what do you want to know

Hexi

I am working on a tarot radio show that will deal with tarot deck creation. It is two hours long, and I would like to fill it with questions and answers that people really want to know. Materials and size of the originals, how to keep on going through 78 images, how to photograph your images, self publishing, how to find a publisher, what that all entails. Distribution, promotion, spin offs... Let me know and I will try to address as much as I can. It will be a call in program not sure of the date yet. Let me know what you would like discussed.
Cheers
Hexi,
Pearls of Wisdom Tarot.

Golden Moon

I would like to know, how long does it take for a tarot deck to be printed an published. Also, how long does it take to create 78 cards in regards from sketching, drawing to color them. And also, How does the whole publishing deal work? signing a contract, a certain percentage that needs to be earned and given.

Hexi

ok I will add those questions into my outline, Thanks. One thing I will say, is that there are 78 images, if you give each one a month, it comes out to around 7 years.

Golden Moon

Hexi said:
... One thing I will say, is that there are 78 images, if you give each one a month, it comes out to around 7 years.
:O What? Oh my.... Do tell me that that applies to drawing them by hand and/or how much experiences the artist has, right? Unlike as if it's drawn by computer or digital form.

cirom

There is no meaningful answer to how long a deck takes to produce. References of how many years are too nebulous. If your investment in time is limited to fitting in occasional hours in the evening after work and weekends - and that will certainly be the case for most people - then the overall passing of time can obviously become extremely lengthy. By that criterea you should at least try to limit the reference to the number of hours each card would take. Then extrapolate that "guesstimate" by the number of hours per day, week etc your schedule and commitment would permit.

Then of course it depends on the individual, some people simply work faster, it depends on the style and theme. Historical themes for example might require a lot of time in researching and finding reference material, costumes and the like, before the sketching can even begin.

Golden Moon said:
:O What? Oh my.... Do tell me that that applies to drawing them by hand and/or how much experiences the artist has, right? Unlike as if it's drawn by computer or digital form.

I do hope you take the opportunity during your radio show, to clarify the above comment which is representative of a common misunderstanding, often raised here on Aeclectic, regarding digital art, even if that is not your particular medium of choice. Many people simply dismiss such decks because quite frankly they are unclear of what the process is and apparently many others assume its somehow easier, faster, not "real art" They are welcome to that opinion of course, but in the context of this thread its misleading. Digital art like any other is one thats produced using a tool, just like pen on paper, oil on canvas, ......stylus on tablet. And as with those other mediums there are so many styles within each category. Not all digital decks are photomontages or 3D modeling, and all can vary from extreme detail and realism, to the most obscure abstract form. Its the latter "style" and technique not the medium that determines the number of hours and as such the answer to how long a deck takes will be as individual as each person behind its creation.

I used to frequent these forums far more in the past and was constantly amazed (and a little envious) as to how quickly some people were creating their decks, new cards seemed to be uploaded for comment almost daily. While other projects do indeed seem to have extended for many years. In my case for what its worth, I would estimate approximately 18 months for each deck, (but of almost full time commitment).

I think one service you could provide is to also point out the reality of these projects. Certainly it would be helpful for some people to be familiar with issues such as contractual terms and conditions, their rights, royalty percentages and payments etc, but in doing so also point out that for the vast majority that won't be an issue since the chances of their decks being accepted by a major publisher is extremely low. Anyone embarking on such a project should do so with the expectation that it probably won't be published by any major company, and that even if they choose to self publish, that the number of sales may not be significant either. Sometimes I fear that the glowing appraisals and feedback received on forums such as these can give a false impression as to the potential of actual sales. For the vast majority of potential deck creators, the expression "a labor of love" cannot be understated.

I don't wish to appear too cynical and put people off. But to recommend that people go into such a investment of their time no matter how long that may prove to be, with eyes wide open.

gregory

I'd agree with cirom here. I have been working on a (private) deck of my own for three YEARS now; and am not even half way. It's photo collage, on computer, so going by Golden Moon's remark, I should have been finished ages ago... :( Whereas there are also physical painting artists like Chronata and jackdaw* who set themselves deliberate time limits of - I forget Jackdaw*'s just now, but Chronata's Minute deck was exactly that - a minute per card.

