Blessing/Prayer before a reading

Freyja of V

Do any of you say a blessing or prayer before a reading?

I couldn't find one, so I made one up:

"Dear Spirit Guide, I promise to be open and to use the cards before me to gain insight and wisdom of thyself".

Does anyone have a blessing or prayer they would like to share? Anything better?

HOLMES

well

I dont' have one better..

but what I do , and get my clients to do if they are there..
hold the cards sideways.

dear creator
bless these cards
give us guidance
protect and look after their loved ones
give us courage
thanks you from my heart.

DaughterOfDanu

I like to ask Cerridwen (One of my favorite Celtic Goddesses) to bless my cards. In her story she has a cauldron and in it is a brew where the first three drops grant great wisdom and knowledge.

Tanga

"Sun, Moon, Stars, Infinity
I am that of which I Seek

Lord, Lady, Sacred Androgyne
I am all that which I meet

Powered by the Seven Spheres
I grow in strength unseared

Spirits speak!
Lux Veritas Pax (OR) - Luce Verita e Pace

(*"Luce, Verita e Pace", if I'm in more of an Italian mood. This last line in Latin has recently been edited since an ATer gave a useful comment about the use of Latin :) )

Explanation:
1) "Sun moon..." Modified from a Sanskrit mantra "Ra Ma Da Sa, Sa, Se, So, Hung" - meaning "I am Infinity, I belong to and contain it". I find this mantra grounding.

2) "I am that..." From the Sanskrit mantra "Tattwam Asi" meaning "I am that which I seek:I become in practice all that I am in potential". This is empowerment and self blessing or purification.

3) "Lord, Lady,... I am all..."
Invoking my Deities.

4) "Powered by the Seven Spheres, I grow..."
This is an echo of my 7 directional construction of a magickal circle of protection (North, East, South, West, Above, Below and Within).

5) "Spirits Speak! Lux..."
Denoting the purpose of the magick - For light, truth and peace to be conveyed in a useful way to the querent via my higher self. (Using some Latin).

SO:
Ground, Empower, Purify, Invoke, Protect, and Work.
This is a pagan pattern of construction for a space to work magick (personally modified and shortened ofcourse - I'm Wiccan).

This came as inspiration to me after I had asked the same question you have just asked, and ruminated on the replies I recieved.
:) :)

n.b. "Traditionally" - 'Protect' should come before 'Invoke' - however in my little chant here this order just sounds better and easier to remember.

Freyja of V

"Sun, Moon, Stars, Infinity
I am that of which I Seek

Lord, Lady, Sacred Androgyne
I am all that which I meet

Powered by the Seven Spheres
I grow in strength unseared

Spirits speak!
Lux Veritas Pacem"

SO:
Ground, Empower, Purify, Invoke, Protect, and Work.
This is a pagan pattern of construction for a space to work magic (personally modified and shortened course).

This came as inspiration to me after I had asked the same question you have just asked, and ruminated on the replies I recieved.
:) :)

n.b. "Traditionally" - 'Protect' should come before 'Invoke' - however in my little chant here this order just sounds better and easier to remember.

I love it! It includes everything needed just right. Thank you for your post and your posts and help with my shuffling problem. :thumbsup:

Freyja of V

I dont' have one better..

but what I do , and get my clients to do if they are there..
hold the cards sideways.

dear creator
bless these cards
give us guidance
protect and look after their loved ones
give us courage
thanks you from my heart.

This is nice too. It's short and sweet. Thank you.:cool2:
May I ask...Why hold the card sideways? Just wondering?

Freyja of V

I wasn't going to share this, but I did write this when I first started learning Tarot, and I wrote it to help me learn and remember what the Major and Minor Arcana represent. Now that I don't need it, I say the one above.

I don't know how good it is, but It worked for me and maybe it could help other newbies who see it. Warning: it is long.

" I ask my inner guide (or spirit guide)* to...

please allow the Major Arcana to reveal any life-changing experiences or events and lessons to be learned...

to allow the Wands to be lit with the fire of my desires and ambitions...

to allow the Cups to be filled with my emotions...

to allow the double-edge Swords to cut both ways and to present me with problems as well as solutions...

and to allow the Pentacles to blanket me and my loved ones, with security and good health.

So be it"

*use whichever you prefer: inner guide or spirit guide or anyone else you'd rather call to.:livelong:

Tanga

I wasn't going to share this, but I did write this when I first started learning Tarot, and I wrote it to help me learn and remember what the Major and Minor Arcana represent. Now that I don't need it, I say the one above.

I don't know how good it is, but It worked for me and maybe it could help other newbies who see it. Warning: it is long.

" I ask my inner guide (or spirit guide)* to...

please allow the Major Arcana to reveal any life-changing experiences or events and lessons to be learned...

:) So may it be! (I hate saying the word "mote" Lol). "Amen" for anyone who doesn't understand "so mote it be". Lol.

HallowedNight

I don't really have a specific prayer or anything, but I do always take a moment to just kind of close my eyes and say a few things just in my head. And although I consider myself more spiritual than religious, I do occasionally recite the St. Michael prayer if I feel like the energy of a reading is really strong or if I'm feeling particularly vulnerable in regards to my own energy. So it really depends on how I'm feeling, I guess. c:

Lucas Prince of Cats

I'm thinking more of giving it a traditional request before doing readings with it.