How to make your readings Positive? Empower the Querent, create Positive energy and v

Alexa899

Hi!!

How are you?

How do you get Positive and empowering results from the tarot? I used to read in 2013 but found that the results were dark. Either I got positive predictions that didn't come true, or negative predictions that always came true.

I took a long break from the tarot and got into Law of Attraction instead, which I got incredible results from (like magic and miracles). After some years away from the tarot I grew curious about it again; I wanted to deepen my connection to the psychic and mystical realms and so turned back to tarot. However the readings I do are still the same; the negatives are coming true whereas the positive isn't materialising.

I would really like to explore reading Tarot professionally but obvs I want to be offering Positive, empowering and good energy readings. I don't know why the readings I have been getting and doing (both for myself and Friends and family) have been sour but if there is a way I can keep Tarot in my life and use it for good, i would really Love to learn more about this. I love the tarot, the symbolism, the artwork, the journey etc. I would like to give readings to people where both the manifestations and the energy are positive and good and cool..like how they are with Law of Attraction

If anyone has any experiences they'd like to share that be really helpful :) thank you guys

Tanga

Hmm, well here's a quote from a lovely article that I read once...(and particularly relevant for me, as I'm a therapist :) ) :

"A good Tarot reading, like good psychotherapy, reveals what has been hidden, shines light on the (possible) path ahead, and suggests which attitudes and actions are likely to prove productive.
...end the session in a way that dramatically highlights what is most useful and important for the querent to remember."

(- Dr. Elinor Greenberg. Gestalt Therapist and Tarot reader ).

Or if you prefer - Jackie Barnes' 'Principles of Tarot' (Jackie, taught me Tarot).
1) Place the past into a meaningful perspective
2) Understand the present
3) Reveal alternatives that may exist in the future.

It's helpful to end on a positive note - giving the querent something that they can work with (because there is always something that someone can work on - could be a change in their attitude...). If the reading is "heavy" - I may pull an upbeat oracle card or an extra Tarot card as a "message from the Universe" for them.

Barleywine

Although it's been said "every cloud has a silver lining," in truth not all of them do. But it can probably be said with some confidence that nearly all readings contain an instructive lesson (even if it's "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.")

The main abilities I bring to bear, especially in more negative situations, are sensitivity to the nuances of the spread, really listening to my clients "with all my senses" (assuming they make an attempt to communicate and don't just shut down on all channels), careful use of language and an ability to "shift gears" from a mundane slant to a more psychological or intuitive focus. Having a good story-teller's "ear" is another plus. You can sometimes express things in metaphor that would be too discouraging in more unvarnished terms. Empowerment is always my goal, and one way or another I usually deliver.

Ebony

Something to keep in mind is that since you have this precedent in your mind that the positive readings you do are false and the negative ones come true, your very belief in this pattern could perpetuate it (meaning that your lack of belief that you will receive accurate positive messages could be causing you to receive false positive messages and accurate negative ones.) When we draw cards and interpret them the action of drawing and the interpretation of the messages run through our mind, where they basically get altered by our own expectations. I guess if you have studied the law of attraction then you probably already know of this phenomenon. It sure is annoying! So you may want to do something to build your confidence in being able to receive positive, accurate messages from the cards. (such as reading when your mind is very clear and when you have faith that you can receive this sort of message.)

Regarding reading for others, that is certainly a difficult situation. In a way, some of the most powerful readings can at times address things that the individual doesn't want to hear, which can make the querent either happy to finally know something, or it could make them mad and reject the reading/you. So when you do readings for others, sometimes there isn't always a positive thing that needs to be addressed, and that is really up to you as to what type of reader you want to be. I am certainly not saying that positive messages are bad in any way, but sometimes it isn't what would help the person the most. Sometimes, like the tower, the old needs to be taken down before the new can be built. As another has already said, ending on a good note and considering alternatives that may exist in the future are always good ways to end. Though, again, sometimes people actually do need to hit rock-bottom for something to actually get through, so sometimes doing damage-control too soon could actually prevent a realization from "setting in". How people learn and grow is vastly different and rather complicated. There isn't really one fail-proof operating procedure. I guess when you are doing readings for money though that really puts the focus onto wanting them to believe that the reading was useful and good (even if it wasn't) instead of on what is actually best for them to hear (which may be a strong kick in the pants at times!)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sulis

One thing that I do if I get a reading that looks as if it's ending on a negative note is ask what can I do to either prevent or deal with that negative thing..
I really believe like Tanga, that readings should be useful and not harbingers of doom and gloom. A reading is a good reading when the querant finds it useful and can take positive steps to improve their situation.

Cocobird55

If a reading ends badly, I treat it as a learning experience, and point out what the querent can do differently.

Nemia

I always say that the tarot is like the queen of England: it has the right to be consulted, to warn and to encourage.

I don't do predictive readings except for tendencies that I can see in the cards (if you don't change what you're doing right now, it's possible that the development goes towards XYZ... which is either a warning or an encouragement). I do reflective readings.

By focusing on questions that lead to action items (what do I have to know to make a good decision about my job? instead of: will I quit my job?) and on explorations of motivations, desires, inner obstacles, truths we don't want to face, I don't give any power over to the cards. The power to decide, to act, to think and know is always in the querents' hands. That's empowering in my book even if it's not very mystical.

We have lots of inner wisdom, like a little bird singing in the middle of an industrial area which is so full with buildings, streets, factories, shops etc that you can't hear it. The archetypes of the tarot can help us hear the voice of that bird. That's for me a more wonderful thing than predictions that can go right or wrong.

So many aspects influence the future. I think it's safer and more interesting to identify patterns and tendencies than giving predictions.

(In the Lenormand, that's different and I treat it differently. But for me, tarot's great strength is the exploration of our inner world and the reflection of our innermost motivations, dreams, fears and desires.)

Sentient

We have lots of inner wisdom, like a little bird singing in the middle of an industrial area...

Nemia, what a striking metaphor. And like the industrial area, our inner environment can become degraded, leaving our true spirit ignored, isolated and unheard.

When we read for others, we try help them hear that bird, help them find the healthful balance their lives lack.

FoxofInari

If a reading I do ends on a negative note, I use my own experiences and insights in order to advise the client on what they can do. As someone else here mentioned, I also often draw extra cards, using a question such as 'What can xxxxx do in order to prevent this?'

Grizabella

You could make up some spreads of your own that will allow for specific positives in a reading. And adding cards to give advice after a reading seems to end on a more negative note would be a good idea, too, if the spread hasn't allowed for it.

I used to think I couldn't make my own spreads and admired those who could, but it was just my lack of self-confidence in reading that caused me to feel that way. It's quite simple to do. Whatever the question is, and whatever areas of the situation you specifically want to know more about are the topic and positions you make for any particular question. :)