The Tarot of the Golden Serpent (split from Tarot Decks thread)

FaireMaiden

Well... he certainly knows his alchemy. Very nice, *vbs*

stalkinghyena

Thanks to all

Hello everyone here, and thank you for all your comments and compliments. Special thanks to Ash for showing my work off here. You are a wonderful artist, and it is always a pleasure to see your work.
I saw some questions in the thread regarding the work, and I thought I would address them.
The 'Tarot of the Golden Serpent' is a working title, reflecting a common thread each card. My goal has always been personal mediation, via art, but I am glad to see the interest this has spawned. The series is a work in progress, but I fully intend to do every image of the Tarot. The Major Arcana are 18x24, but the Court Cards and Minor cards will likely be smaller paintings, due to cost and the sheer volume of work.
Right now I am focused on The Emporer, and trying to figure out why some of the oil paints I use refuse to dry. I am working in order on the major cards, though I am tempted to start on the Aces soon - the lesser cards should go alot quicker. We'll see what time permits. I've also wanted to write essays on the images, but I'm no authority on anything esoteric, just someone who loves the ideas and inspirations I get from working with the subject(s).
Again, thank you all here for your interest. I promise I will finish the work as soon as I can, and see where it goes from there.

MaryElTarotFan

This is a VERY interesting deck. I love its aesthetics which meshes well with the alchemic symbolism. I like the colors used in this deck and the artwork so far. Eagerly awaiting more images from this impressive work in progress

sacredashes

Welcome to the forum :) glad to see you here!

I've seen The Empress card and she is beautiful. There is a very dignified energy coming from your images. Its what captivated me... Even The Fool looks so dignified.

I'm definately looking forward to more of your tarot artwork and you're most welcome. Its almost a shame not to feature your work here. I think you'll find a lot of appreciation for it in this forum.

:heart:
Ash

stalkinghyena

Thanks again.:heart:
It took me a moment to think about it, but 'dignified' is a good expression. So far I am still working in the Supernal realm, so it all might change the closer to The Universe. We'll see when I get to The Devil. ;)

Curtis Penfold

AJ said:
Thothy in an interesting way
I thought the same thing. Man, these images are EPIC. I don't understand them all, but it seems like every part of every image has some significance. Am I right in assuming that?

Like, is the Fool teetering between Seth and Horus? Is there some significance in that? Is it because the Fool is trying to find out the difference between good and evil?

The card that reminded me the most of the Thoth deck was the Empress. I thought it looked like Lust meets the Universe. Kind of sexual, like the Universe, as if the snake is the reason she's pregnant. There's a lot of motherly symbols there. But for some reason, she's chained to Taurus. Is it because she's trapped in...motherhood?

The theme of a golden snake is good. I mean, the snake symbol has so many interpretations in all these different cultures. Rejuvenation, resurrection, eternal life, wisdom, temptation, sin, bringer of light, male energies, female energies, combined energies. It's a great symbol that can be applied to any card if used appropriately.

I don't know. I would like to see your explanations on these cards. There's a lot there! I am digging this deck, and I'm hoping to see you finish it.

Sinduction

I am in love with the HP! It is rather Thothy and I hope there will be some writings on what the images are and why you put them there. I do hope you finish and find a publisher. I would also buy this deck. Even as a majors only deck.

The Guided Hermit

Beautiful work. It projects out very well. I'd certainly split open the leather for a deck.

stalkinghyena

Curtis Penfold said:
I thought the same thing. Man, these images are EPIC. I don't understand them all, but it seems like every part of every image has some significance. Am I right in assuming that?

First off, thank you. Secondly, you are correct in your assumption. I've tried my best to make every detail symbolically significant.

Curtis Penfold said:
Like, is the Fool teetering between Seth and Horus? Is there some significance in that? Is it because the Fool is trying to find out the difference between good and evil?

The figure that resembles Seth is in fact Anubis. I took inspiration from a Gnostic amulet I found in Budges 'Amulets and Talismans'. The amulet depicts Harpocrates ridiing in a boat with the heads of Horus and Anubis at either end. Seth could be alluded to by the crocodile, via association with Apophis.

Curtis Penfold said:
The card that reminded me the most of the Thoth deck was the Empress. I thought it looked like Lust meets the Universe. Kind of sexual, like the Universe, as if the snake is the reason she's pregnant. There's a lot of motherly symbols there. But for some reason, she's chained to Taurus. Is it because she's trapped in...motherhood?

Here I must admit that Crowley has had a lot of influence on me. I have used the Thoth deck for many years, and so I am sure it is seared into my subconscious. I also tend to agree with a lot of the symbolism, though there are points where there is too much Thelema (for example, the Lust card) - one of the reasons I am making my own series.
As far as The Empress goes, this is the case where I agree with the Thoth deck insofar as she is pregnant. I wanted to emphasize the nature of Venus (ruling Taurus), but also express reproduction as a universal principle. She is chained to Taurus as an expression of materialization - energy becoming form. There is also a reference to the myth of Europa.

Curtis Penfold said:
The theme of a golden snake is good. I mean, the snake symbol has so many interpretations in all these different cultures. Rejuvenation, resurrection, eternal life, wisdom, temptation, sin, bringer of light, male energies, female energies, combined energies. It's a great symbol that can be applied to any card if used appropriately.

Aptly said. Don't forget the kunalini. I've been trying to rely solely on Western symbology, but the East creeps in - usually because of shared significance. The serpent is ubiquitous, and I plan to have it running through the whole series, even the minor cards.

Curtis Penfold said:
I don't know. I would like to see your explanations on these cards. There's a lot there! I am digging this deck, and I'm hoping to see you finish it.

I'm working on explanatory essays, but these might take longer than the deck. I'm pretty overloaded right now, but maybe some day...:)