Waning or Waxing...Help!

PAMUYA

On the Two of Swords..is the moon waning or waxing...just after midnight or sunset? What would it symbolize?

Alta

Assuming its daylight, and I think you have to as the bright rim of the moon faces the sun, then the moon is waxing.

PAMUYA

Can a waxing moon symbolize a new beginning? and it's sunset?

strangebrew

Hello

The waxing moon (from new to full) is a time to practise magick or spells for new beginnings....i always use the phrase new moon...new start....

Hope this helps!

PAMUYA

Yes, thank you!! There is so much out there, not sure what to take for tarot use..

rcb30872

I actually had to look it up, to see a diagram, lol.
http://www.moonconnection.com/moon_phases.phtml
So from that I gather that the moon is waxing.

And, from here: http://www.usenature.com/article_moon_cycle.htm
The Waxing of the moon, is the period that runs between the New Moon and the Full Moon. The influence it carries during this time is wonderful for building, gathering or creating new things. The waxing moon is a great time to start new projects, sign up for a course, be creatively expressive, anything related to generating new aspects of life, or recreating the old.

Now of course this doesn't mean that you shouldn't let go of something during the waxing moon, or that you can't sign up for something new in the Waning moon. It does mean that if you have plans for this kind of work, including the tidal pull of the different moon phases in your plan, will support your actions in the same way that swimming with or against the tide makes your swim easier or more difficult.

One final important point to make about working with the Moon, is that it helps to realise that all things have the need for both generating and clearing. This means that both aspects of the lunar cycle can be used to your advantage for any particular issue or project. For example, if you are looking at having a huge clean-up at home, you could plan and design everything, including any furniture/room arrangment changes, during the waxing time. This is your time for creating new looks and new ways to live. You could then go on to do the cleaning up work during the Waning period. The perfect time to let go of the old, so that the new designs can take their place.

There is so much more about the effects of the moon on us as human beings. Learning to work with the moon and how she affects us can result in a much deeper understanding of ourselves and how much more power we have in our lives than perhaps we've realised. By simply becoming aware of the phases of the moon and the effects that it has on your life, you have made a great start to a new level of empowerment!

GryffinSong

My opinion. :) If the moon in the card looks like it could be waxing OR waning, don't try to force it to mean one or the other. This way, your intuition can have both to work with. See whether you interpret it as waxing or waning in a reading, and that might give you more information to work with in the context of that particular day/issue/spread. :D

Grigori

I'd say definately waxing.

If you look at this diagram of the Tree of Life, you can see the Sphere of Yesod at the bottom, above Malkuth. Yesod is the Moon, Malkuth the Earth.

Magic is often done whie the moon is waxing, as it means the crescent (light) is more on the right hand side of Yesod/Moon, the side of the Pillar of Mercy (the nice stuff). When the moon is waning, the light is on the left hand side, the side of the Pillar of Severity (the harder parts of life), so its considered less favorable.

In the Two of Swords, its definataly on the right hand side strongly, and so clearly waxing I think.

In the actual night sky though its a whole different story, as it moves in different directions depending on where you are on earth. In Australia for example it waxes from bottom to top, rather than right to left.

PAMUYA

I'd say definately waxing....

In the actual night sky though its a whole different story, as it moves in different directions depending on where you are on earth. In Australia for example it waxes from bottom to top, rather than right to left.

Thank you for bringing up this point, I would have never of thought of that!!