King of Swords Throne

Amazon

If this question has been posted before please forgive me but I could find no reference to what I am looking for with a search.

During a reading a few days ago the person I was reading for asked me what the couple (what appears to be 2 people) on the throne just above the King of Swords left shoulder symbolised. Well... I had never noticed it before (I love how after all the years I have been reading I still discover symbology of the cards).

I would be most grateful if someone could give me the answer to this puzzle as I was unable to find out myself.

Thankyou so much

Amazon :)

rwcarter

I've never noticed that couple either! At first I was going to say it was a pair of lovers but not "the Lovers" until I remembered that "the Lovers" is an Air card. But what could that mean...?

Since one aspect of the Lovers is choice, the appearance of the couple on the KS's thrown could suggest that he made a good choice based on logic instead of emotion. Also he could've married well, against based on a logical choice.

Rodney

Metafizzypop

Hi Amazon. Your friend has a really sharp eye. I bought the RWS deck back in the 80's, and I never noticed those people etched on the throne. But, after taking a look at it, I thought of a possibility for what it means.

The King of Swords is someone who is very severe in his judgement. He lays down the law, and he is very businesslike. He is a stern judge, and he makes his decisions with cold logic.

The drawing of the couple is behind him, so he can't see it. Not unless he turns his head on purpose to look at it. Now what I think this means is that the King of Swords makes his decisions using his cold logic, but does not see the effect of his actions on human relationship. The human factor is "behind him" so to speak. So he doesn't take it into account in his decision-making.

The reason I feel that this is the meaning is because of personal experience. I had a casual friend that is no longer a friend because she was so obsessed with following and enforcing (her interpretation of) rules that she didn't take into account what she was doing to the people around her. She knew I didn't like what she was doing, but she did it anyway. Any time I did a reading about the situation I got the King of Swords, usually to represent this woman, and the card was usually reversed.

I think the King of Swords is very cold when he's upright, and when he's reversed he just completely misses the point, no pun intended.

rwcarter

Metafizzypop said:
The drawing of the couple is behind him, so he can't see it. Not unless he turns his head on purpose to look at it. Now what I think this means is that the King of Swords makes his decisions using his cold logic, but does not see the effect of his actions on human relationship. The human factor is "behind him" so to speak. So he doesn't take it into account in his decision-making.
I like that! I really like that!

Rodney

Metafizzypop

Thanks Rodney, I'm glad it made sense. :)

Maskelyne

It's interesting that this stern and logical King is backed by butterflies and a pair of lovers. I can see Meta's take on the reversed meaning as these are the things he has turned his back on. I think you can also pivot that to the positive and say that his logic is backed up by love, beauty, and whimsey. I see Waite makes no mention of it in his Pictorial Key, so maybe this is Smith's contribution?

ana luisa

Butterflies do not live long so it may imply that, to the King, minding "love" or "relationship" issues is not for him because "they won't last anyway". He's looking for something that, in his eyes, is SOLID and LASTING and has SUBSTANCE.

Amazon

Thankyou so much for the replies.

mettafizzypop... I really like the way you have interperted the couple on the throne & I appreciate the way you have personalised the card/meaning. I can really see & feel what you mean about the King not seeing the human factor.

Rodney... I also thought of the The Lovers at first & it looks as if the male is pointing toward the King's head... again that may mean being to logical or being 'in your head' when making decisions.

maskelyne... There have been a number of things I have picked up that have made me think PCS has thrown in a bit of her own take on the cards (which I love the idea of). I have been looking into her a little more & have purchased some of her work inc. the Commemorative Set by her from Amazon.com

I love the symbolism in the cards & am always trying to find out what everything means.

The funny thing is the woman that picked it up knew nothing of the cards. I was amazed & extremely intrigued as to the meaning & I thank you all again!

Amazon

Rosanne

Hmmm King of the Spirits of the Air..........Fairies??
They were very popular subjects at the time.

caridwen

Could anyone scan this for me please?