Universal Fantasy - 4 of Swords

DreamGhost

I've been looking at this card lately.

When I first saw it, I thought that maybe it was a shrine or monument to a great warrior, or even god. As I looked at the candles, though, and the respectful yet sad way the swords are laid out against the statue's base, I realized that this could be a tomb. If so, the three swords could possibly have come from the rest of his companions--placed there as a gesture of respect.

I am not sure, however, if there is signifigance with the triangle pattern the swords seem to be laid in. There three candles in between the swords, though, so maybe it is signifigant unless the candles were just placed in that way for appearance's sake.

I'm thinking the stone in the background, behind the figure in the frame of the window, are wall segments because the one on the right side seems to extend flatly to the other piece like a wall segment might.

I get the impression that this is a place where the four heroes once adventured.

Queen of Disks

I first thought the statue was a shrine, but now I see DreamGhost's point, and I agree that it's a tomb. The statue does look funerary. It may be that the statue is of a woman who is buried there. Or it may not be. The swords and candles look like offerings. The RWS Four of Swords give the impression that the knight sleeping may rise again. The UF Four of Swords, however give the impression of eternal rest and death.

Rede Seeker

War Memorial?

I get a Fallen Soldier/War Memorial vibe from this card. The Statue would be a Nike/Justice Spirit. She's veiled and the winds of change tug at her drapery, but the wind is at her back as is the dawn/sunset (can't tell which). Whatever happened, this is the morning after.

The Statue is on the third tier of the shrine - the most-high place.

Shuvano

Queen of Disks said:
I first thought the statue was a shrine, but now I see DreamGhost's point, and I agree that it's a tomb. The statue does look funerary. It may be that the statue is of a woman who is buried there. Or it may not be. The swords and candles look like offerings. The RWS Four of Swords give the impression that the knight sleeping may rise again. The UF Four of Swords, however give the impression of eternal rest and death.

Wow, I agree with this interpretation.....but I also noticed the arch in the background and surrounding the statue and visually compare it in my head with other arches around the world (specifically the Arc de Triumph in Paris)......the Arc de Triumph was a war memorial erected to commemorate those who died in battle for France and for the unknown soldiers......so taking that into account, this interpretation fits quite well.

So, IMHO, it is a tomb, a memorial, and a place of inspiration/meditation/reflection.....

elvenstar

Some alternatives to the tomb, although I sometimes see that too.

This card sometimes reminds me of a story I've read (was it Dragonlance?) where there is a statue of a goddess that the heroes come across. They believe that one of their friends is dead, but she is alive and healed and they find her there. I think I remember another one (Eddings?) where they similarly come across a statue of a goddess that comes to life and speaks to them. So the idea of rest and healing, as well as faith and unexpected hope are connected with this card for me.

The statue seems like it could come alive any moment, but the right circumstances are needed. There are many many stories about people turned into stone for various reasons (Narnia is one) who then come back to life. But until that right moment they are frozen in time and wait. Which is what is needed some times, to remove ones self from the fast current of life and just stay still and feel the wind making the candles flicker. The three swords are arranged in a non-combative way. It is not a time for war, but rest, healing and reflection.

Other times it makes me wonder what it is that is needed to free the person from their stone prison. What action, word, or spell will do the trick?