It can often take way longer when you can't hold a pen or brush EXACTLY where you wanted it.... And when you get to the levels of complexity of images in Cirom's decks - words fail me.

The principle of "this is not the work of a moment" is one thing for discussion, yes, but to suggest a time frame or any kind of average would be counter-productive, I think.

Interesting to talk about illustrated vs non illustrated pip cards - do some creators do it JUST to save themselves effort ? I know many do it specifically to follow the Marseille tradition, but....

How to choose your medium would be a good topic.

And if you are following a tradition - how do you decide which, and how slavishly (to use the only word I can think of) do you follow it ? Some seem to try to ape Colman's poses precisely; others try to get the meaning ascribed across in whatever way they choose.

And how you choose symbols.

And yes, how to deal with publishers and printers is an interesting issue. What are the perils and advantages of going self-published ? and the sad fact that it is highly unlikely you can give up your day job any time soon :D It really ISN'T likely that anyone will land a USG contract and sell millions (not that USG DOES sell that many, contrary to popular belief !)

And - this does interest me) as you have more and more decks under your belt - do you get faster or slower in the creation process ? Do you find the meanings you use become so ingrained that you can bang cards out fast - as Cirom describes, and I do agree that some do seem to come very fast. (Then again, I will sometimes have a few cards gelling in my head for months and then do them all on one day, having decided exactly what I wanted, so maybe that accounts for part of it.)

Do the cards get worked out precisely in your head before you start one, or do they grow as you create each of them ?

cirom

gregory said:
And - this does interest me) as you have more and more decks under your belt - do you get faster or slower in the creation process ? Do you find the meanings you use become so ingrained that you can bang cards out fast - as Cirom describes, and I do agree that some do seem to come very fast.

In my case slower.
The more you learn about Tarot you more you realize you don't know. So while you may become more proficient in your technique, and that could translate into speed. It might equally be used in other ways i.e. more detail and DEPTH. So in fact the process becomes lengthier.

Unlike a paid commission for a client, where time is a factor either by payment or deadline. With personal projects and this certainly includes tarot decks, the issue of "speed" has no role in my approach.

gregory

cirom said:
In my case slower.
The more you learn about Tarot you more you realize you don't know. So while you may become more proficient in your technique, and that could translate into speed. It might equally be used in other ways i.e. more detail and DEPTH. So in fact the process becomes lengthier.

Unlike a paid commission for a client, where time is a factor either by payment or deadline. With personal projects and this certainly includes tarot decks, the issue of "speed" has no role in my approach.
Thanks cirom - that is rather what I thought in your case !

Though it wasn't so much an issue of speed as such I thought worth putting in the programme, but whether, once an artist has sort of got their personal ball rolling, they find it comes faster in and of itself. (I could have answered that myself actually - when I think how much more slowly my own cards go as time goes on - and that's just between one card and the next :( :D)

Deadlines - that is a nasty one. I wonder how many decks are out there that are of a far lower standard than they would have been without a deadline set externally.

Hexi

thanks

Thanks for the feedback, I have no issues with digital art, I know how much time, and skill goes into those decks. Yes even being published does not mean $$ A labour of love it must be first. Why would you even want to do spend the time doing it in the first place should be your first question? Time depends on how fast you work, the size and media of the work, etc. How much time you have to work on it etc. Then there is all the time in promotion etc.

I will consider all of these comments and whatever else comes in for the show. Thanks again for your feedback please continue to add more. Cheers Hexi

HudsonGray

The media definately plays a part. And in some cases, the 'living of the card'. I know someone who was working in pen and ink on a viking rune deck. Each card she was focused on was bringing those same 'problems and events' into her life. By the 6th rune she had slowed down considerably. Most of the deck is done, but she's still got a few left to go.

I'd want to know a bit more about how the deck gets advertised/promoted in today's modern world. Just sending out the catalog to New Age stores and bookstores is old hat. What do the publishers DO to get the new decks noticed. Or is all the advertising being done through public forums and networking blogs by people interested in tarot but who had no part in the publishing side of it?

What are the # of deck releases per tarot publisher and why are they limited to that number. What is their backlog (future decks they've bought the rights to but have 'in the wings' so to speak, for release at a future date)?

(BTW-this is going to be far more than 2 hours of air time if you do it right).