurveda, sanskrit, vedas, ethnicity, 28 states, 347 different spoken languages.

India is also home to wonderful folk tales, jataka tales, Upanishad, Mahabharat, Ramayana, Mantra, Tantra, chakra, bharatnatyam, shastriya sangeet and many more.

I have titled my deck as 'DESI TAROT' desi means(from the country). I have started painting the deck and 4-5 cards are almost over. The art work is Oil on Canvas and later on it will be edited on photoshop with proper borders and names.

Each major will be a character from Indian mythology someone who will be instantly recognisable. Each major deck will have the characters name and also the Major cards name as per conventional tarot.

The deck will be very vibrant, colourful and it will have a Indian touch.

NamasteIndia

Brief description of some cards.
Empress - Yashoda
Empress - In Indian Tarot the Empress in this deck is 'YASHODA'. Yashoda is Lord Krishna's surrogate mother. She was beautiful, talented, artistic and she was the ultimate mother any person could have.
All though she had her own son Balaram yet she willingly took care of Lord Krishna as her own biological son and nourished, cared for him. She was blessed to be the mother of Incarnated Lord Narayana as Krishna.

Lovers - Ardhnareshwar
In India the concept of ‘Ardhnarishwar’ is a beautiful balanced concept of half female and half male. This means that every human being has both the traits of being half female and male and that is the ideal to be followed. An extreme condition on the scale of femininity and masculinity would lead to an imbalanced personality. In other words both men and women would help to be a good balance of both the traits. Lord Shiva and his better half Goddess Parvati is depicted as the Lovers.

Justice - Chitragupta
In Hindu Mythology there is believe in reincarnation. Its believed Lord Chitragupt is to create log of the lives of all living beings, judge their lives based on good-deeds and misdoing, and decide, upon ones death, whether they will attain Nirvana means the completion of their life cycle & redemption from all worldly troubles or, receive punishment for their misdoing in another life form. This card depicts Lord Chitragupta holding a weighing scale he is dressed as a Kathakali Dancer a ancient dance form of Kerala.

jcwirish

I love your card. I am very much looking forward to seeing more.

Susanne Röttges

wonderful cards please show us more soon!!

NamasteIndia

Half the images from the major arcana of Desi Tarot Deck is completed.
Please check the link and let me know the flaws or frills of this deck.

MoonGypsy

Namaste,
i am so thrilled to see how wonderfully your deck is coming! :thumbsup: India is a country i have a very close karmic relationship with. i have been attracted to the Indian Culture most of my life.
i spent a considerable amount of time there in 1984.
So, i am very happy that you are creating this colorful deck. An East Indian deck would HAVE to be very colorful, as the people certainly are! Ancient and so very Bright...My precious India!

Namaskar,
MoonGypsyxxx

NamasteIndia

Hello Moongypsy,

Thank you for your comments.

Yes you are right India is really really vibrant and colourful.

For now i will complete the Major arcana and if time permits i will complete the deck with 78 cards the minors would be RW themed.

Namaste

misfitknits

ugh!!!

i really wanted to see the cards you have done so far, but i can't see the pictures on my computer! grrr....

on a more positive note- i, also, have felt an almost life-long pull to india. i don't know what it is, i've never explored it. but i will say i will be most excited to see this tarot deck come to completion! i have been looking for an indian-themed deck for quite a while!

mimiraj

Sigh, I also went to the web site and could not see any of the pictures :(

NamasteIndia

mimiraj said:
Sigh, I also went to the web site and could not see any of the pictures :(
SORRY FRIENDS THERE AS BEEN SOME UPLOADING PROBLEMS.:rolleyes:

BUT THE MAJOR ARCANA AS BEEN COMPLETED AND WITHIN NEXT 24 HRS I WILL SEE TO IT THAT THE SITE IS UPLOADED.

WELL YOU MAYBE ALSO AWARE THAT 'DESI TAROT' IS A FEATURED DECK IN TAROT LOVERS' CALENDAR 2011. THATS THE CALENDAR CREATED BY MAJOR TOM.:cool5:

THE DETAILS ABOUT CALENDAR ARE PUT UP HERE...
http://www.majortom.biz/calendar.htm

PLEASE CHECK BACK MY WEBSITE AFTER COUPLE OF HOURS AND LET ME UR OPINION ABOUT THE ARTWORK.:D:D